Excellent read on more progressive games

BruceVC

http://midnightresistance.co.uk/articles/****ty-toys

Guys please read this article that discusses several pertinent issues that we often raise like the privilege that white, straight males have in modern society, there influence in gaming, the definition of censorship  and also how games should  be more inclusive.

But its not a guilt trip, I think the author makes some cogent and thought- provoking points. Don't get put off by the first paragraph, the journalist offers some real insights

I don't agree with everything he says but most of it makes sense, what do you think?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Let's talk about censorship.

When people criticise developers like Ubisoft for not including female playable characters in a game like Assassin's Creed: Unity, it does not prevent the game from being made! Nobody is forcing anyone to include female characters! There is not some guerilla army of political correctness enforcers waiting to round up and destroy game discs because of their bull**** content! Politically unempowered groups - such as feminists in gaming culture - cannot force change on anyone, because THEY ARE UNEMPOWERED!

Pretty much this.

• Like 3

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Let's talk about censorship.

When people criticise developers like Ubisoft for not including female playable characters in a game like Assassin's Creed: Unity, it does not prevent the game from being made! Nobody is forcing anyone to include female characters! There is not some guerilla army of political correctness enforcers waiting to round up and destroy game discs because of their bull**** content! Politically unempowered groups - such as feminists in gaming culture - cannot force change on anyone, because THEY ARE UNEMPOWERED!

Pretty much this.

I agree, for me this is one of the numerous insights he makes

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

If BVC recommends something it must be crap. Not even opening that page.

:lol:

I can't believe you really think that

John Milton 

"Guys please read this article that discusses several pertinent issues that we often raise like the privilege that white, straight males have in modern society, there influence in gaming, the definition of censorship  and also how games should  be more inclusive.

But its not a guilt trip, I think the author makes some cogent and thought- provoking points. Don't get put off by the first paragraph, the journalist offers some real insights

I don't agree with everything he says but most of it makes sense, what do you think?"

Read another anti Volourn article? I get it. I get. I am evil.   I have enslaved many people, I make billions of dollars, and I get everything I want. You know. Prviledge and all that ****. People hating me simply because I happen to be white and male are evil pieces of crap. hate me because you  think I'm a troll (I'm not) is fine. Hating me ebcause I'm white male sie vil so why so evil Bruce?

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Guys please read this article that discusses several pertinent issues that we often raise like the privilege that white, straight males have in modern society, there influence in gaming, the definition of censorship  and also how games should  be more inclusive.

I don't agree with everything he says but most of it makes sense, what do you think?"

Read another anti Volourn article? I get it. I get. I am evil.   I have enslaved many people, I make billions of dollars, and I get everything I want. You know. Prviledge and all that ****. People hating me simply because I happen to be white and male are evil pieces of crap. hate me because you  think I'm a troll (I'm not) is fine. Hating me ebcause I'm white male sie vil so why so evil Bruce?

:lol:

Volo please try to be serious, did you read the article ?

John Milton 

I dislike the concept of "privilege" as defined by crazy SJW/Feminists, it seems to me that the thing that actually matters is inheritance where you directly profited from your ancestor's hard work. That's what I understand as privilege, not the implication that if someone white happens to be great then it must be because of a reason extraneous to him/her. If they want to excuse their failings as the world's fault, that's ok but I would really appreciate if they stopped dragging people in and they stopped shoving it on our faces.
Go do something great and become great instead of complaining about how good other people have it because they were born into it.

• Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Getting called an evil rapist pig, must be Thursday.

• Like 5

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Getting called an evil rapist pig, must be Thursday.

That's what you get for putting your name on the Attractive women's thread.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

If you choose to fill your game with oppressive ****, you are telling the world that you approve of oppressive ****.

So, no more 'dark' settings then?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't agree with everything he says

What points don't you agree with?

Good question, he mentions for example

"forgettable white guy shooting people in the face and rescusing babes in bikinis. Nobody is going to take that Dionysian joy away from you, except yourself, when you grow up"

I think he is generalizing and simplifying why people play certain games. What's wrong with playing a game just for the entertainment factor? Everything doesn't have to be a about a statement. Also its condescending to suggest that people who play certain games are juvenile. The mindless entertainment could be a way escapism from the pressures of RL so we shouldn't judge

• Like 1

John Milton 

a) This person has never heard of the phrase "self censorship".

b) Anyone using the phrase "people of colour" is an idiot, apparently doesn't even have the excuse of being American.

c) Virtual boobs of fictional characters in video games are not "oppressing" anyone.

d) I was lied to, there is no discussion in this article only a buzzword laden rant about some bull**** on social media sites.

• Like 1

If you choose to fill your game with oppressive ****, you are telling the world that you approve of oppressive ****.

So, no more 'dark' settings then?

That's a good point Malc, his statement doesn't make sense. And in fact could inhibit the creative process around gaming. Because what is the definition of "oppressive", its subjective

John Milton 

there ain't enough games that cater to 40-something, self-important native american lawyers.  so, fight the dominant paradigm. hasta la victoria siempre, fifty-four forty or fight. etc.  

uh, what?

stupid article.

HA! Good Fun!

ps to alter content for naive notions that doing so benefits a disfranchised group or necessarily promotes a social agenda that demands attention strikes us as profoundly myopic and more than a little insulting

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I couldn't finish reading it. Douche is the word that comes to mind.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

there ain't enough games that cater to 40-something, self-important native american lawyers.  so, fight the dominant paradigm. hasta la victoria siempre, fifty-four forty or fight. etc.  

uh, what?

stupid article.

HA! Good Fun!

ps to alter content for naive notions that doing so benefits a disfranchised group or necessarily promotes a social agenda that demands attention strikes us as profoundly myopic and more than a little insulting

I have to honest, I was perhaps a bit premature to say the article was "excellent"

I do find it interesting and it does raise good points but I am also finding several flaws in the writers thinking process

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

"forgettable white guy shooting people in the face and rescusing babes in bikinis. Nobody is going to take that Dionysian joy away from you, except yourself, when you grow up"

I think he is generalizing and simplifying why people play certain games. What's wrong with playing a game just for the entertainment factor? Everything doesn't have to be a about a statement. Also its condescending to suggest that people who play certain games are juvenile. The mindless entertainment could be a way escapism from the pressures of RL so we shouldn't judge

You're okay with the guy playing hero and rescuing babes in bikinis? I'll direct you to this site: Tropes vs Women in Video Games

You're okay with the guy playing hero and rescuing babes in bikinis? I'll direct you to this site: Tropes vs Women in Video Games

That's a good link, but no I'm not necessarily saying that rescuing babes in bikinis is wrong or right

I'm saying that there are several reasons why someone may play a game like this and its not all about someone being juvenile

John Milton 

I couldn't finish it either. It came across as a bit of a mindless rant with a lot of shouting. Note to the author: If you want to get your point across, SHOUTING at your audience doesn't help. And while **** may not seem like a swear word to some people, others may find it offensive. Other words can be used instead with dramatic effect and may have more of an impact to readers without offending anyone.

I couldn't finish it either. It came across as a bit of a mindless rant with a lot of shouting. Note to the author: If you want to get your point across, SHOUTING at your audience doesn't help. And while **** may not seem like a swear word to some people, others may find it offensive. Other words can be used instead with dramatic effect and may have more of an impact to readers without offending anyone.

I never knew you were so sensitive Hiro?

I have had debates with people on these forums about offensive and unacceptable comments on websites like RPGCodex, for example people joking about rape, and was told " its the Internet, people must learn to have thick skins"

But now this one article seems to have created such outrage because the author is deemed to be shouting? What happened to the importance of free speech and having a thick skin?

• Like 1

John Milton