Avcon Avellone Q&A

So saw Chris Q&A Panel. Was very interesting.

So I asked about Obsidian doing different genres in the future. Chris response was that they have an unannounced game from a publisher in the works that we'll hear about in the next year.

Other questions were:

What Chris did in Alpha protocol. Apparently he only came onto the project 2 years into production, watched a lot of 24, enjoyed that the timed dialogues stressed the play testers as much as combat and that Obsidian built a mo-cap studio for the game that is now used as a place where the team has DnD nights. Said it was a learning experience.

Questioned about PoE and where pendulum swung between focus story/characters/world creation/combat. Chris response was that he feels that PoE was close to Baldur's Gate feel.

Questioned about the White Wolf license. Chris said he loves the license and he and Obsidian would love to obtain it and make another Vampire game like Troika.

Questioned about his favourite event in FTL. He said his favourite was the new race which devours ships.

Was asked about his thoughts about crowd funding and whether it had a ceiling. His thoughts were that it doesn't and we'll see kickstarters with AAA funding levels as people get more and more comfortable with crowd funding.

Question about Ulysses and the foreshadowing in the FO:NV DLC. Said he was disappointed that Ulysses didn't make the main game, and was glad that Obs was able to put him in as an antagonist in one of the DLC. Said that Obs was able to add foreshadowing to the DLC because Bethesda committed to four DLC's. Then went on to how obs had done that with kotor 2 hoping they would get a crack at 3.

Questioned about an Obs Koto3 3. Said while he and Obs would love to do it, Disney/Lucasart have their own thing/thoughts/plans.

Question about Wasteland 2. Talked about his love for the original and how WL2 reactivity and that gamers would be seeing new things in their 2nd and 3rd playthroughs.

Was asked about the DnD license and if Obs would be willing to do another one. Chris said they would love to, and would love to do it in the same way as PoE.

No one asked about romances.

• Like 8
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

So saw Chris Q&A Panel. Was very interesting.

So I asked about Obsidian doing different genres in the future. Chris response was that they have an unannounced game from a publisher in the works that we'll hear about in the next year.

Other questions were:

What Chris did in Alpha protocol. Apparently he only came onto the project 2 years into production, watched a lot of 24, enjoyed that the timed dialogues stressed the play testers as much as combat and that Obsidian built a mo-cap studio for the game that is now used as a place where the team has DnD nights. Said it was a learning experience.

Questioned about PoE and where pendulum swung between focus story/characters/world creation/combat. Chris response was that he feels that PoE was close to Baldur's Gate feel.

Questioned about the White Wolf license. Chris said he loves the license and he and Obsidian would love to obtain it and make another Vampire game like Troika.

Questioned about his favourite event in FTL. He said his favourite was the new race which devours ships.

Was asked about his thoughts about crowd funding and whether it had a ceiling. His thoughts were that it doesn't and we'll see kickstarters with AAA funding levels as people get more and more comfortable with crowd funding.

Question about Ulysses and the foreshadowing in the FO:NV DLC. Said he was disappointed that Ulysses didn't make the main game, and was glad that Obs was able to put him in as an antagonist in one of the DLC. Said that Obs was able to add foreshadowing to the DLC because Bethesda committed to four DLC's. Then went on to how obs had done that with kotor 2 hoping they would get a crack at 3.

Questioned about an Obs Koto3 3. Said while he and Obs would love to do it, Disney/Lucasart have their own thing/thoughts/plans.

Question about Wasteland 2. Talked about his love for the original and how WL2 reactivity and that gamers would be seeing new things in their 2nd and 3rd playthroughs.

Was asked about the DnD license and if Obs would be willing to do another one. Chris said they would love to, and would love to do it in the same way as PoE.

No one asked about romances.

That's a great post, thanks for taking the time to share his insight  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

To be honest I am glad no one asked about Romance because all those topics you mentioned I find in one way or another more relevant than a Romance debate which shouldn't overshadow more important components of a RPG

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

That's a great post, thanks for taking the time to share his insight  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

To be honest I am glad no one asked about Romance because all those topics you mentioned I find in one way or another more relevant than a Romance debate which shouldn't overshadow more important components of a RPG

someone hacked your account Bruce?

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I think I've just had a heart attack.

someone hacked your account Bruce?

No :)

I don't think I've ever said Romance is the most important part of an RPG, its only important in the interaction between party members which for me represents about 10-15 % of the total entertainment of an RPG.

And the reality is why ask questions on Romance in a live interview when we know there won't be Romance in PoE? That would be an utter waste

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So basically people asked the same questions that everyone else asks Chris in every panel/interview and/or he answered those questions with the same things he always says every panel/interview.

I think I've just had a heart attack.

You should cut down on fried foods.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

• 2 weeks later...

Kickstarter possibility for New Fallout game based on 1 & 2 style?

I would break legs for a chance for another classic Fallout game ; )

( good clean breaks... i'm not without a heart )

Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day...

Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life...