The Crowd-funding model is you pay to contribute content. You don't pay you don't get to contribute (unless you get hired).

Hm, I don't believe it.

A) Those who paid to contribute content didn't only pay to contribute content. Didn't they get to bounce ideas directly with Obsidian? Oh and paying for "You get to design a backer item!" is also a sure-shot 100% hit. Not to mention you'll get some renown for it as well I'd imagine.

B) What we have been doing here, discussing ideas, thoughts, what's good and bad, analyzing and picking stuff apart... it's been indirect contribution. Who knows... some of JFSOCC's design ideas might've made it into the game but with a different name, different look, but the core inspiration comes from it... I wouldn't say that it is 100% certain that this is the case (don't expect anything), but there might be a chance.

- Paying for Backer Content = Direct Influence/Contribution+Obsidian gives feedback to Backer/Designer. 100% chance of getting in. 

- Posting on Forums, no BC = Indirect Influence/Contribution+We give feedback to Obsidian/Designer. Depending on the idea, has a higher chance of getting in or "inspired by", but for the sake of the example... let's say "Roll 1d100".

Well, that's what I believe at least.

EDIT: Furthermore, weapons statistics & title is one of the easiest things to mod in most games. I could create like 100 "backer" weapons after the game has released.. but will it get anywhere near as much respect or renown as a backer who paid to be in the official product? Nope. Everyone who plays Pillars of Eternity without mods will be able to find the Backer Content. This is also something that you're paying for.

Not to be an asshat, but people put waaaaaaaaaaay too much stock in how influencial forums are.

They teach you not to post on forums for a reason.

Not to be an asshat, but people put waaaaaaaaaaay too much stock in how influencial forums are.

They teach you not to post on forums for a reason.

1. No worries, you're not an asshat :) I wasn't saying forums in general are influencial. I'm saying we have been (past-tense) influencial on many topics here. We've inspired I'm sure & discussed with the devs, we've suggested ideas, speculated, praised and shouted with both positive and negative attitude. Given feedback and so on and so forth. There's mechanics that have been laid out on the table and then revised based on our discussion here and there's some suggested mechanics and design choices that Obsidian seems to have taken some inspiration from as well.

2. They...? "They", who are "they"? I was never taught this! Blasphemy, forum discussion with a common goal in mind is awesome :)

2. They...? "They", who are "they"? I was never taught this! Blasphemy, forum discussion with a common goal in mind is awesome :)

At Microsoft, they have seminars revolving around how to avoid the internet.

• Like 1

At Microsoft, they have seminars revolving around how to avoid the internet.

They also have seminars on how to avoid putting out software that works so maybe not the best example? :p

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see my Dandy Hat of the Diseased Yak is gonna be fairly unique!  I figured they're would be a flood of armor and it would get lost in the shuffle.

It's going to be a truly, uh, epic, drop if they go with what I requested, hah!  I'd post all the text but it'll probably be changed anyway, and I want to be surprised along with everyone else.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Borresaine is in my opinion best of those names, as it sounds like name that is given legendary artifacts like Gáe Bolga, Excalibur, Caledfwlch, Gandiva, Babr-e Bayan, Talaria, Andvarinaut etc. artifacts from mythology. Although most of these artifacts have quite cheesy names if translated to English, like for example Gáe Bolga = spear of mortal pain/death spear.

Glad you like it, that's the bow I designed! :D Can't wait to see it in-game!

• 7 months later...

Just have to say - I'm extremly satisfied with what Obsidian has delivered! Before pledging to the kickstarter I was unsure wether or not I should back such a high tier, because there was so many previous projects I had put money in that didn't deliver, or just didn't live up to the expectation. But I'm so glad I did pick this tier, and reading about my bow just made me so happy - seeing how you made such a beautiful story out of it. Having my own item in a game has been a dream since I was a kid, and to have it in a game that (at the moment) has 92 metacritic is just insane. Thank you! My face right now:  :biggrin: