Fat Athletes With Wood - aka The Baseball 2014 Thread

Keyrock

Wouldn't fat batsmen be a liability?

On the basepaths, yes, but they tend to hit for power which makes up for their lack of speed.  On defense, they tend to play positions where they don't have to move around a lot, like 1st base, or the DH if they're in the AL.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

For years my fantasy baseball team had "Fat" as a prefix. But really it was wordplay on "Phat." Though many of my players were both phat and fat.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Rays split the four games with the Jays 2-2. Not bad over all. Pitching has been solid with the exception of Alex Cobbs shaky start in game 2. Offense has been sporadic but, it is the Rays after all.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

So it looks like Josh Hamilton will be out for about 2 months after injuring his thumb.  "This is a shocking turn of events" - Nobody

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Arg! I have been a loyal Tampa Bay Rays fan since 1998. And friends let me tell you that has not been easy all that time. But this year I was so ignorant of their schedule that ended up working in the same city they were playing in and did not make arrangements to go to a game. DAMMIT!

We've lost Mat Moore for the year, Hellikson is out until June, Cobb is on the 15 day DL, and the first of the Durham call ups laid a HUGE egg in Cincinnati today. All the sudden there is cause to be concerned about our pitching staff.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Sawx got hit with a bunch of naging little injuries right of the bat this season.  Nothing major, but it still sucks to not have a team at full strength for even 1 game this season so far.  On top of that, they've just plain sucked so far.  Of course, the MLB season is insanely long, so starting out crappy isn't a very big deal.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

That was a classy move by the guy who caught Pujols 500th HR ball to give it back. It was even classier when he invited the guy who almost caught it (in fact was hit by it) and his kids to meet Pujols with him.

Thomas Sowell

Ridiculous, Aaron Harang. You're not the player I once knew when you wore a Mariners uniform. Your gonna have to come back down to earth sooner or later.

He threw a good game against the fish today. Sometimes a change of scenery does a guy some good.

Thomas Sowell

Woo Hoo, double header sweep of the "Sawx" for the first time in club history. Great games too, I watched them both. That might be just the thing the "reelin" Rays need to salvage this road trip. Now, on the New York!

Thomas Sowell

Watching Yanks & Rays. It's bottom of 13 with 2 outs & two on. Very stressful.

Thomas Sowell

An MLB game in May stressful?  Seriously?  I barely pay attention until August.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

An MLB game in May stressful?  Seriously?  I barely pay attention until August.

Hay every game counts. That's why they keep score. Losses in April & May can easily make wins in August irrelevant.

Thomas Sowell

Wow, I should have focused more on getting one or two guys from the Rockies for my fantasy team. They're ridiculous at the plate at home.

Especially Tulo, he's having a career year so far.

Thomas Sowell

All of the sudden the Marlins are not looking so bad. I still hate Loria with a passion though. He's got to go. I'm also hoping Jeb Bush will buy the team. Not only will that give them a decent owner it will keep him out of politics. It's a win-win.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Rays have split with the Angels so far. Game three starts in an hour. They are playing better lately but still very inconsistent on both sides of the plate. It amazes me how many folks were ready to kick dirt on their graves after that six game skid. Yes, things still don't look rosy but they are only 5 games back and it's only May for crying out loud.

Thomas Sowell

I used to think that Crazy Train was the best but if Reddick continues to rake like this, I'll add Wham to my already extensive George Michael catalog.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle