Movies you've seen recently

Tale

Kite.

Live-action based on the anime , your standard low budget dystopian run-down bleak future city full of corrupt cops and child trafficking gangs. A teenage girl wreaking vengeance for the death of her police parents on the mysterious crime figure known as the Emir.  Samuel L Jackson taking a turn as her father's former partner who has been helping her.

Eh, not too bad, not too great. You kind of expect one of the twists, there aren't that many action sequences so much as sudden moments she kills people by surprise.

Oh geez, that was actually a thing? I thought the proposed adaptation would go the way of many live-action adaptations of classic anime of development hell as has been the case with NGE, Battle Angel Alita, and Bubblegum Crisis.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Watched Stephen Chow's JOURNEY TO THE WEST (2013) which is a sort of a "origin story" to the classic novel.  Its similar to Chow's Kung Fu Hustle which is alternatively hilarious and serious.  How it plays out is pretty clear to anyone familiar with the story, and the end isn't as satisfying as it could be as it trades on knowledge of the novel story to maintain a satisfactory conclusion.

For something called "Journey to the West," the trailer dedicates astoundingly little camera time to the Monkey King.

The story is - more or less - a prequel.  How it all comes together.  Monkey King shows up in the last 4th of the film.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

If I Stay - More evidence that Moretz can act. How can anyone watch this, watch her as Hit Girl, and watch her as the vampire and still pretend the young lady can't act is ridiculous. All three of those roles are very different yet she handles them extremely well and all three characters are distinct.

Let's Be Cops - Hilarious.

P.S. Diamond is a piece of crap.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Watched Avengers Confidential: Punisher & Black Widow last night. Now I really want Mad House to do a Punisher animated series.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Currently twenty minutes into The Untold Story of Saved by the Bell.

Sure, it's based on Dustin Diamond's hearsay bio, but it's really well done.

That would be the biography that he states now he didn't write.

Oh I also watched

THE ANGRY RED PLANET (1959) - Gerald Mohr, Naura Hayden and Les Tremayne go to Mars and encounter a man eating plant, a giant bar-rat-spider and a monsterour ameoba before being told to get off the planet by the superior martian natives.  A bit slow in getting to Mars (but many space exploration films of the era suffer that) but the Mars stuff actually works well and the low budget is hidden by the clever "CineMagic" gimick.

THE MAN FROM PLANET X (1951) - Aliens arive at an island off Scotland.  While most reviews I've read of this paint the alien as a being of peace, the movie actually doesn't play that idea out.  His motives aren't left entirely clear - and he's not against using violence and/or brain control to get what he wants.  The heroes do kill him and send his planet on to probable oblivion so the Earth doesn't come out much better looking.   Low budget is obvious in re-use of sets, but the cast is game enough.  The alien mask is immobile, but the movie manages to not make that important.  Lead actress Margaret Field was Sally Field's mother, first thing I think I've ever seen her in.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I guess when the internet exploded over how cool the test footage was they noticed.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I guess when the internet exploded over how cool the test footage was they noticed.

Yep, they even mention that as the genesis:

Two months ago, though, leaked test footage from “Deadpool” that was several years old hit the Internet and went viral, reinvigorating interest in a “Deadpool” film.

Er, Bad Neighbours.

Utter crap. When you type the words, "the best thing in it is Zac Efron" you know something has gone horribly, horribly wrong.

Please don't waste two hours of your life on this. I've already done that for you. It's so far into the realms of fantasy, it asks you to consider for a moment that a woman as attractive as Rose Byrne would choose to procreate with Rogen's character. Byrne has been suckered into appearing in more and more crap rom-coms recently. The Apatow / Rogen / Generation 'Y' axis of evil seems to think that you can make a rom-com, add a few 'c' word swear-bombs and nobody will notice it's still a crap rom-com (q.v. I give it a year).

Perhaps its because this film made me feel so archiac. Rogen's character feels old because Efron's 'first Batman' is Christian Bale while his is Mike Keaton. Dammit, mine was Adam-bloody-West.

Avoid.

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

Curse of the Dragon Slayer (aka Curse of the Shadow and SAGA: The Shadow Cabal) (2013) - low budget fantasy film. Fun for what it is, dialogue is rough at times and some of the set up is confusing. But not bad considering that its low budget and all. And it certainly has its fun moments.

I actually went through the Underworld series over the weekend. It had been years since I saw the first film.

Definitely see the contrast in the last one, they push the stylish action sequences over the dialogue heavy stylish sequences of the first three.

Rumour has it they're now getting ready to work on a new one in 2015.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Yeah but no Kate Beckinsale, so it's probably gonna suck. Half the fun of the first movies was seeing her in a leather suit...scratch that, 3/4 of the fun was in that.

Anyways seen the Exam today, was a pretty good movie.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Curse of the Dragon Slayer (aka Curse of the Shadow and SAGA: The Shadow Cabal) (2013) - low budget fantasy film. Fun for what it is, dialogue is rough at times and some of the set up is confusing. But not bad considering that its low budget and all. And it certainly has its fun moments.

I actually quite liked it. Guy who played Keltus was AWFUL though.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I actually quite liked it. Guy who played Keltus was AWFUL though.

I dunno if he was awful, but he did seem to be the weakest of the three leads. His story also was the most under-represented (didn't understand who the Prophetess was or the switch up or any of that).

Beckinsale looks good but when I think 'hot' actresses she's not even in my top 100...

Anyways...

The Maze Runner - Good, entertaining movie. I was never bored.  The acting could have been a little stringer,  and the story could have been more developed, the main actress wa sunder used. I think it could have used 10-20 more minutes. 8/10

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Before the devil knows you're dead.

I'm not a fan of cut backs and this movie had TONS of them, you literally had to assemble the film piece by piece until it made sense... But the acting was really good and I loved how it totally escalated in the end. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet.