Update #75: Bringing Creatures to Life: Animation on Pillars of Eternity

It makes my black hearth cry in joy, to learn that so many people share this silly sentiment towards CP wheels with me.

It's alright... a bunch of people here at Obsidian really want one too.

This April Fools' Day joke was actually done by a producer at Paradox. We thought it would be pretty funny and he actually made a 3D prototype that he painted. Looks pretty cool.

You know, it wouldn't even had to be that in a strict sense. Maybe something more like a physical recreation of an in game quest item, that one have to use to solve a puzzle or crack a safe in a minor treasure hunt, sidequest, or something like that. A very special kind of easter egg if you wish, still retaining the shape and "mechanics" of an actual thing... Maybe even... wait... Good grief, look at me rambling like some kind of sugar fueled kid. 

<sigh>

Gotta admit - that Paradox producer pulled one helluva prank. If only they would top that by actually making it real and then keeping it secret until release. THAT would be a prank of some proportions. What? I'm not trying to fool anyone into actually doing so, I'm, uuh... I'm just lost in a fantasy world again. Gotta stop myself before it get's out of control.

So, here comes apologies for initially ignoring the rest of the update. I just experience a nostalgia overload and felt so... compelled by... that... preciousss...

Aw god damn it! <snap!>

But seriously - kudos for animation team for their commitment, it already shows. I like especially that "heavy feel" of the second, horned creature and overall, pitiful shabbiness of the ghoul/zombie. If only it wouldn't share the exactly same attack with the aforementioned beast... but I'm nitpicking now.

Good job ladies and gentlemen. Good job indeed :)

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.

Good update, my internet stinks back here, so the interviews should be finished buffering by morning ;) I like the animations, if you guys have time to go back to them in the end and play with the timing a bit more to pause and speed them up, I think it would lend more emotion to the creatures. Right now everything looks ok, but they just don't feel scary or threatening cause the cadence is a little too predictable. Maybe the slow guys could stumble a tad then almost trip but speed up like they're trying to keep from falling over. Also maybe the wolf attack could have some quicker pouncing strikes, or more assertive lunging, etc. I'm expecting when things see us in game they want us dead bad is all I'm saying. At the moment the animations seem to serve their purpose but lack that bit of personality that makes them feel like they have weight or oomf in them. I know it's alpha, and I'm not saying they suck, just something to think about as ya move forward over the next several months. :)

• Like 1

<-also loved the code-wheel idea ((nostalgia))

Animator is my new dream job - mostly because of being allowed to play with practice swords in the office :lol:

Just got to see the creature animations :thumbsup:

Druid cat form looks great now that it's animated.  Trolls and revenant looking good too :)

Edited by Silent Winter

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Update by Rose Gomez, Associate Producer

ARMing the Masses

Hey, guys. Brandon here.

Here at Obsidian, we know that DRM can be a touchy subject so we got together with our friends at Paradox to think of a better solution, because you know, rights need to be managed. What came out of those discussions is... the Pillars of Eternity A.R.M.

pe-code-wheel-580.jpg

Pillars of Eternity A.R.M. (Analog Rights Management)

Much like the code wheels of old, players will be greeted with a large, glowing question rune on the title screen. In addition to the question rune, ten smaller runes will also be displayed. Players will then have to use the Pillars of Eternity A.R.M. code wheel to decode the question rune and select the properly revealed rune. It's fast and (somewhat) easy.

Be careful, though, because two incorrect selections in a row and your copy of Pillars of Eternity will become locked down for 72 hours while our customer service department investigates possible fraud.

April Fools'! As we said from the very beginning, Pillars of Eternity is, and always will be, DRM, and ARM, free.

That's it for now. Head over to our forums and let us know what you think of the update.

Okay. ^-----That thing must get into the game somehow. Easter egg puzzle that unlocks a bit of content? Come on. Please do it.

• Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

That ARM-wheel! M.u.s.t...h.a.v.e... :skeptical:

I sense a new KS coming up, with a circular rune tablet as the piece of resistance.

The animations were vey nice. I liked them all, but for some reason, that zombie topped them all. It was drop-dead gorgeous!

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Wow! Nice update guys, i'm looking forward to the next with Justin Bell!

Oh by the way, was the ARM code-wheel really an april-fools joke? But if it's that so, how i'm supposed to put the right amount of lunarium in my rocket pack without it? hmm? Wait, wrong game i guess... (ah my old Amiga 500)

Ohh i really did like the wheel idea...though it was for real. Remind me the wheel of those good old games.

Always said that kind of "ARM" is much better than any digital DRM that can be cracked and also add value to the game.

pe-animators-acting-580.jpg

The animators gathering reference for a wild Xaurip attack.

This is why LARPing beats motion capture :D

Question:

How many animation segments per creature are made (on average) for a creature that takes about a month to animate? How much for a creature that takes two?

Hah, i also wouldn't mind the rune wheel, but only if it activates only the first time, or something like once a full moon.

Actually the idea to use it for extra content in the game isn't such a bad thought either.

Edited by Cubiq

If you're in a hurry and want to get down to the quick details, check out their article 10 Pillars of Eternity Details We Picked Up During Our Tour of Obsidian Entertainment.

From this link:

◦There’s an environmental feature in the game that looks a lot like the Pillar of Skulls from Planescape: Torment, awash with magical energy. We didn’t get any details on exactly what this thing was, but the quick glimpse we had of it let a definite impression.

Intriguing.

Can we get more info about this structure-thing?

I'd guess that it's a pillar of adra (the magical morter that allows for weird buildings and gives the game its title).

I would pay for that codewheel.

Count me in! A very nice gimmick!

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

I honestly thought that the Animators Video was the Aprils fools prank and the code wheel was real. You got my hopes up :( But Kudos @ paradox ... first one who got me ever.

Still don't belive the Animator really do that ... it sounds (and looks) way to silly ^^ But well i might normally not fall for pranks but on 1th April i don't even believe things that are real ^^

Thanks for the update, Rose (and Brandon)! The animations are generally looking really nice. The hips of the last creature seemed awfully static when walking which looks a little unnatural in my eyes, though. Maybe it doesn't make a difference when the camera is all zoomed out. I can't wait for the next update.

• Like 3

There are no “garbage” stats in Pillars. Every stat is important to every character in some way. Intelligence, for example, affects the range of certain warrior abilities. High-intelligence warriors can excel at crowd control in ways that stereotypical “dumb” warriors could never manage.

This seems interesting. I always like it when there are several viable builds in an RPG and not just one optimal one.

Very informative update :)

Are you using any kind of mocap? Or are these keyframe only animations?
Boox is right, the Revenant animation looks weird because the pelvis/center of mass doesn't move relative to the ground, to make it more natural the pelvis should move up and down, rotate and swing side-to-side as the weight is shifted from one leg to the other.

• Like 1

Soo... when are we gonna see some gameplayfootage?

In the trailer.

Oh, and also here:

« Celui qui est consumé par la flamme de la justice ne craint ni le ciel, ni l’enfer ; il n’est qu’une arme attendant le jour de sa mort ». (Paul Murphy, l'Enclave, 1971)

Very informative update :)

Are you using any kind of mocap? Or are these keyframe only animations?

Boox is right, the Revenant animation looks weird because the pelvis/center of mass doesn't move relative to the ground, to make it more natural the pelvis should move up and down, rotate and swing side-to-side as the weight is shifted from one leg to the other.

I too was curious about tech, especially after Satellite Reign released their fascinating animation video.

• Like 2

Movement for the Druid Spirit animal form and Zombie are great; Troll seems a bit lumbering, but it's hard to tell without context (how big is a troll?).  Animations for the Troll and Zombie attacks need a lot of work; they look like little league pitchers.  Nothing, anywhere would attack like that.