NFL 2014 Offseason

Nepenthe

Sooooo, the draft's almost upon us and we already had somebody who I forget (sorry!) bring the NFL topic up... so we might as well have a talk about it!

My current takes:

Clowney's been under a determined character-assassination campaign - probably by the Rams and Jags who are hoping he'd fall to 2nd or 3rd.

Manziel just got compared to Drew Brees because they are apparently both short. Clearly it doesn't take a lot to be a professional football commentator.

I'm hoping Odell Beckham Jr. falls to 27, as he would appear to be a really good fit for the Saints after their early offseason decimation (need both a WR and a kick returner).

• Like 4

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Sooooo, the draft's almost upon us and we already had somebody who I forget (sorry!) bring the NFL topic up... so we might as well have a talk about it!

My current takes:

Clowney's been under a determined character-assassination campaign - probably by the Rams and Jags who are hoping he'd fall to 2nd or 3rd.

Manziel just got compared to Drew Brees because they are apparently both short. Clearly it doesn't take a lot to be a professional football commentator.

I'm hoping Odell Beckham Jr. falls to 27, as he would appear to be a really good fit for the Saints after their early offseason decimation (need both a WR and a kick returner).

Manziel has flameout written all over him. I'd compare him to Jeff George from the 90's (not physically but mentally). He does have the talent but not the intelligence or maturity to make it all work. I think this is the kind of guy that by the time he gets the latter he'll have lost the former.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

On a non draft note I love the Bucs choice of Lovie Smith. After two extremes, Rahim Morris the nice guy with no discipline, and Greg Schiano the total a$$hole with no charisma, they final struck just the right balance. Now I hope they get some O-Line upgrades in the draft because it does not matter who the QB is if he spends the whole game on his back. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

On a non draft note I love the Bucs choice of Lovie Smith. After two extremes, Rahim Morris the nice guy with no discipline, and Greg Schiano the total a$$hole with no charisma, they final struck just the right balance. Now I hope they get some O-Line upgrades in the draft because it does not matter who the QB is if he spends the whole game on his back. 

There is/was something non-NFC South Rivalry about both Schiano and Mike Smith that just makes the corner of my eye twitch. Give me Riverboat Ron and Pouty-Payton any day of the week.

• Like 1

David Fales is going to be an NFL starter someday, mark my words.  He's getting little attention, but he has the accuracy and the anticipation, which you simply can't coach.

/marks Hurlshot's words

• Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Manziel has flameout written all over him. I'd compare him to Jeff George from the 90's (not physically but mentally). He does have the talent but not the intelligence or maturity to make it all work. I think this is the kind of guy that by the time he gets the latter he'll have lost the former.

Report: Manziel got 32 on Wonderlic.

• Like 1

David Fales is going to be an NFL starter someday, mark my words.  He's getting little attention, but he has the accuracy and the anticipation, which you simply can't coach.

/marks Hurlshot's words

He's still not getting much pub, but this is a pretty sweet endorsement.

• Like 1

It would be sweet if Beckham falls to 27 but I'm thinking he's off the board by 22 (Philadelphia).  That still leaves Marquise Lee or better still Brandin Cooks at WR.

Saints also announced that they will not pick up Mark Ingram's fifth year option so look for a RB starting round 2 maybe someone like Bishop Stankey from Washington.

• Like 1

Now I hope they get some O-Line upgrades in the draft because it does not matter who the QB is if he spends the whole game on his back. 

That's the number-one issue down in this county, too. Philip Rivers is constitutionally disinclined to scramble, but there's renewed faith around here he won't have to, so much. 

As an aside, my buddy tends bar at a ritzy-shmitzy private golf club where Rivers and head coach Mike McCoy enjoy off-season beverages. So if six degrees of Kevin Bacon is anything to go by, I am only one degree away from the Chargers' main men!  :p

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Report: Manziel got 32 on Wonderlic.

Even I got 29 in a language other than my native, so that can't mean much! ;D

It would be sweet if Beckham falls to 27 but I'm thinking he's off the board by 22 (Philadelphia).  That still leaves Marquise Lee or better still Brandin Cooks at WR.

Saints also announced that they will not pick up Mark Ingram's fifth year option so look for a RB starting round 2 maybe someone like Bishop Stankey from Washington.

I think the WR situation is pretty interesting, there's a lot of guys more or less at the same level that could get distributed in any which way between philly/NO/Carolina. OBJ is my favourite of the bunch though.

My understanding is that the fifth year option is a rather pricy option, so they might prefer to see how the zone blocking scheme they are apparently implementing (either in part or fully) help Ingram's production to either take a stab at him on the free agent market or just move on...

• Like 1

Not being a fan of the ridiculous way that big-money minor-league sports are paired with educational institutions in this country (a.k.a., the NCAA and the conferences and collegiate athletic departments that enable it), most of the draft hype is lost on me.   (Plus, watching TV for most of every Sunday for a third of the year is plenty-- no need to add Saturday, too.)  I suppose I'm rooting for lots of quarterbacks to go in the top-11, so my Giants will have a better selection of WR/OL/TE/DL/DBs to choose from. 

I do hope that somebody takes Manziel high, just because of how entertaining his trolling of college football traditionalists has been over the past couple years. 

Free agency was uncharacteristically interesting for the Giants this year.  Although it's not surprising that they would want to make some moves coming off a 7-9 campaign that could easily have been 4-12 if not for some well-timed injuries to opposing QBs. 

I tend to be a pessimist on major FA acquisitions-- the "winner's curse" inherent in the bidding process usually means that the teams will end up regretting those contracts in a few seasons.  I did really like the Geoff Schwartz acquisition-- he should really help fix the biggest problem on the team ("Everybody on the OL except Justin Pugh") with a very good player for less money than I would have anticipated.  Robert Ayers should provide a serviceable, younger, and cheaper replacement for Justin Tuck.  But I can't get on board with the cash they're forking over for Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.  Way too mercurial a player-- there's a reason he's on his 4th team in 7 years.  I'm glad Jon Beason is back, but that kind of payday for somebody with his injury history makes me nervous.  I have no idea what to think about J.D. Walton, the Center they picked up, because he's spent the last 2 years on the sidelines dealing with a serious injury.  Rashad Jennings should be an upgrade over Andre Brown, but paying the retail price for a 28-year-old RB has seldom proven to be a smart move for NFL teams in the past. 

• Like 1

The Saints' free agency moves have been fairly terrifying... Sure, a lot of the old guard probably needed to go, but trading away their only offensive weapon apart from Jimmy Graham (Sproles) and seemingly overspending on the D...

• Like 1

The Saints' free agency moves have been fairly terrifying... Sure, a lot of the old guard probably needed to go, but trading away their only offensive weapon apart from Jimmy Graham (Sproles) and seemingly overspending on the D...

IIRC, the Saints are in a tricky salary cap situation, with so much of their allocation committed to Brees, to the Graham franchise tag, and to their two starting Guards.  Guard is typically a low-cost position for most teams, so keeping both Evans and Grubbs under high-cost contracts puts more restraints on spending at typically-high-cost positions (WR, DE, CB, etc.) than other teams face.  (That said, NO has a good reason for committing to having the best interior OL in the game.  Brees' otherworldly pocket presence and quick release make him less vulnerable to outside pressure than most QBs, but his height makes clear throwing lanes an important consideration and makes him more vulnerable to pressure that comes in his face.)  

And, yeah, Jairus Byrd is a good player, but that's looking like one of those contracts that the team is going to regret in a couple seasons. 

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 2

Oh, heh, nevermind. The Chargers GM spoke to reporters today, basically saying since they pick 25th, it's pointless to gun for specific drafts. 

He's a cool guy, though, I like that his competence is obvious. They also said, the last time SD went 25th, they got some goof named Dan Fouts in the third round.  :dancing:

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Well, the NFL Draft begins tonight.  I am absolutely PETRIFIED that the Cowboys are going to take Johnny Manziel with their 1st round pick.  The Cowboys need help on the defensive side of the ball, they don't need a QB.  Tony Romo still has at least a 3 or 4 more years in him, and, contrary to what Romo Haterz will have you believe, he was not the problem last year.  What I hope they do is trade up to get Aaron Donald, or he miraculously falls to #16.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Aaron Donald is still on the board...  but so is Johnny Manziel as the Cowboys pick draws nearer.  Oh man, I'm hopeful and also scared.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

The only two teams I see taking Manziel are the Titans and Rams. If not, Jerrah will take him. They both need to be on the phones ready to fleech his ass.

nooooooooooooo.jpg

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Geez god, please don't let this happen. You just signed Romo to a big deal, Jerrah. And your defense is ****. If you have any ounce of passion left to win and not sell tickets, you will not take Johnny Soccer ball.

• Like 1