Come play diplomacy!

Tigranes

Let's play diplomacy with fellow forumers, making us even more chummier than chummy can be!

http://webdiplomacy.net/

post-150-0-40786700-1397782042_thumb.jpg

There's a 7-player map and a 10-player map. Sign up, register, enter moves, talk to each other, scheme, backstab, and all that jazz. Our theme: The Pan-European War of Putinian Aggression.

Interest?

• Like 3

I'm down for this

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I remember this! This was a board game back when I was a kid!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

What kind of time commitment are we talking?

We can set 24 hour or 48 hour turns (the latter can be a bit of a drag though), check in once or twice per turn, spend 5-10 minutes looking at your options and sending PMs to people to scheme, would be the basic threshold. 

I kinda want to play, but I feel really uncomfortable playing a game like this multiplayer that I haven't played at least ONCE singleplayer. Hm...

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

You can't really play diplomacy single-player, it would be like Risk single-player. The game mechanics are simple and the number of sensible moves you can make at any given time is rather limited. 80% of the game is making deals with fellow players and backstabbing them.

Anyway, we can do this if we have 7 or more interested.

I'm interested, but am not 100% sure I can commit. How long do you think playing a game might take in day/week/month terms? My availability to play games gets curtailed as the weather improves. As such, I would likely prefer a 48 hour turn, as at some points in the coming months it won't be feasible for me to be at a computer every single day of the week, yet at least every other should be doable. Would 48 hours not potentially also make for more actual diplomacy?