Update #74: The Mob Rulers: Wizards and Druids and our Partnership with Paradox

I feel like some (not all) people advocating insta-death-type effects sort of forcibly twisted everything around into "there's absolutely no reason to have such things, at all, ever; they're not fun, they don't do anything different at all, and they never should've been in any game ever in the first place," and just pretended the argument was simply attacking such effects for no apparent reason and somehow trying to get them removed from the game.

What?

Honestly, I feel like Stun and Hiro justify their spiteful moves by just assuming that everyone else is intentionally being spiteful from the get-go, and trying to win some battle or something. I mean, you suggest that some detail was misunderstood (in toneless text on the internet -- how could that be?!), and they act like it's a personal attack and retaliate. And you point out "I see that you're saying A, but I'm saying B, and I don't think you're considering B," and the response you get is "LOLZ! Oh, so I guess A doesn't exist, and B is the ruler of the universe?! WHAT NONSENSE!"

Oh! Well, you know what I think? I think that Lephys is a relatively intelligent guy who knows Zelda, Tetris and Mario better than 95% of the rest of the teenage population, but unfortunately has never actually played Baldurs Gate 2, Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale 2, and therefore could not possibly have the first clue how the Death spells he's been desperately attempting to criticize for the last 12 months actually work and gel within those games. Yet he probably Honestly believes he's an expert on the subject because he's read and memorized some opinionated Forum posts from Josh Sawyer. And I believe that he honestly thinks that his arguments actually make sense and his opponents are just dishonestly and spitefully waving them away, instead of meticulously addressing them, disputing them, and refuting them to the point of being seen as fanatic Gary Gygax acolytes. Edited by Stun

Explain what? How Death spells worked well in Table Top AD&D but failed in cRPGs, even though their cross-platform implementation/application was one of the small handful of tabletop features that managed to get translated in letter perfect fashion, almost as if they were specifically designed for cRPGs instead of the other way around??

Well of course you won't explain it. You Can't.

Edited by Stun

@Stun:

You misunderstand.  I have no problem with the IE games' implementation of death spells.  I'm more or less neutral on that issue.  What I was talking about was more general problems with the ruleset's translation into a computer game.  The spell system as a whole is honestly something I like.

@Tauron Depends how you look at it...

The wizard could shape magic if he wished but elects not to because he finds it inefficient, preferring to research and study magic.

Mhmhmhm...thats...thin. But I appreciate the effort :)

You did notice Tauron, that the wizard in your signature portrait is channeling magic through a grimoire, right?

• Like 1

Wizaaard!! Really liking the implementation of increased daily spell casting frequency of Wizard (Caster?) spells with increasing levels, all the way to infinity (at-wills) at the higher levels; it certainly helps to keep the lower tier spells viable near the endgame without requiring their being gimmicky (DnD 2e Chromatic Orb comes to mind). And though not the biggest Druid fan, the concept art for the animal forms released thus far, as well as their spell selection look amazing. Keep up the phenomenal work guys!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, I made a thread in the other subforum with the intent to try to have a central hub of known Backer Content. Would the backers of the items in said Update be so kind as to reveal themselves to the group?

And just like that, after reading this update, the Wizard and Druid just became my two favorite classes.

I know this update was posted about a month ago, so who cares? But it's true. Knowledge and nature are my two favorite aspects of life, and they are both so beautifully exemplified for the wizard and druid class. I love how the wizards are researchers and experimenters, who control magic through knowledge and books. I love the grimoires, the magic they possess, and the magic they can be used for.

I also LOVE how the Druids seem to be more offensive this game. I love how most of the spells are heavily offensive (as opposed to supportive and healing), derived from different aspects of nature, and how they turn into strong hybridized versions of various animals. It seems druids blast powerful offensive spells and turn into powerful hybridized animals. That is incredible. This is how I always felt druids should be.

Also, I LOVE the Celestial Sapling. An inn built into a tree just looks and sounds amazing, and can't wait to see it in the game!

This is amazing. Now I can't wait for the game more than ever! ^_^

"Not I, though. Not I," said the hanging dwarf.

I dunno... I mean, I'm not offended in any way by the Druid. What? Ohhhhhhh... 8)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Sorry for the confusion. I was being silly, and throwing about some literal humor regarding this sentence:

I also LOVE how the Druids seem to be more offensive this game.

8P. Nothing to see here, people. Just terrible, terrible jokes. *stormtrooper voice* Move along!

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

• 1 month later...

pe-backer-inn-580.jpg

The Celestial Sapling

Inspired by this charming image I've composed another fan art music. So this time it's a theme for The Celestial Sapling inn.

https://soundcloud.com/consona-adversa-pars/the-celestial-sapling-theme

Enjoy and thank you for listening! :)

• Like 1

Pillars of Eternity Twin Elms and Celestial Sapling and Torment: Tides of Numenera Crystalline DimensionBefore the fall and Bloom original fan art music.

pe-backer-inn-580.jpg

The Celestial Sapling

Inspired by this charming image I've composed another fan art music. So this time it's a theme for The Celestial Sapling inn.

https://soundcloud.com/consona-adversa-pars/the-celestial-sapling-theme

Enjoy and thank you for listening! :)

Nice.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

• 3 weeks later...

Wizaaard!! Really liking the implementation of increased daily spell casting frequency of Wizard (Caster?) spells with increasing levels, all the way to infinity (at-wills) at the higher levels; it certainly helps to keep the lower tier spells viable near the endgame without requiring their being gimmicky (DnD 2e Chromatic Orb comes to mind).

Being a Wizard fanatic in all Infinity games, I can only agree with you ! AT-will casting for 1st or 2nd level spell is really a good idea. Specially for Identify items ?  :w00t:

But do not sub-estimate Chromatic Orb, I remember insta-kill a dragon in BGB two thanks to one of those !

Wizaaard!! Really liking the implementation of increased daily spell casting frequency of Wizard (Caster?) spells with increasing levels, all the way to infinity (at-wills) at the higher levels; it certainly helps to keep the lower tier spells viable near the endgame without requiring their being gimmicky (DnD 2e Chromatic Orb comes to mind).

Being a Wizard fanatic in all Infinity games, I can only agree with you ! AT-will casting for 1st or 2nd level spell is really a good idea. Specially for Identify items ?  :w00t:

But do not sub-estimate Chromatic Orb, I remember insta-kill a dragon in BGB two thanks to one of those !

Chromatic orb is my favourite lvl1 spell. Not so damaging as magic missile but paralysis on it was superb

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I wish there could be some non-combat spells.Such spells always were cool!

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

So,are there some kind of arch wizard grimoires, which can hold more spells than normal grimoires?

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...