Release on 2015 if that will mean a better game

I understand the developers are commited to release the game on the estimated date stated on Kickstarter Campaign, but we all know game content we founded is much bigger than what was first planned.

All I am saying is if they need more time, that is OK with me and I hope the majority of the backers agrees with me. 'Pillars of Eternity' should not be hurried if this will compromise game quality. I am not the expert in saying this but I believe old Infinity Engine games had more than 2 years of development to be the masterpieces that they are.

Developers can post a poll concerning this matter to see what our opinion is on this matter.

• Like 1

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

estimated date stated on Kickstarter Campaign: may 2014

postponed realease date due to your concerns in one of the recent updates: winter 2014

'nuff said

Edited by Messier-31
  • Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Some reference points:

Baldur's Gate. Required approx. 90 man-years of development time for simultaneously creating the game content and the Infinity Engine. The game was released in December 1998.

Planescape: Torment. Development began in 1997. The game was released in December 1999.

Baldur's Gate II. Development began in January 1999. The game was released in September 2000.

Icewind Dale II. Development began in July 2001. The game was released in August 2002.

Obviously any comparisons are hard to make given the technological advancements since those days, and the different financing models used.

• Like 2

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

Completely agree, I prefer quality. If they think this is needed and it is possible financially, I don't have a problem with Obsidian postponing the release date in order to finish up what ever needed (though I can't wait already :) The example of other Infinity games are proving exactly this I think, since they were not polished in many ways, especially from story and plot perspectives, due to pressure of release date and publisher companies (correct me if I am wrong).

Also how would they fund the prolonged development? Or are you saying that they are keeping some money back for whatever reason?

I agree; this type of statement keeps getting repeated, even though it makes absolutely no business sense. Suppose they spent $1 million of their own money to fund an additional 3 months of development. Would they recoup that in additional sales? No. It would be better to say: cut the lower priority stuff in order to bring the remainder up to a higher quality.

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Some reference points:

Baldur's Gate. Required approx. 90 man-years of development time for simultaneously creating the game content and the Infinity Engine. The game was released in December 1998.

Planescape: Torment. Development began in 1997. The game was released in December 1999.

Baldur's Gate II. Development began in January 1999. The game was released in September 2000.

Icewind Dale II. Development began in July 2001. The game was released in August 2002.

Obviously any comparisons are hard to make given the technological advancements since those days, and the different financing models used.

Very informative, thanks.

WHOAH ! 1 year of development for Baldur's Gate 2 ! I imagined it would have required much longer, even though Infinite Engine was ready for use.

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

WHOAH ! 1 year of development for Baldur's Gate 2 ! I imagined it would have required much longer, even though Infinite Engine was ready for use.

Not only you don't read the updates but also miscount - there are 21 months between Jan 1999 and Sep 2000, making it 1,75 years. Almost 2, ffs.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Not only you don't read the updates but also miscount - there are 21 months between Jan 1999 and Sep 2000, making it 1,75 years. Almost 2, ffs.

Terribly sorry for that, I misread. There was a lot of distraction at the time I read the reply.

Now on the matter, there seems to be a lot to be taken into account concerning delayed release, many financial issues my non-expertise cannot grasp. So I can trust Obsidian developers will continue their amazing work on their 'Pillars of Eternity' prodigy and that by the Winter of 2014 we will have a new cRPG favorite on a new Campaign World we will love.

I would really like 'Pillars of Eternity' to make me say: 'I like this game better than the BG series' (although BG series has always been my most favorite cRPG)

I don't know how much more people they have and will get working and on game than what they originally planned and how much more outsourcing they have used and will use, but as inXile's Wasteland 2 has shown, going several time over original budget can lengthen design and production time quite much, so one should prepare him/herself on that prospect that PoE's release date can slip over 2015, even with plans to release it later on this year.

Also how would they fund the prolonged development? Or are you saying that they are keeping some money back for whatever reason?

They have a money tree. Every time they announce a delay, they collect our tears of disappointment, then water the tree with them. Money trees love disappointment-infused tears.

• Like 13

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I understand the developers are commited to release the game on the estimated date stated on Kickstarter Campaign, but we all know game content we founded is much bigger than what was first planned.

All I am saying is if they need more time, that is OK with me and I hope the majority of the backers agrees with me. 'Pillars of Eternity' should not be hurried if this will compromise game quality. I am not the expert in saying this but I believe old Infinity Engine games had more than 2 years of development to be the masterpieces that they are.

Developers can post a poll concerning this matter to see what our opinion is on this matter.

No offense, but the devs will do whatever they think is best for the game. I trust them.

• Like 2

. I am not the expert in saying this but I believe old Infinity Engine games had more than 2 years of development to be the masterpieces that they are.

From what I understand after talking to various devs (not just Obs guys), a huge part of the time needed to develop a game is eaten up by the game engine itself. Since Obs has a pre-made engine, this means a far less development time required to get the game in a ready-state. Others have covered various other points re further delays, so I won't reiterate. But as far as delaying for more polish I expect, as far as polish and quality goes, the ratio of effective-return-to-man hours-invested will be rapidly approaching a suboptimal state by the end of the year.

• Like 2

I'll take your 2015 and i'll raise you 'til 2017.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

They'll be out of money by 2015. December 2014 at the latest IMO.

Steam Early Access should replenish their coffers for a couple extra months of Post-Production.

Edited by Sensuki

"No offense, but the devs will do whatever they think is best for the game. I trust them."

No offense,  but these are the same devs that made  DS3 and AP. trust in them is not advised.

On the other hand, these are the same devs that made MOTB and Fo;NV, so I can trust them..

However, I made a $250 bet with my own money that  PE will be a great game. I hope I bet the right way....

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It's not unlikely for it to be delayed to 2015 though. We all know all games get delayed.

From what I understand after talking to various devs (not just Obs guys), a huge part of the time needed to develop a game is eaten up by the game engine itself. Since Obs has a pre-made engine, this means a far less development time required to get the game in a ready-state.

That's why pretty much everyone doesn't make their own engine but uses a pre-made one. Unreal Engine 3 is most popular.

There are really only a few developers who do make their own engine, precisely for the reasons stated.

But since both UNITY and INFINITY were already pre-made, what's your point (expect of course INFINITY was more aimed for RPG's already than UNITY's standardpackage, so they probably need to make more adjustments that were already pre-made for their IE-games).

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

"No offense, but the devs will do whatever they think is best for the game. I trust them."

No offense,  but these are the same devs that made  DS3 and AP. trust in them is not advised.

*shrug*. You might be surprised what a difference the lack of publisher sled-team whipping makes. Publishers who directly control funding and the creative aspect of project development often (but not always) tend to inadvertently hinder that very same development with their disjointed choices (such as ones to "get the game to sell better," etc.)

There are a lot of things in both DS3 and AP that a lot of people liked, but then most people will agree that a lot of other things in both games could've been a lot better. I don't know for a fact that was the consequence of excessive publisher zeal, but, at least with this game, it's not even an issue. Also, since Kickstarter's model funded the game up front, they really don't have to do anything purely in the interest of increasing the game's market appeal. So, that's comforting, at least.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

"There are a lot of things in both DS3 and AP that a lot of people liked,"

Those people don't know  games then. *shrug*

And,s top blaming publishers for Obsidian's failures. Obsidian is responsible for Obsidian for the bad and the good.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Because... it's 10 days more than the current release date?

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee