Party members giving each other items during combat

I've rolled up this epic 3ed D&D party and begun a real delver into IWD2 (which I saw PrimeJunta also did. What are the odds for two of us doing that?) in preparation for and just getting in the right mood for PE. One thing I noticed early on is how party members can give each other items during combat, and also swap item/weapons. The only real regulation is that the recipient can't be standing too far away. Other than that, anything goes. It saved our butts in the first big goblin battle. I had these 3 potions of healing, and I just let them relay around my hurting party members, and problem fixed. Using my imagination, I saw before me how those glass vials were thrown acrobatically in the air, like Circe de Soleil jugglers or Legolas in LotR-movies, performing fantastic feats in the midst of the battle din. I have no real problem with it being possible, I guess, but I do wonder if Josh & Co has put more restrictions on this. Perhaps you'll lose some kind of action points doing it, or maybe you become much more vulnerable swigging a potion. All in all, I'm just curious how this will be handled. The same goes for removing or swapping equipped item during combat.

• Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I don't believe that there will be any healing potions in Poe but I see your point, personally i'd like an attack of opportunity to be performed if you decide to stop fighting your opponent or maybe an automatic critical hit. Or whatever Poe uses in place of these systems.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Yeah, this is a little remarked upon feature of the IE games. Since you won't be able to access your inventory during combat in PoE, I assume you won't be able to do this, unless they add some sort of special interface for swapping items between two characters' "belts" (unlikely)

Edited by Infinitron
  • Like 1

I don't believe that there will be any healing potions in Poe but I see your point,

I read those very informative posts by Josh which state that there will be potions in the game and that they are emphasizing on the effects being quite powerful. I can assume healing pots will also be present consequently (btw, drinking pots will trigger an animation which can be interrupted).

As for replying to topic, I would prefer item swapping is non-existent than it being there and allowing us to exploit it (as in older IE games).

*Edit*: forgot to add address of Josh's posts  :p

here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3593502&userid=17931&perpage=40&pagenumber=5

*2nd Edit*: I'm sorry, the address requires you to subscribe, see the content by accessing this topic:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64979-josh-sawyer-talks-about-stealth-mechanics/?hl=stealth

Edited by constantine

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

Yeah, this is a little remarked upon feature of the IE games. Since you won't be able to access your inventory during combat in PoE, I assume you won't be able to do this, unless they add some sort of special interface for swapping items between two characters' "belts" (unlikely)

I thought you would be able to access your "equipment" (what it's officially called, if I'm not mistaken), which is not only what you're wearing and wielding, but also what you have readied for quick-use (a pretty limited portion of that character's inventory, all-in-all). You won't be able to rummage through your backpack, no, but if you've got a potion on your thigh, or another sword on your back, you can access it in battle. With such items, I don't see how it matters what you're doing with it, if you can take the time to access it.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I thought you would be able to access your "equipment" (what it's officially called, if I'm not mistaken), which is not only what you're wearing and wielding, but also what you have readied for quick-use (a pretty limited portion of that character's inventory, all-in-all). You won't be able to rummage through your backpack, no, but if you've got a potion on your thigh, or another sword on your back, you can access it in battle. With such items, I don't see how it matters what you're doing with it, if you can take the time to access it.

That's what I said. Belts.

• Like 1

That's what I said. Belts.

My mistake. I didn't realize that's what you meant by "belts." While I'll say that it might not be limited to just belts, that's not really a technicality I feel is important.

But, yeah, not knowing that you meant that, I was just trying to point out that the immediate "equipment" portion of the inventory might've been slightly more extensive than you thought. Sorry if that was unnecessary.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I don't believe that there will be any healing potions in Poe but I see your point,

I read those very informative posts by Josh which state that there will be potions in the game and that they are emphasizing on the effects being quite powerful. I can assume healing pots will also be present consequently (btw, drinking pots will trigger an animation which can be interrupted).

As for replying to topic, I would prefer item swapping is non-existent than it being there and allowing us to exploit it (as in older IE games).

*Edit*: forgot to add address of Josh's posts  :p

here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3593502&userid=17931&perpage=40&pagenumber=5

*2nd Edit*: I'm sorry, the address requires you to subscribe, see the content by accessing this topic:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64979-josh-sawyer-talks-about-stealth-mechanics/?hl=stealth

Unless something has changed recently, there will be no health potions in PoE.  It has been stated on several occasions.  Also, healing ( outside of resting/ camping) will only effect stamina, not health (in other words, regeneration of stamina).  Stamina will regenerate at a fast rate outside of combat as well.

During combat you'll be only be able to access your equipment, but I suppose it is plausible that you'll be able to swap quick items among party members if you'd be able to access the inventory screen which will show with disabled packs(like the stash is disabled in non resting location).

Also there might be "healing" potions for stamina.