NFL 2014 Offseason

Nepenthe

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

giphy.gif

Cowboys take Zack Martin.  It's not defense, but it's a great guard, and, more importantly, it's not Johnny Football.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

LOL.  I don't necessarily think Manziel is going to be a bust, but he would have been an awful pick for the Cowboys.  Last thing the Boys would have needed is the distraction of Manziel on the bench with Romo starting, that would have been a disaster waiting to happen.  While I would have preferred someone on the defensive side of the ball (Aaron Donald would have been perfect, but alas he was gone), I won't complain about beefing up the O line.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

And Johnny Football goes to the Browns.  Cleveland - Where quarterbacks' careers go to die.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Teddy Bridgewater, at one time considered most people's projected #1 pick, winds up going to the Vikings (they got the pick from Seattle in a trade) as the very last pick in the 1st round.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Teddy Bridgewater, at one time considered most people's projected #1 pick, winds up going to the Vikings (they got the pick from Seattle in a trade) as the very last pick in the 1st round.

Well, he almost did become a 1st pick... Of the second round.

My reaction on waking up was Brandin Who? Won the Biletnikoff award, so somebody thought he was pretty good at his chosen position... And a kr/pr/wr was what I did see as their primary need...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

NFL .com is a place where the comments section is worse than youtube. I couldn't have been more embarrassed to be a Chargers fan, but whatever. They appear to have drafted a feisty scrapper with bum knees and a can't-ride-this-ride height. But, it's fine, no problem. 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Heh. Just thinking about it last night, I was kinda annoyed with Gruden on espn. He was campaigning for Manziel for every team, except the Cowboys... which was a a surprise. I mean, with every team... "Look, I know they have 10 quarterbacks there already, but man this kid, this Johnny Football is something special!".

Eh, producers probably told him to do that ****. Espn hype.

• Like 1

Heh. Just thinking about it last night, I was kinda annoyed with Gruden on espn. He was campaigning for Manziel for every team, except the Cowboys... which was a a surprise. I mean, with every team... "Look, I know they have 10 quarterbacks there already, but man this kid, this Johnny Football is something special!".

Eh, producers probably told him to do that ****. Espn hype.

Yeah, Gruden was unbearable, even more than usual, last night.  He was even more unbearable than Ray Lewis.  Ray I can give somewhat of a pass to, since it wasn't him trying to cram Johnny Football down our throats every second, he's just not a good speaker and doesn't belong as a commentator.  Maybe he'll get better with practice?  Gruden, on the other hand, is comfortable enough on camera and with a microphone, annoying, but comfortable.  Him going on and on and on and on about Manziel was making me physically ill, though.  

Mel - "This team doesn't really have a need at quarterback but has pressing issues on the offensive line and in the defensive backfield."

Gruden - "Yeah, but what if their quarterback slips in the shower, won't they regret not taking Johnny Manziel then?"

Later on...

Boomer - "This team is already paying their starting quarterback big bucks, and most people agree that quarterback isn't their problem."

Gruden - "But what if an asteroid crashes down and kills their quarterback?  That could happen, then they'll be wishing they had taken Johnny Manziel.

Later on...

Gruden - "Listen, I get there are other critical needs, but when there's a quarterback like Johnny Manziel on the board, you gotta take him, nothing else matters."

It was horrible.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter now

Filed to ESPN: 49ers trading a conditional 2015 4th-round pick to Buffalo for WR Stevie Johnson, per sources. Pick can become a 3rd.

How the hell are the 49ers doing this? First Boldin and now Johnson. This is an good WR and they get him in exchange for a 4th rounder, maybe a 3rd. Kaep will have Vernon, Boldin, Crabtree, and Johnson. You can't lose with this receiving core. You just can't.

Edited by Inyourprime

It's great that they are picking up a proven contributor, but I'm not going to call the 49er receiver corp golden yet.  Both Crabtree and Johnson are coming off injuries, and Boldin is getting older.  I hope they still find a decent prospect, hopefully someone that can be a deep threat.

The Boys picked up Demarcus Lawrence with the 34th pick.  I'm very happy with this pick.  He's an extremely athletic and versatile outside linebacker.  He could stand to bulk up a little bit, but a proper nutrition and conditioning program could solve that, he has the frame to gain another 15 lbs of pure muscle.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

The consensus on the Giants picks thus far appears to be that they all look like useful players at positions of need for the team, but that they likely could have been gotten later on.  The first-rounder probably wasn't much of a reach, but all the talking heads had the Center they took in round 2 as a 3rd-round prospect and the DT they got in round 3 as a 3rd-day guy. 

NYG management has never been especially astute at draft-day horse trading.  The vast majority of the time, they sit at their spot and make their selections.  Ultimately, if they get good players, I don't really care where they were drafted (I remember intently how upset everybody was when they blew a 2nd rounder on some DE nobody had heard of named "Osi Umenyiora"), but I can't help but imagine that a more adventurous front office team could have brought in the same guys plus an extra pick or two to show for it. 

Edited by Enoch

You know, I don't think I'd have drafted Sam if I were the Rams. If he stinks as a pro they don't dare cut him. All anyone would focus on was them cutting the gay player. No one will want to hear that he just wasn't good enough.

They better hope he's got the goods. The it will be a win-win.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Yeah.  I would like to think that Michael Sam would be evaluated strictly on the merits of his abilities as a football player and he could be given a place on the team or cut accordingly without any media hoopla accompanying it in either case.  Unfortunately, that's just not the reality, the media won't let it be.  By taking Michael Sam, the Rams took with him a whole lot of extra baggage, for better or worse.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

The Rams are also probably going to get some jersey sales and some extra media coverage, so it's not a total gamble.  That being said, Fisher is a straight up guy, he's not going to play him unless he deserves it.  Honestly I don't think they will think twice about cutting him, he's a late draft pick.

But given his college career, I'd say he's a safe bet to at least make the practice squad.  He'll probably always be a bench guy given his size.

THe NFL has really locked it down on the intolerance so far.  It's been impressive, it's a very good sign for future athletes. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, you can't very well expect Jimmy Graham to show up for a voluntary quasi-practice when has a pending grievance over the propriety of the franchise tag the team has used on him.  He's actually still a free agent-- for now the Saints have a right of first refusal and the right to draft pick compensation from any team signing him, but this grievance puts those rights in question, too.  Most likely, it's all posturing for leverage before the two sides commit to a long-term deal, but you can't just assume that everything is going to work out.

And, as I'm sure Keyrock is presently lamenting, non-contact or no, injuries do happen at these things.  So attending just a few weeks in advance of signing your big cash-in 1st veteran contract is probably not a smart move.