Wasteland 2 Kickstarted

I've been playing it for two hours +. My thoughts so far:

-Great dialogue, cool NPCs

-The game accommodates for most actions, even weird ones, like trying to dig up a fresh grave! :biggrin:

-I picked "Seasoned" for difficulty, and combat so far has been deceptively simple (in reality, it has quite some depth to it)

-Nice traps and skill checks everywhere, including cool secrets

-Non-combat skills matter a lot!

-The crafting/repairs/jammed systems are so far better than in F:NV

-Most actions you take, as well as most choices (even at level-ups, picking attributes and skills), always come at a cost

-Beautiful areas, cool ambient sound effects

- I reckon, judging by what I've seen so far, this game exceeds what Shadowrun Returns achieved, including Dragonfall. 

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I see by it updating in my Steam account that it's out already (rather than the usual 1 PM EST time).  Pretty sweet, though it doesn't do me any good because I'm off to work.  Stupid work, always getting in the way of things.  :p

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

- I reckon, judging by what I've seen so far, this game exceeds what Shadowrun Returns achieved, including Dragonfall. 

SRR project had considerably smaller budget and it was first and foremost about making a powerful game editor for Shadowrun community. There's a lot of UGC modules by now so I'd say mission accomplished.

My five-hour-into-the-game report:

-There are plenty of quirky humour in among some pretty terrifying events.

-I have let on board a few NPC now and then, and they are pretty fleshed out, and triggers here and there have them say stuff about the environs too.

-I love that there are critical successes and critical failures. If you mess up some computer code on a safe badly, then no soup for you!

-The music is very good and fitting for this post-apocalyptic theme

-Ammo is scarce. I'd advice you to have back-up weapons on most of your characters

-The story so far is entertaining. It's not mind-blowing or brilliant, but it's certainly good enough.

-A pretty big annoyance in the game: You can toggle party-selected and individual-selected. Often, however, you forget about that, which leads to my entire party firing at something, and if stuff like that happens three times in a row, your party is out of ammo. It's my fault, I know, but I need to see a clearer sign of it being the entire party taking the same action. :)

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Absolutely! I'm enjoying myself thoroughly.

Despite those five hours, I have merely moved on the overland map twice, and I have solved but a few quests. I'm clicking on everything, reading everything; I'm a slowpoke in a first playthrough like this. Most encounters and combat have been pretty nice, with skills and resources being carefully balanced.

It took a while to get used to the UI - and also to the fact that you can rotate the camera - everything is 3D, obviously - which can be important if you'd like to see and find most stuff there is, like me. Obviously, the Z-button highlights important objects, but still.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

30GB? What the hell? O.o

Anyway, I'm giddy. I have'nt been this giddy since Witcher 2. Weee! :D

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I think the opening is really weak, though I've heard other people say it gets better. It feels bland, bland, bland out the gates. Also made me realize yet again (last time was Original Sin) how much I prefer the 2d background stuff to the wonky 3d RPGs with movable cameras. It just feels oh-so-clunky to me.

On the positive side, character creation is a lot of fun, as is the skill usage, and audio is great so far. Love the sounds and the music sets the mood.

Just a shame that it seems to be the classic RPG case of having a really weak and boring opening. I hope it gets better and more intriguing.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Is anyone playing the full version yet. ?/10

I am, but I can't really give it a fair score, I reckon, until at least 10-15 hours more, coz I need to see how the characters behave when they have levelled up a bit, and also I need to check out more of the story, various areas, enemies, combat and general "feels". However, I think it's pretty safe to say that it's beyond 6 out of 10 already. :)

EDIT: Starwars is right about the opening. I wouldn't say weak, but story-wise and the way you're ushered into the game, your motives, as it were, are indeed bland and complacency-laden for the first 3+ hours, at least if you take my wasteland route. Don't get discouraged by that, though. The opening sections of the NWN2 series weren't exactly fantastic either, the same goes for those in BG1, two games that I absolutely adore.

EDIT2: I just checked the size of the Steam version of the game: 21 GB under Common, and merely 10 MB, for saves and characters under My Games. If I check the size in Steam, it says 21.9 GB on my C: disk.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

I think I know why: There are LARP-y movie cutscenes in the game, pretty long ones too, at least early on. So, if there's more of that, there will be a big download. I still recall Wolfenstein: NO, with its 45+ GB download.

Party created and ready for service with the desert rangers.

Starting at ranger difficulty, one down from the hardest.

Edited by Marceror

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Been playing it for a few hours so far and I'm really enjoying, surprised to be honest.

-Thought the keyword system would annoy me more, thought it might seem like the dialogue wheel, but I'm fine with it. Although full lines are still more preferable.

-Really like how the skills have been incorporated into the game. Most excessive use of skill checks I've seen in a long time.

-Combat is decent, it seems a bit easy but then I started on what would probably be the normal equivalent.

-Obviously the most glaring flaw are the graphics, pretty poor by today's standards. Could see it being an issue for some.

-Did find the AG centre dragged a little, and those annoying spore bombs.

And this:

-A pretty big annoyance in the game: You can toggle party-selected and individual-selected. Often, however, you forget about that, which leads to my entire party firing at something, and if stuff like that happens three times in a row, your party is out of ammo. It's my fault, I know, but I need to see a clearer sign of it being the entire party taking the same action.

Is so very very annoying.

• Like 1
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

It will be interesting to see how well they do compared to one another in the end. InXile seems to be hotter on the PR side of things. Wouldn't be surprised if WL2 will do better financially actually. PE doesn't seem to have the same momentum that Fargo has managed to bring for WL2 and Torment. I think their reliance on word of mouth and doing the "screw you publishers, we're friends with the HARDCORE fans" routine are paying off for them, while OE are pretty neutral about it all since they obviously wants to keep doing publisher funded games pretty badly. There's not the same nerdy "fire" behind PE as with the InXile games I think.

Score-wise, it is my completely uninformed opinion that I think they'll land within the same general areas. PE will get a ton more backlash though since everyone and their mother has an opinion on the IE games while 0.0001% of the gaming crowd today has played Wasteland 1.

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0