What are you playing now?

Started playing Pikmin 3 and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Both are shaping up to be really good games!

Thief Gold and Men of War. The latter is particularly interesting, since I've taken to stealing tanks from whomever is on the other side of the barricade.

Fun to drive around a bunch of Crusaders while you're playing as the Afrika Korps.

Oh yeah, I absolutely love Men of War. They pulled off the RTS-action hybrid really well. Especially fun in co-op.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Entered the Withering gardens in Divinity: Original Sin. Lots of environmental hazards. Glad I have some points spent in telekinesis. My party will soon reach level 6 and then I can have a go at some level 7 skeletons that have been bothering me. I did manage to kill a pack of level 5 wolves. That was a fun battle.

GTA 4 - mainly fooling around with the ENB mod I got to make it look right

FIFA 14 - Leading Arminia Bielefeld to glory (though I suspect this team doesn't exist in real life)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Playing Final Fantasy VIII has reminded me just how insanely needlessly confounded storylines are in a lot of Japanese games.  This isn't just confined to some of the Final Fantasy games, either, a lot of Japanese games deliver their stories in a very cryptic and confusing way, and then there's Kojima who has been engaged with himself in a battle of oneupmanship to create the most ridiculously contrived convoluted storyline imaginable.  I wonder if it's a lost in translation thing or a cultural difference that causes the Japanese games that make it west to be so bafflingly needlessly confounded?  Somebody needs to tell Japanese game designers that telling a story in a relatively straightforward, easy to digest, manner isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It's interesting because the history of Japanese filmmaking seems to me quite the opposite. There's a quote from iconic director Yasujiro Ozu (Tokyo Story): "Watching Fantasia I understood we could never win the war. "These people seem to like complications", I thought to myself."

Granted he passed more than 50 years ago now and I'm not familiar with contemporary Japanese film, so perhaps it's gone the same way as their games. :p

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Finished a replay of TWitcher2, including going back and rescuing Triss at the end instead of unmanning Dethmold/ rescuing a different helpless young lady from a dungeon, which I hadn't actually done before. The endings are really quite carefully balanced in terms of consequences, perhaps a bit too much so. On Iorveth's path I'd have quite happily skewered Shilard in Radovid's dungeon and it's not like you/ Geralt don't have ample and direct reason to- and can act such in similar situations like Malena in Chapter 2- but you just don't get the option. So, he arrives at the meeting to merrily asterisk things up further. If on the other hand you rescue Triss then Shilard's list doesn't arrive because he gets randomly killed by random named Nilfgardian for some random reason. Which is, maybe, practically, that if you don't kill him on one path when given the opportunity you also shouldn't when given the same opportunity on the other, but he has to die to generate the consequential balance of him (not) turning up with his list of names.

The other flaws I really noticed are that combat is reliant on unskippable animations (or perhaps most accurately that there's some input lag/ animation lag between pressing roll or spell or throw and it actually happening, as if the animation has a second of idle at the beginning) and stun lock too often, hardly a new observation, and that Geralt frequently walks into dangerous situations involving talking to obviously dangerous men or even the Draugir, then stands around with no sword drawn. Still, an optimised Geralt really does feel like a powerhouse at the end, the story is good for a video game and well told and it has whet my appetite for TWitcher3. Hope they have Berengar in it, for those who kept him alive...

Edited by Zoraptor

Just beat Shadowrun Returns vanilla campaign.

Yeah, it's good but not quite great. The story pacing definitely felt rather hurried because you had to cram it in a game that's around 15-20 hours long and filled with 1-2 hour stretches where there's no real story going on but tactical combat, and it's pretty linear as well. Still, I am glad I spent that $5 on this game, and both the level of the writing and the game mechanics are promising enough to make me look forward to the Dragonfall expansion, which is apparently better in just about every way and that honestly sounds fantastic.

Also, because of this game I've had the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer on loop for 2 days. Personal, responsibility, personal, responsibility...

Lots of games, Battleblock Theater (chapter 6), The Witcher 2 (end of chapter 1, thought I was on chapter 2) and I tried Adventures of Shuggy. Throw in some Kingdoms of Amalur every now and then and spice it with some Puppeteer and Tales of Xillia.

I'm enjoying Far Cry 2, I have got use to the driving as it is a little awkward in the beginning. I also find it very entertaining to see most of the mercenaries you fight are basically South Africans or Australians, I like hearing the accents :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm enjoying Far Cry 2, I have got use to the driving as it is a little awkward in the beginning. I also find it very entertaining to see most of the mercenaries you fight are basically South Africans or Australians, I like hearing the accents :)

I've never played FC2, but I really hope your not enjoying those awful fake aussie accents that are often used in games and television.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Guest Slinky

Felt like playing something lightweight and easy to get into, so installed Skyrim. Didn't go overboard with mods, installed mostly just the ones that make the game less annoying to me. I just wish there was a good mod that increases head bob, Skyrim has it so low it almost feels like playing Wolfenstein 3D sliding around the landscape. I did find one, but it apparently works only when not wielding weapons. Bethesda sure has a talent to make movement feel weird.

But I'd expect roaming around whacking people with an axe will keep me entertained enough until I get my hands on Civilization: Beyond Earth.

I've never played FC2, but I really hope your not enjoying those awful fake aussie accents that are often used in games and television.

As an Australian, I love fake Australian accents in media. :ninja:

I am enjoying the accents but I'm not sure how accurate the Australian accents are? I think South African accents are not bad and there is some Afrikaans if I'm not mistaken?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

100%ed Rogue Legacy. It's an alright game, I guess. I think the "mage" classes - particularly Dragon - are mostly useless, with the exception of Spellsword...if you spawn with the right spell(s). I wasn't as in love with it as a lot of other people were - I honestly didn't really like the Rogue"lite" elements too much. Oh well.

100%ed the first 2 (of 3) chapters of Bit.Trip.Runner. I put a few hours into it a year or so ago, then quit because I got stuck on a particular level, (1-11). Came back to it yesterday, and it seems a lot easier now than it did then...although 1-11 was still super hard. I went through all of chapter 2 dying maybe ten times. Weird.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.