RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

6:30 - watch dogs is teaching the kids to hack into ipads!

the more you know!  :sorcerer:

:facepalm:

I wonder, though, why is reading a book on a e-book reader changes the way you perceive it, compared to reading it in a normal paper book?

Some books I've already read in "normal" and on a e-book reader, but I can't say I felt any different.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I wonder, though, why is reading a book on a e-book reader changes the way you perceive it, compared to reading it in a normal paper book?

Some books I've already read in "normal" and on a e-book reader, but I can't say I felt any different.

The theory I saw after the study came out had to do with the brain making more memory connections because more senses are engaged reading a book, turning pages, smelling paper & print, etc than an ereader which does some, but not all, of that.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Spent the whole day invading filthy sinners in DS2, got angry comments full of spite on my steam profile. How do you do this? I want to do it as well, can anyone teach me?

Edited by Bester
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

The theory I saw after the study came out had to do with the brain making more memory connections because more senses are engaged reading a book, turning pages, smelling paper & print, etc than an ereader which does some, but not all, of that.

Yes, not to mention a physical cue, under thumb, indicating how much content remains. 

PC drivers for the Xbox One controller came out today. Except you have to use a micro-USB cable, so no wireless play. 

All Stop. On Screen.

Yeah well I just priced XB1 controllers ... $60 gets you a single unit, no cable, regular batteries, what. 75 frickin' dollars gets you the Play and Charge version with rechargeable batteries and a USB cable--the only option for PC. That is kinda irritating. Presumably a generic microUSB would work with the former, but the price still comes out sixes ... unless the cable that came with my Dualshock 4 is compatible ... but then I'd need to keep replacing batteries. The only deal I see is Amazon, $60.61 for the P&C model. 

All Stop. On Screen.

Off on a bit of a tangent, but so I bought a Wii U Pro controller yesterday, and irritatingly the charging cable is mini-USB. Who else even makes mini-USB stuff today? I think the only other mini-USB device I have is a mothballed camera from the previous decade that I have lying around somewhere, so essentially this is a new connector I'll have to keep lying around.

Doubly irritating because the Wii U Gamepad has its own proprietary charging connector which is pretty much the size of a mini-USB connector. Dammit, just pick one or the other and stick with it at least.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

CCP (you know, the guys of EVE Online and the cancelled World of Darkness MMO), lay off 49 employees.

Some of them pretty key employees (CCP Eterne and CCP Xhagen were apparently among the victims)

EVE Online forums thread

Guardian Article dealing with the layoffs and the gross mismanagement of White Wolf and the WoD project (note that the employee they interview, known as CCP DropBear, voluntarily left the company quite a long time ago, so he doesn't qualify for "bitter just laid off employee"-syndrome)

Polygon article

CCP (you know, the guys of EVE Online and the cancelled World of Darkness MMO), lay off 49 employees.

Some of them pretty key employees (CCP Eterne and CCP Xhagen were apparently among the victims)

EVE Online forums thread

Guardian Article dealing with the layoffs and the gross mismanagement of White Wolf and the WoD project (note that the employee they interview, known as CCP DropBear, voluntarily left the company quite a long time ago, so he doesn't qualify for "bitter just laid off employee"-syndrome)

Polygon article

Layoffs are never good news, I'm sorry to hear that. This is just another example of the tough economic pressures many companies face

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Does anyone know if DS2's season pass is going to appear somewhere other than Steam? It's a bit costly in there.

Edit: nevermind, it JUST appeared on the site I usually shop at.

Edited by Bester

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/05/canny-valley-the-vanishing-of-ethan-carter/#more-211511

Okay watch the video to the end for some action. The scenery looks good as well

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

EVE Online forums thread

Polygon article

Layoffs are never good news, I'm sorry to hear that. This is just another example of the tough economic pressures many companies face

Not wanting to sound like a prick, but "gross mismanagement" is far away from what I see as a tough economic pressure.

• Like 3

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

More the shame then, I like CCP.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The whole CCP affair smells fishy. Letting go of the leftovers from White Wolf would make sense in a way, but there was a "who is who" devblog about CCP Xhagen just last month (oddly enough, by CCP Eterne, one of the other ones that got kicked onto the street). It seems really really weird to do something like that less than a month before firing someone.

Then again, based on what the Guardian article says about management shifting blame to others and CCP Xhagen's job description maybe I shouldn't be so surprised he got sacked. It does, however, bode very very ill for the company's health if that actually was the reason.

On that note, another interesting article about the CCP layoffs.

Edited by marelooke

I thought CCP were some geniuses because of what they've created. Now I see that "good" accidents happen in game dev and they're a rare case of a completely moronic group of people made something good by accident.

• Like 1

Does anybody here know of Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta(which is totally not copying Uncharted and is 10x better than any of the Uncharted games, according to this user-review at least)?

I've never heard of it before, but they advertise Motion Blur as a "feature".  I need to find out who the first person to pollute a video game with motion blur was, build a time machine, travel back in time, and murder him or her before they have a chance to implement Motion Blur and start this abysmal plague.  Thankfully, most games allow you to turn it off, but who thought this was a good idea in the first place?  Are there people out there that enjoy Motion Blur?  Who was the genius that said "You know what games are missing?  An effect that very poorly and unnaturally mimics the effect you get when you turn your head really fast, makes you disoriented, and chews up resources, all at the same time."

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks