Movies you've seen recently

Tale

Last thread

I saw Godzilla. A well made movie, but pretty dumb. The monsters bother me because they eat only radiation. Their digestion system must be a fusion reactor.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The Man from Earth.

Wow....I....wow.

• Like 5

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The Man from Earth.

Wow....I....wow.

It took me awhile, but I found it streaming on Hulu.  I'm watching it now.

Best movie I've seen where nothing happens and people just sit and talk.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Watched the Adventures of Tintin again today. Its a shame that Indy 4 turned out the way it did because Tintin showed Spielberg still had a good Indy movie in him.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Godzilla. I liked it. Thought it was well done and all that.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm sorry, it should be called, By The Way Godzilla Is Technically In This Movie.

Even in 3D and with Bryan Cranston, there was little to no character interest coming through the screen--made double anti-exciting by sparse monster fights.  

All Stop. On Screen.

Saw Amazing Spider-Man 2. Green Goblin was awful, and not just in a "he's not like in the comics" way, his character arc was terrible, and it made no sense for his armor to be all asymmetrical and jagged. Rhino's baby legs made me angry. Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone's performances were definitely the highlight of the film.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The Man from Earth.

Wow....I....wow.

It took me awhile, but I found it streaming on Hulu.  I'm watching it now.

Best movie I've seen where nothing happens and people just sit and talk.

Yep, although I get the feeling it would work better as a theater piece.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The Road Warrior. I got around and bought it on Blu-ray. Now I wish the new Mad Max movie would come out sooner.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Been watching Fargo, the show, partly because of being a giant Coen Brother fan and also because I consider Fargo to be one of the greatest black comedies to have ever graced the screen. Despite the fact that the Coen Brothers has about as much involvement in the production of the show as Tom Clancy had with the respective video games with his label on it -- It's still very good. It manages to capture the style, direction and setting of the show, but at times the characters come off as a bit absurd and whacky, whereas the characters in the original film were more grounded in reality, and down to the earth. Billy Bob pretty much steals the show, Martin Freeman is well... he's Martin Freeman as always, but he has his moments. They made the smart choice of only having this show go on for 12 episodes because anything more would dry out all the juice of how long a plot like Fargo can go. The latest episode some of the core things that makes Fargo and its character different from shows like Breaking Bad. In reality, these characters are people, and the only reason Lester has gotten away with murder for so long is because of dumb circumstance. He's not particularly a good guy or even a bad guy, he's just a man who's had enough with being pushed around -- and he gets in trouble for it.

Another thing interesting thing about Fargo is its willingness to directly engage ideas that other series would leave as subtext. The latter approach can work very well, but it’s refreshing to see someone like the character Gus (played Tom Hanks' son) stuck on a problem that’s at once abstract and immediately practical, and have that discussion framed explicitly on both levels. It brings up interesting philosophical parables of idealism, what's good and wrong -- If you know a guy did something bad and you had the power to punish him, but it's dangerous, should you do it? When a question like that is brought up by a particularly peculiar visiting neighbour, Gus answers "Well, you gotta try, dontcha?". 

I'm looking forward to see how this show will end and go from here with the remaining 7 episodes its got left.

I'm sorry, it should be called, By The Way Godzilla Is Technically In This Movie.

Even in 3D and with Bryan Cranston, there was little to no character interest coming through the screen--made double anti-exciting by sparse monster fights.

I disagree; I think they made a good balance of the human story and the giant monster story and kept the main monster mash-up for the finale. Which isn't that dissimilar in structure to a lot of the earlier films, but I felt the human story was compelling (even if it had its problems).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Oh, okay, good, that means I either wasn't paying attention, or I emphasized my own expectations too much. Well, I was sober through the whole film ... that might explain the doldrums.

Well your opinion is valid; I just didn't agree. Different strokes and all that.

TrueNeutral: Nah, if that were going to happen, the film would have been scripted by Akiva Goldsman :)

Trailer to Disney's Big Hero 6, loosely based on an obscure Marvel comic. It takes place in the portmanteau culture of the city of San Fransokyo and is about a kid who builds a robot and then gets asked to join a group of superheroes. Disney Animation Studios has been knocking them out of the ballpark recently, with Tangled, Wreck-it Ralph, Frozen and their oscar win for the short Paperman (which is magnificent) and this looks quite fun. I'm not familiar with the comic, but I doubt it's faithful because this seems nothing like a Marvel property, but I'm interested with how it will turn out.