HP Lovecraft was an arse - EVERYONE ROLL FOR SAN LOSS!

Guys, I'm a Lovecraft RPG newbie, mainly because the rules make me roll my eyes. How can I best play whilst making sure I can play the way I want?

Dunno about that, but certain people are making a noise about the Trail of Cthulhu ruleset being vastly superior to CoC. Never looked into it (I can do pretty much whatever I want from CoC in W40K), but maybe you should give it a try?

I will.

Guys, I'm a Lovecraft RPG newbie, mainly because the rules make me roll my eyes. How can I best play whilst making sure I can play the way I want?

I will always urge anyone to adapt the core rules of any system. You won't get the balances right, probably, but better by far that you try than struggle with a bad fit.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Speaking of which, our new GM has adapted the Chaosium Basic Roleplay system by renaming 'sanity' as 'hope'. We're now in a zombie apocalypse setting. It works.

Essentially, 'hope' is a mishmash of self-actualisation and optimism in general. At least this stat has some peer-reviewed tests for it! :lol:

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Speaking of which, our new GM has adapted the Chaosium Basic Roleplay system by renaming 'sanity' as 'hope'. We're now in a zombie apocalypse setting. It works.

Essentially, 'hope' is a mishmash of self-actualisation and optimism in general. At least this stat has some peer-reviewed tests for it! :lol:

Do you have to pass willpower checks when you have low hope?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Do you have to pass willpower checks when you have low hope?

I'm not sure exactly how the ref will run low hope. We chatted about it. We're likely to get stuff like falls in endurance. But generally he is likely to want us to run on roleplaying it.

The neat thing so far is that we seem to be able to bounce back when things go well.

We took a bit of a hit in the session yesteday, because the raid on a local shopping district was a bust. One party member fell off a car and got a metal pipe through his side. We managed to clean him out, but the whole experience was very draining, and the mood is sombre. So down by ten points.

But if we do well, show we can cope, learn new skills... hope goes up!

-Elwood Blues