Avcon Avellone Q&A

So Avcon is apparently a gaming/anime convention in Adelaide July 18-20. I was asked by a friend to attend with them, at first I wasn't too interested as I didn't think there would be anything/one worth seeing(who comes to Adelaide?). However when checking the guest list, I saw the Mr Chris Avellone is a guest and is holding a Q&A. So surprise I'm now going.

So my question in this? Anyone have any good questions they would like me to ask? (Assuming I get the chance)

• Like 3
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

If you will have time ask about Ondra deity and her/his godlike appearance please :) I know its quite minor thing but I am quite interested it that particular one

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I know I can rely on you to ask the most important question

" is there going to be Romance in PoE 2 "

:dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

This flew under the radar. My question would be how did he get an invite to a convention the rest of Australia knows nothing about? I had to google to find out about this. And lo and behold there's a website and MCA is a guest. I've never heard of this before. And you're right, who goes to Adelaide? :lol: I thought Melbourne was the primary location for this sort of stuff since a lot of game dev's are based in Melbourne.

So Avcon is apparently a gaming/anime convention in Adelaide July 18-20. I was asked by a friend to attend with them, at first I wasn't too interested as I didn't think there would be anything/one worth seeing(who comes to Adelaide?). However when checking the guest list, I saw the Mr Chris Avellone is a guest and is holding a Q&A. So surprise I'm now going.

So my question in this? Anyone have any good questions they would like me to ask? (Assuming I get the chance)

Ask him something completely off the wall, like if he ever pooped on someone's chest.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Oh, or you could go with things like..  What lessons did he take away from Alpha Protocol when all was said and done?

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Was Annah one of Ravel's daughters?

Should the Wall be torn down and should the Force be slain?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

It's a shame this wasn't in Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane. I'd fly with my partner to Melb or Bris to meet MCA while my partner can go around shopping, meet up with friends or do other stuff. Would have quite a few questions for him. But Adelaide? ugh, no.

Anyway, you can ask him about Kickstarters. Would Obsidian be looking to do them more frequently? Or is there a plan to have them presented every two or three years apart? Any plans to do different genres, sci-fi, horror, lovecraftian, etc. Would they be looking at doing PoE2 through Kickstarter again? The things they've learnt from this Kickstarter that they would definitely change.  There was a recent article with Divinity Original Sin and Swen saying he most likely wouldn't do physical rewards the next time due to the hassle. Would Obsidian be looking at changing the backer tier rewards with the physical rewards tiers to make it more 'cost prohibitive' for backers and try and steer the backers into digital rewards?

And as a general question and not necessarily for Kickstarters. Would Obsidian be looking at doing documentaries or even just small behind the scenes and Q&A's for more of their games for people who buy Collectors Editions?

• Like 1

Also, when pitching new ideas for games to publishers, who comes up with those new ideas for games? Has Chris come up with ideas for a new game on his own? And what have been some of those ideas? If you were confident with pitching some of these games to publishers, why not go back to those games and pitch them as Kickstarter games?

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II

Ask Chris why he doesn't post on the forums like he used to do in the BIS days.

B-but it's not like we care if he posts here or not. We're not here waiting for him everyday or whatever.

Baka Avellone.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

oby is Avellone.

giphy.gif

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I know I can rely on you to ask the most important question

" is there going to be Romance in PoE 2 "

:dancing:

How did I know you would say this? I think I may be psychic.

Ask him something completely off the wall, like if he ever pooped on someone's chest.

I'll admit it, there is more chance of me asking this question than Bruce's.

Anyway, you can ask him about Kickstarters. Would Obsidian be looking to do them more frequently? Or is there a plan to have them presented every two or three years apart? Any plans to do different genres, sci-fi, horror, lovecraftian, etc.

Different genres, or more importantly, an Obsidian sci-fi setting was my own thoughts on my question to Chris.

• Like 4
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

B-but it's not like we care if he posts here or not. We're not here waiting for him everyday or whatever.

Baka Avellone.

I care. :(

Don't  be sad Hiro, I post regularly. Isn't that almost the same as Chris posting,....its very similar right?  :teehee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The first thing coming into my mind when reading the thread title.... "Avcon... Avellone.... does he have his own convention now?"

• Like 9

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Can you ask him about his exact involvement in the writing for PE.

Most Narrative updates speak of Eric Fenstermaker and Carrie Patel but barely ever about Chris. We know he's writing two companions but it would be nice to know if he worked on any NPC / plot dialogues or item descriptions during the Vertical slice phase or for the full game.

Edited by Sensuki

Chris is also the Creative Lead on a new unannounced project, see if you can get any info from him about that - genre, style of RPG, etc etc

Could also ask a bit about their plans for PE's expansion

Edited by Sensuki

You could ask Chris, what are some of the type of projects he'd be willing to take on as Lead Designer if he was asked to do so. Any preferences, eg. Fantasy, sci-fi, horror. Chris' magnum opus is arguably PS:T and does he have a story in him that he'd like to tell that would be as memorable as PS:T? Does he think he can top it?