Movies you've seen recently

Tale

Incendies 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1255953/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Jesus christ :(

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well, it's a good movie in that aspect that it makes you feel emotionally drained. Sadly, I cannot tell you more without getting into spoilers.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Completely unexpected, but the best new film commentary is on Captain America: The Winter Soldier. For once, a track without banter or glad-handing, just co-directors and co-screenwriters concisely relevant and insightful. All four are pros with good speaking voices and amazing film knowledge. They took inspiration from seventies conspiracy thrillers, Three Days of the Condor, Marathon Man, with elements, homages, and outright steals from The French Connection, Heat, Star Wars, The Dirty Dozen, Rocky, director Brian DePalma ... and the biggest reveal in plain sight, the title, Winter Soldier, is not only the comic book character, but it refers to Cap himself, the opposite of Thomas Paine's "summer soldier" line, first written in 1776 following his most famous, "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country." A 240-year old reference from the American Revolution right on the billboard, not bad.    

All Stop. On Screen.

American Sniper, directed by Clint Eastwood, starring Bradley Cooper, a film about the very successful sharpshooter Chris Kyle who was killed in tragic circumstances in 2013. 

I wonder how authentic it will be.

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Enter the void.

Was really good, but weird as ****.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

That's a powerful trailer.

Lets wait and see, the last couple films of Clint Eastwood where good -quality wise- but they were unsatisfying pointless dramas, I hope this film will be different. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

American Sniper, directed by Clint Eastwood, starring Bradley Cooper, a film about the very successful sharpshooter Chris Kyle who was killed in tragic circumstances in 2013. 

-snip-

They should have just let those guys in the Apache take care of them, they wouldn't have even broken a sweat.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Considering the movie is based on the autobiography of a guy who has been proven to have lied in said book, I wouldn't expect too much authenticity.

• Like 1

Considering the movie is based on the autobiography of a guy who has been proven to have lied in said book, I wouldn't expect too much authenticity.

Are you talking about the Jesse Ventura thing? That all got hellish messy.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Well.. there's that, and more.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/07/30/the-complicated-but-unveriable-legacy-of-chris-kyle-the-deadliest-sniper-in-american-history/

The above story mentions just some of the BS Kyle is known to have said and done. If we actually believe Kyle, we have to believe he's a murdering POS (among other not so good things) and I'm not talking about his sniper kills overseas. I think it's safe to say that Kyle is not someone worthy of trust in his stories.

American Sniper is going to be far more a work of fiction than an authentic biopic.

Edited by Valsuelm

All your link proves is that he was prone to a lot of tall tales after coming back from the war. It doesn't suggest what happened during the war with him is inaccurate - only that he could make up wild stories during his civilian life to keep up his image that the media hyped. If the movie focuses on the military part  (like in the preview) it'll be fine. IOf course, we know the movie is going to over dramatize stuff ebcause that's what movies do.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well.. there's that, and more.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/07/30/the-complicated-but-unveriable-legacy-of-chris-kyle-the-deadliest-sniper-in-american-history/

The above story mentions just some of the BS Kyle is known to have said and done. If we actually believe Kyle, we have to believe he's a murdering POS (among other not so good things) and I'm not talking about his sniper kills overseas. I think it's safe to say that Kyle is not someone worthy of trust in his stories.

American Sniper is going to be far more a work of fiction than an authentic biopic.

Interesting link. Part of me feels sorry for men like this, part of me wonders why he'd feel the need to boast.

Most very brave men choose to be modest about it.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Could be PTSD. Could be the hype/attention. Could be a combination of both.

I like how Valsuelm is on first name terms with the guy.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Interesting link. Part of me feels sorry for men like this, part of me wonders why he'd feel the need to boast.

Most very brave men choose to be modest about it.

Aye. I know many many vets, and some who have seen and done some serious sh*t. The majority of them, of all ages, do not generally want to talk about it, let alone boast about it.

That said, I've personally known two 'special forces' snipers. One was a first generation Seal, who never opened his mouth unless he had way too much to drink. Sadly he was an alcoholic (from talking to him I think to try and forget about this **** he'd seen and done), so on a couple of rare occasions he told a story or two. They were ugly, and he was anything but proud of them. Each time he told a story of what he did it ended the same: In his pained words 'I killed people', and then a long swig on the bottle, repeat words repeat swig, repeat, repeat.... he'd walk out the door not wanting to talk to anyone with those words being the last he said with tears in his eyes. One of the toughest guys I've ever met, and not someone I'll ever forget.

The second sniper I know was Army special forces who served in Iraq and Afganistan this last decade. Fun guy, and he definitely had some kills, but he was beyond full of ****, telling stories akin to Kyle's. Not a guy who was grounded well in reality, nor does it look like Kyle is from all I've seen and read of him. So there might be something to the 'culture' or atmosphere around special forces snipers these days where you end up with people who are talented yet uber full of themselves and in Lalala land. Or perhaps it's just coincidence.

As for why he felt the need to boast? It's a bit complex I think, but the short of it is that in much of the western media folks like him are glorified and turned into heroes (hey, there's a movie coming out!). So he's very proud of being what he is as it's glorified. Must be a good thing right? Nearly everyone is telling him it is. But the reality is he's done some really really ugly sh*t. Stuff that most vets (and all of the grounded ones I've known) are not or would not be proud of. So on one hand you're proud of what you are (a successful sniper) and on the other you are not. The latter is internal and totally doesn't jive with the former. So you end up with some serious cognitive dissonance, the kind that leads to less and less a handle on reality and the kind that tears a lot of people apart. This is part of the story of many a vet to a degree.

War is fugly.

Edited by Valsuelm
  • Like 1

Sounds like a weird atmosphere. You can't treat these men like quarterbacks. Just common sense.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Snowpiercer, a sci-fi movie about a mini society surviving on a moving train on a frozen Earth. It's fairly run of the mill sci-fi, with some good effects - some interesting plots etc etc.

I'd give 6/10 overall score. It's above average, but not exceptionally so. A good movie to watch if you want a sci-fi action fix and want to think a little, but not too much. Comparable to Pandorum (without the horror of course).

Trailer:

(yeah, it's a classic marxist "the evils of classism", but forgive that and enjoy it for what it is)

Fortune favors the bald.

Gone Girl.

2 Hours 29 Minutes. 149 Minutes. 8,940 Seconds. 

Do I seem acutely aware of the time? That's because that's TOO DAMN LONG for me. Thank god the AMC theater near me has a full liquor bar and motorized reclining seats. Besides that, the movie was "ok" and the end is moronic.

^I do not know the story, but all i know heard that the ending is "Hollywood ending" compared to the book. Would you still recommend it?

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy