Game of Cons: You Either Win Or You Don't Go To Comic-Con

Bryy

Nope, but please go Louis Theroux and post us some pics and interviews.

• Like 2

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Would be neat to get to see some pictures from there, I doubt that I'd ever see a comic-con personally so it's fun seeing pics.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Going to Fan Expo Vancouver in two weeks.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Plus, if SDCC sells out in minutes, maybe they need to start looking for a bigger venue.

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

Plus, if SDCC sells out in minutes, maybe they need to start looking for a bigger venue.

San Diego will never let Comic-Con; especially now with friction between Disney and CCI. WonderCon may even end up returning to SF instead of there being a WonderCon SF. 

The expansion to the SDCC looks amazing, but they are too chicken to actually start production.

• Like 1

And by cons, I'm more specifically talking in this initial post about WonderCon, which is taking place in Anaheim and is in a week and a half.

http://www.comic-con.org/wca

And, of course, with San Diego Comic-Con comning just 'round the bend.

Anyone going to either?

You guys are really fortunate to have these types of conventions that you can attend with relative ease. I wish we had them in South Africa, but if you go take loads of pictures so people who can't go get a vicarious enjoyment from your outing :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

And by cons, I'm more specifically talking in this initial post about WonderCon, which is taking place in Anaheim and is in a week and a half.

http://www.comic-con.org/wca

And, of course, with San Diego Comic-Con comning just 'round the bend.

Anyone going to either?

You guys are really fortunate to have these types of conventions that you can attend with relative ease. I wish we had them in South Africa, but if you go take loads of pictures so people who can't go get a vicarious enjoyment from your outing :)

Relative Ease is they key word. 

SDCC is now trial and error, where you either get a hotel or you don't. You either get a badge or you don't. I've been demoted this year to Trade Professional, and I may end up asking for a refund. Hotel Reg open up tomorrow at 9am sharp, and all downtown hotels get sucked up within three minutes.

I'm back in NorCal now, so even WonderCon is tough for me. Thank God there are 8 of us for SDCC, since I don't have an extra $2300 of Fun Money just lying around.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

post-296-0-61010900-1397857296_thumb.jpg

Saw this guy at Fan Expo Vancouver

• Like 3

Devastatorsig.jpg

post-296-0-61010900-1397857296_thumb.jpg

Saw this guy at Fan Expo Vancouver. No idea why the picture is sideways.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Day 2 they jacked up the price of photo ops and autographs. So now its $50 for Tom Felton's (Draco Malfoy in Harry Potter movies) autograph, and $70 for a photo op. that's more than Stan Lee last year, and Tom Felton is hardly the celebrity Stan Lee is. Michael Rosenbaum was awesome and did a personal message for my daughter(Who is a huge Flash fan) so we're dishing out the $50 for a photo with him. I wanted Bruce Campbell, but they jacked his prices up too. He was in an epic purple leisure suit though.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Just got back!

I ended up buying Constant C on Steam one day because they had a great booth and were really nice and talkative. That's marketing people! Will post pics later, I guess. There are a lot. I need to cherry pick. Saw a fantastic TF2 cosplay. Oh, and randomly had drinks with a dude name Chris the last night. He makes games or something. 

Overall, it was one of the best cons I've been to. Got a lot of work done, but also had a really relaxing time. Went by super fast, though.

• Like 1

Where there any panels worth attending to?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Just got back!

I ended up buying Constant C on Steam one day because they had a great booth and were really nice and talkative. That's marketing people! Will post pics later, I guess. There are a lot. I need to cherry pick. Saw a fantastic TF2 cosplay. Oh, and randomly had drinks with a dude name Chris the last night. He makes games or something. 

Overall, it was one of the best cons I've been to. Got a lot of work done, but also had a really relaxing time. Went by super fast, though.

Sounds like it was loads of fun and productive, don't forget to post those pictures you mentioned :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Day 2 they jacked up the price of photo ops and autographs. So now its $50 for Tom Felton's (Draco Malfoy in Harry Potter movies) autograph, and $70 for a photo op. that's more than Stan Lee last year, and Tom Felton is hardly the celebrity Stan Lee is. Michael Rosenbaum was awesome and did a personal message for my daughter(Who is a huge Flash fan) so we're dishing out the $50 for a photo with him. I wanted Bruce Campbell, but they jacked his prices up too. He was in an epic purple leisure suit though.

back in 1975, we went to a white sox game. bucky dent signed our mitt. didn't even ask for money.  weird.

still have the mitt, btw.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The FAQ on the site says most guests don't charge for autographs. The comic guests don't charge for autographs all the others do.From what I gather, its their agents that set the prices, and when they feel like it they throw a freebie around. Michael Rosenbaum made my daughter a personalized video and signed a flash picfor the price of the photo (they ddidn't charge for photos last year). He was a really cool guy.

Devastatorsig.jpg

During Stephen Amell's (Oliver Queen on Arrow) panel at Fan Expo a guy got up and was like "Thank you for filling the void of comic book tv that Agents of SHIELD failed to do." Then he guestured to the crowd and was like "right people!?" And the crowd was silent. Guy was obviously one of the people who stopped watching at the beginning of the season.

Devastatorsig.jpg

During Stephen Amell's (Oliver Queen on Arrow) panel at Fan Expo a guy got up and was like "Thank you for filling the void of comic book tv that Agents of SHIELD failed to do." Then he guestured to the crowd and was like "right people!?" And the crowd was silent. Guy was obviously one of the people who stopped watching at the beginning of the season.

Or the crowd just didn't agree with him, or he just didn't like the show.

I don't like the show. It's fun but it's not gripping TV.

But that does remind me of last years SDCC when they premiered The Flashpoint Paradox, which is DC's bloodiest DCAU film to date. The Q&A panel was filled with manchildren.

Most people who gave the show a hard time at first but continued to watch are liking it now. Most that continue to say it sucks stopped watching within the firat 6 episodes or so, the crowds reaction said to me they disagreed with him about it sucking, and he seemed confused by that.

Flashpoint Paradox bugged me because with the art style and subject matter it was like DC Ninja Scroll, and it just didn't feel right. Mostly due to the art style I think. Aquaman just shouldn't be murdering people.

Devastatorsig.jpg