Movies you've seen recently

Tale

but Chris Pratt! has to count for something, right?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Stop harshing my buzz and let me fanboy in peace! I know the hybrid dinosaur idea is silly and riding with domesticated raptors is a ridiculous concept but but but Jurassic Park!

Actually I don't mind either idea, to be honest.  And if nothing else, its better than the humanoid raptors with guns idea they had originally planned the next JP sequel to have before ditching that whole production attempt.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

ah, for god's sake, not the Inception horns again

I don't hear Inception horns. I guess the timing of the bass beats is Inception-like, but using deep notes as punctuation is nothing new. (edit: to me is sounds like distorted blue whale, lol)

The trailer doesn't make me excited, either. The graphics will be better, but I'm not sure I like the notion of an actual full park (lots of extras). Looks a bit "colder" and less humanized, if that makes sense. The idea of it being Sea-World like is kind of amusing, however. Although, that dino that leaps out to eat the shark is a prime example of why I still don't like CGI monsters very much. Could be any of 1000 that have come before. Visually dull at this point.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So I went and saw Interstellar.

I must say that I had pretty high expectations. In hindsight, I don't know exactly why.

In any case, I think the film was hurt greatly by too much in-your-face sentimentality. Subtlety was obviously not on the menu for the guys who made this movie. Especially the ending was very jarring. It really disturbs me how the movie at times tries to be very scientific and at times throws all science out of the window. "Love transcends time and space". Really, as a biologist you haven't thought of love as a process localized in the brain? The main characters, who are supposed to be scientists, often do not act and think like scientists at all.

And so the best "space" movies continue to be Solaris, Alien and 2001 with Prometheus being the only modern contender to that top 3. What a shame.

It's funny how Dr. Mann, who is portrayed as the "pragmatist" type really is an egoist who falsifies data. And then in one scene he calls on the main character not to "judge" him. He does not feel like a consistent character, at worst just a poorly thought-out strawman for a pragmatist worldview.

• Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

there are actually two Prometheuses (eseses), the theater version and the restored version with deleted scenes. the second one, reportedly, fixes a lot of inconsistencies  

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

there are actually two Prometheuses (eseses), the theater version and the restored version with deleted scenes. the second one, reportedly, fixes a lot of inconsistencies  

did restore version explain how bunch of guys who dont know each other end up on spaceship that they dont know where its heading or what is purpose of this mission?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Does it also fix the scientist take off his helmet in an unknown atmosphere, the biologist playing peekaboo with an alien cobra giving obvious threat displays despite havig been terrified of the mere thought of alien life seconds before, and the geologist who mapped the cave complex being the only person who gets lost in said complex when everyone else comes out without his help? I've warmed up towards Prometheus on a repeat viewing but I'm still constantly irritated by how over the top idiotic every single character is. Well, that and the random, unnecesary zombie attack sequence in the middle of the movie that is never mentioned again.

Yeah, it was a huge disappointment. Some time ago I've read a writeup from someone with a slightly alternate story version and it sounded really good. Makes the real movie even more sad...

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Does it also fix the scientist take off his helmet in an unknown atmosphere, the biologist playing peekaboo with an alien cobra giving obvious threat displays despite havig been terrified of the mere thought of alien life seconds before, and the geologist who mapped the cave complex being the only person who gets lost in said complex when everyone else comes out without his help?

yep, pretty much. or you can watch this review instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSaKxB-8YlE

Walsingham said:

well, it doesn't explain everything, still many plot holes in the movie, but a lot of characters have their motivations explained more clearly. the deleted scenes didn't do it for me, personally, still don't like Prometheus

Walsingham said: