Even more important ... will there be cats in pointy hats? :biggrin:

cat-wizard-hat01.jpg

cat-wizard-hat02.jpg

...but yes, I like pointy wizard hats too. Altho, I like other types of wizard caps as well. Mix and match....

• Like 5
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The more different hats the better.

As long as the pointy hat stats are also found on non-pointy hats... both lover and hater should be able to find what they desire in PoE without the need to be forced to look "stupid" just to get that bonus...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

The more different hats the better.

As long as the pointy hat stats are also found on non-pointy hats... both lover and hater should be able to find what they desire in PoE without the need to be forced to look "stupid" just to get that bonus...

That's another problem I have.

In NWN2, my wizard had this bitching pimp hat and a glowing purple robe.

But then I found this spiked helmet made entirely out of clipping errors that gave me +lots to concentrate, so I could cast defensively all the time.

I went with that and looked like an idiot.

Obsidian, just give us cosmetic items to determine appearance.

In fact, all rpgs should work like that.

• Like 4

Since Wizards probably draw gunfire, they may not want to be too obvious about their profession prior to hostilities. Then again an egotistical wizard probably likes a lot of flair, so maybe those would have unusual hat styles?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Since Wizards probably draw gunfire, they may not want to be too obvious about their profession prior to hostilities. Then again an egotistical wizard probably likes a lot of flair, so maybe those would have unusual hat styles?

Flair is important. If you need a wizard, are you going to hire the dirty guy in mud brown burlap, or the guy in red robes floating a foot above the ground?

Yes, being obviously a wizard does draw gunfire. On the other hand, even without pointy hats the wizard is usualy going to be the one without much weaponry or armor, so you can just shoot at that guy.

Obsidian, just give us cosmetic items to determine appearance.

In fact, all rpgs should work like that.

With the exception, perhaps, of legendary items. In which case, just don't make them look stupid.

You know, "Ahh, this is mechanically the greatest sword you can find in the game, but its powers are based on the god of trickery, so its model is a giant whoopie cushion with a jester hat, 8D!"

You know... that item design that's funny/effective for like 10 seconds, then you REALLY wish it was a bit more practical.

AC 4 is a great example of this effect: The outfits that require the most resources/effort to achieve are the ones you can craft, and they all look like you just mugged a hobo (the whaling outfits and hunting outfits, etc.). I have nothing against a plain outfit, like a whaling outfit, but, for heaven's sake... there are like 3 of them, and they each look about 10% different from one another, and they just aren't much fun at all.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Yeah, that was a bad example... I guess I'm just talking about those weapons that are SO full of unique flavor, they're almost not even in the realm of weapons anymore. Like "This sword belonged to a legendary Bard, so it's actually just a large piece of broken harp frame that's been sharpened on one edge, and is now magical." That sort of thing. Just because you want a legendary weapon doesn't mean you want to swing a broken instrument frame around.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Pointy hats: oh yes!  People slag them off, people say they look bad, but they are always better than what we normally get for wizards, and attempting to avoid them results just in ****e looking mages.  Take the hats for wizards in DAO, they were crap, my mage was embarrassed wearing it.  Hell, I was embarrassed, the whole goddamn world was embarrassed for having them and they brought nothing.  Nothing beats a good pointy hat!  Here's evidence of how awesome they look in real life:

http://www.sallypointer.com/pointygallery.htm

witch7.JPG

witch-191x266.jpg

hats2-334x215.jpg

EDIT:  A well-done pointy hat with the right costume can even look ominous and creepy, giving mystique to the wearer.

Edited by FlintlockJazz

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Agree, the wide brim version is the better version, removing the brim is what makes it look more like the kiddy version of wizard.  IMHO of course.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Agree, the wide brim version is the better version, removing the brim is what makes it look more like the kiddy version of wizard.  IMHO of course.

Right, we need the kiddy versions. Plus grossy-oversized weapons, boob plate, gold-plated cod pieces, and more... :p

You forgot a staff (with a knob on the end) :biggrin:

A staff?! Most Wizards I've ever known of have had maybe one assistant/apprentice, tops.

8)

• Like 2

I dislike pointy wizard hats, but then I dislike most hats. Give me a good circlet or crown any day. That said, since we're almost certainly going to get hats, I'd much prefer pointy hats to most other varieties. Especially if the other variety in question comes from DA1.

• Like 1

Crowns are symbols of mortal authority, telling everyone who sees you wearing one that you're a king of some sort.

Pointy hats are symbols of magical authority, telling everyone who sees you wearing one that you can reduce them to a pair of smoking boots.

Also, you can't pull rabbits out of a crown.

• Like 1

I kinda like it when specifically magical equipment -- i.e. "this head equipment grants +2 Intellect and +5% spell accuracy," etc. -- gets its own style. Like... instead of being a metal helmet for protection, or just fancy cloth or something, it's a crystal that, when placed against your head, sort of "grows" into a crystally circlet. Stuff like that.

Not that you can't also have "regular" armor (functional armor pieces) or attire (Cloaks, hoods, etc.) that boost specifically magical capabilities. But, it's nice when some items are strictly magical in nature. If I want something on my head to boost my focus and spell radius, or cast speed, I don't necessarily want a leather helm, or a regular hat.

• Like 1

You're kind of missing the point.

I was trying to say that pointy hats are like a uniform or something in that they inform everyone who looks at you that you're a mage, akin to how a lab coat informs everyone that the person wearing it is a scientist.

You're kind of missing the point.

I was trying to say that pointy hats are like a uniform or something in that they inform everyone who looks at you that you're a mage, akin to how a lab coat informs everyone that the person wearing it is a scientist.

Well then there's my point: 'pointy' hats are very suggestive of a specific culture. This is a different world with different cultures and history; introducing something that clearly doesn't fit the theme may break the forth plane--much as would a lab coat in an ancient roman setting, for example. If they do introduce pointy hats, then I would hope they don't look like they came from the Wizard of Oz. So no, I hope they don't have pointy hats with floppy rims like the pictures presented earlier, unless they fit the theme. :)

• Like 1