Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #77: Art in Alpha

Art Environment Art Character Art Armor Anslogs Compass Hall of Warriors Cliaban Rilag

• Please log in to reply
338 replies to this topic

Sarex

Sarex

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1797 posts

Is that the general art direction of the armors, or are there going to be armors with a high fantasy look?

Sandro G Meier

Sandro G Meier

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 50 posts

These armor looks nice, I hope in game it will look more shinning.  And the compass looks amazing!

Gyges

Gyges

Pit Dweller of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

That's probably some of the best 2D environment art I've ever seen. Armor looks great too but will there be unique looks to unique pieces?

Also, although I'm not certain this is the topic for it, will unique gear be quickly replaced by more common gear a few "levels" above? Its just a bit of an annoying mechanic that seem to have crept in from arpgs.

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4044 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I hope in game it will look more shinning.

And here I am, hoping for them to get a bit more shoddy and less shiny.

• karelia, Boox and SusurrusParadox like this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4253 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

pe-anslogs-compass-580.jpg

Anslog's Compass.

This piece looks especially great.

The shadows are in the opposite orientation from what we've seen before in outdoor shots. I wonder if that means they will be dynamic during the day?

BAdler

BAdler

Producer

• Developers+
  • -9994 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer

Looking good. By the way, did the areas shown in the update already get a paint-over pass or is it going to be done later in development? Also, the beach looks great. IIRC Josh said the team was still looking into ways to make the characters stick out less from the environment, any development on that front? To be honest, I was pretty okay with how they looked in the teaser, but it'd be cool to know if there's been further progress (or not).

These areas have not had a paintover yet. We want to lockdown all of the geometry before we do any of that. We should be starting the paintover process in a few weeks if everything goes well.

As for characters blending into the environment, Adam has been hard at work coming up with a solution. Maybe we can convince him to do an update about it.

• sesobebo, WorstUsernameEver, lolaldanee and 9 others like this

BAdler

BAdler

Producer

• Developers+
  • -9994 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Programming is nearing feature complete. We are tracking to be feature complete in a couple of weeks. This means that we are feature locked and most of the programming team will be diverted into bug fixing, feature polish, demos, etc.

Did dynamic cloth and hair end up making it in?

We do have dynamic cloth, but we are probably not going to do dynamic hair.

• sesobebo, Tamerlane, AndreaColombo and 5 others like this

BAdler

BAdler

Producer

• Developers+
  • -9994 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Starwars: I reckon that the rock is limestone, and that kind of odd formations is well within the scope of limestone by the sea.

Messier-31: You can say that again! :yes:  The same goes for that entire camp, with the fire place and the lot. If the frothing sea is anything to go by, it wouldn't even be there anymore in 24 hours. Most cultures, throughout history, have built even simpler huts and sporadic camps farther up from the shoreline. Possible exceptions are participants in Survivor and a few Western tourist villages in the last fifty years.

It's a xaurip hut... they aren't the smartest creatures. :grin:

• IndiraLightfoot, Lephys, Silent Winter and 1 other like this

Ineth

Ineth

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 637 posts

Golf claps. 
But don't need narrative done before programming?

No way, man! Maybe for amateur-gramming. These are pros. u_u

8)

Okay, seriously though, I think the programming there is feature programming. Finishing the narrative might involve further dialogue implementation and content tweaks/additions, but it doesn't seem like it's really feature additions.

I guess one is "programming", the other "scripting"... 8)

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9963 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer

As for characters blending into the environment, Adam has been hard at work coming up with a solution. Maybe we can convince him to do an update about it.

Yes please.

BAdler

BAdler

Producer

• Developers+
  • -9994 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

In fact, what the hell do we really know about the plot, for example?

i'm glad there's been nothing revealed about the plot. i hope it stays that way.

We are deliberately trying to avoid talking about the plot very much. We love talking about the world, but we don't want to spoil any surprises.

• sesobebo, Carlo, tajerio and 8 others like this

forgottenlor

forgottenlor

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I love the areas. They scream "Explore me now!" :D

The armors... they do look fine but... kind of very down to earth for such a high fantasy game.

edit:

*ponders* no fancy badges for paypal backers? :p

Hmm. I payed with Paypal and got one.

• Enigmatick likes this

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3030 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

In fact, what the hell do we really know about the plot, for example?

i'm glad there's been nothing revealed about the plot. i hope it stays that way.

We are deliberately trying to avoid talking about the plot very much. We love talking about the world, but we don't want to spoil any surprises.

A very wise choice in my own humble opinion, one of the strengths of Obsidian is the unexpected places that the plot may wander into and the great confrontations that arise, Marburg, Atris, Myrkul etcetera.

Personally i'm very glad that they've chosen armours that actually do their job rather than the unusable and pointlessly encumbering spiky versions we see in all too many games, or even worse the ceremonial pieces used for combat that some designers favour.

• Tuckey, IndiraLightfoot and SusurrusParadox like this

BAdler

BAdler

Producer

• Developers+
  • -9994 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Golf claps. 
But don't need narrative done before programming?

No way, man! Maybe for amateur-gramming. These are pros. u_u

8)

Okay, seriously though, I think the programming there is feature programming. Finishing the narrative might involve further dialogue implementation and content tweaks/additions, but it doesn't seem like it's really feature additions.

I guess one is "programming", the other "scripting"... 8)

Avoiding the side discussion... every project is different. There isn't one specific way that a project has to be done to be successful. As it relates to Eternity (and other Obsidian games) we will continue writing until we are localization locked. Even when we are loc locked, we will still do a bit of writing in areas if we feel it is absolutely necessary.

Normally we would be farther along in our writing, but, as with everything else, sometimes there are things out of your control. Our narrative designers came onto the project later than expected, but they are making really great progress. It isn't an ideal situation, but it has worked out for us.

• AndreaColombo, ultimis and Lephys like this

Beholder

Beholder

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 27 posts

This is greaaaatttt work !! I really like the 'realistic' feeling of the game, i am glad to see armors actually do look like armors. I'm eager to see it 'alive'

.As an hardcore fan of infinity engine games, this is the game i look forward the most.Keep up the good work and thank you for the explanations on progression and schedule ! I apologize for my barbaric english.

• SusurrusParadox likes this

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6855 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

it is nice to know that fantasy scale not only offers protection, but it lifts and supports for the fashion conscious female warrior who knows how to really use her weapons.

*insert eye-roll here*

well, maybe the next game does away with such.

HA! Good Fun!

Ineth

Ineth

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 637 posts

This is greaaaatttt work !! I really like the 'realistic' feeling of the game, i am glad to see armors actually do look like armors. I'm eager to see it 'alive'

.As an hardcore fan of infinity engine games, this is the game i look forward the most.Keep up the good work and thank you for the explanations on progression and schedule ! I apologize for my barbaric english.

Welcome to the forums, fellow eye tyrant!

And I agree, this game seems to be shaping up nicely...

• SusurrusParadox likes this

Mor

Mor

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 449 posts

Xaurips are probably the little kobold-lizard things they covered in the animation update (because they had a staff in the animation).

Very possible, any chance that Clîaban Rilag is Glanfathan for Old song i.e. the ruin near twin elms?

Update by Rose Gomez, Associate Producer

Sometimes, a visiting anamfath will take residence in the hall when visiting the city.

This caught my attention, in a "in-between the lines" type of way...

Specifically the "Sometimes" in that sentence. Does this mean that there will be people in the world that appear at various locations at various times? I.E. an anamfath might be in the Hall of Heroes when I get there the first time, but for another Player there is no anamfath the first time they get there.

Or am I just reading into it?

I suppose it depends on whether their presence offer any kind of interaction options i.e. passing tribal prince will be sharing stories about the world in the hall of warriors, being related to current events or quest(give quest?) or just random piece sets..

Endrosz

Endrosz

Silent Prospector of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Steam:endrosz

Is that the general art direction of the armors, or are there going to be armors with a high fantasy look?

What is high fantasy when it comes to armors? Two style that comes to mind...

1. Renowned Tolkien illustrators, the first one was an advisor to Peter Jackson on the movies:

a. John Howe

mm-t44.jpg

calendar-2001_legolas-gimli.jpg

Legolas's helmet is ridiculous, but his armor is minimal joint-covering, which is fitting for an archer. Gimli looks like a historical Axeman.

b. Ted Nasmith

TN-Thus_Came_Aragorn1.jpg

TN-Storming_the_Bank.jpg

2. The classic '80s ADnD look:

a. Larry Elmore

Crystal-Shard-.jpg

Thefallen.72dpi.jpg

SNOW_BRO.jpg

Elmore's paintings do have some ornate armors and overflowing capes, but by large, his artwork is pretty grounded, too.

b. Clyde Caldwell

blade_of_the_young_samurai.jpg

This is samurai armor, nothing more, nothing less.

azure_bonds.jpg

Caldwell does boobplate (in many other paintings, too), but that's his only departure.

oath_measure.jpg

---

Neither of the above is far in style from what Eternity offers. So, I guess we can call it high fantasy if we want to? ;)

• Lysen, Jajo, Ineth and 1 other like this

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4044 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Elmore and Caldwell. Mmm...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Art, Environment Art, Character Art, Armor, Anslogs Compass, Hall of Warriors, Cliaban Rilag

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users