Monte's MMO Adventure

Hello.

I've never been able to play MMOs. Why? I don't know. I love fantasy RPGs and over the past few years I've made some really good gaming buddies online in RTS games.

So, with that in mind, surely I should enjoy MMOs. Or at least not find them as goddam awful. So, I thought, maybe MMOs are like smoking - unpalatable until you force yourself to get hooked.

Well I'm always looking out for a new vice.

So I booted up Steam and perused the MMOs on offer. And there are a lot of them.

In the end I chose Age of Conan ('Unleashed' or something, although putting Conan on a leash sounds unwise). Why? Well it's free, I love Conan and I reckon it's going to be fairly quiet. I don't want a crowded MMO FFS, do I?

Anyhoo, this thread is where I am going to share my Conan MMO-adventures to see how I get on. In the future MMO designers will marvel at this thread.

sonsofgygax.JPG

If you feel like torturing yourself, just play Neverwinter Nights.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Bit of friendly advice Monte, don't waste your time trying to enjoy them. Drinking piss by the gallon doesn't make it taste better.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Try EVE, it's all mouse based.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

^ Yes, but some must suck less than others.

Dammit Conan's WASD plus 1,2,3  combat commands are impossible. Why can't I just use my mouse?

Point & Click-type control schemes are going to be even worse to manage once you realize that you need to have eleventy billion keyboard shortcuts to abilities if you want to pull your weight. Well, not really. You eventually become used to it and the worst part is rearranging the UI and keyboard bindings when you roll an alt. But generally speaking, MMOs don't have simple controls, at least when compared to SP-only RPGs and RTS. The learning curve is just another timesink carefully considered by devs, and MMOs, unlike the rest of genres, are built around timesinks.

What exactly are you looking for in online games that has drawn you to MMOs? That may help you narrow down the choices.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Doesn't EVE require a spreadsheet and Ninja Excel skills?

If you're an industrialist or running an alliance perhaps.  But I suppose you'd find the combat uninteresting.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Age of Conan lost me within a day of playing it.  I played Neverwinter Online for months, so that's something, but I've given up on that too.  The Secret World is cool in that it has vastly superior writing and happens in a much more interesting setting than other MMOs, but good lord are the mechanics awful.  I guess what I'm saying is that I can't recommend anything to you because it all sucks.  Some help I am.  :p

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

isn't Diablo 3 an MMO now?

EVE would probably be right up your alley, from what my friends tell me about it, but it has a step learning curve. it's almost a rogue-like game

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

sorry, double post

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Fantasy MMOs indeed seem to all suck.

If you go beyond fantasy...

The Secret World has great writing, far superior to any other MMO, but they took the Conan combat nd made it even more boring (though in retrospect that may have been an improvement :/ ).

Champions Online has the best character creator.

DC Universe Online has the most fun travel power (acrobatics, throwing a rope/cable/web/whatever across to the opposit building and pulling yourself towards it: fun fun fun).

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

EVE would probably be right up your alley, from what my friends tell me about it, but it has a step learning curve. it's almost a rogue-like game

Meh, EVE's learning curve isn't that hard.  Simply obey the rule of only fly what you can lose and you'll be set.  Think the tutorials are handier now than when I first started, and there's always people willing to help (surprisingly some are not total sociopaths.)

sociopaths

"sociopaths"...Monte you should fit in perfectly there :p

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

^ Please bugger off Bruce.

Wowzers Monte you're in a mood, but I can tell when I'm not wanted so I'll leave this thread alone and not give any MMO idea's :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well, I've been playing TOR off and on since it came out. If you want some general emotive star wars music and blaster fire to go with lightsaber sound effects and spoken cutscenes instead of wall of text questgivers...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Well I've just given Conan ten minutes and uninstalled it. I will now try another.

Hehe, made me laugh.

Such is the fate of most MMO's. Not that I've played many. For some reason I liked WoW when it first came out and played that (by my lonesome...) for a long time. Tried a few others, didn't like any of them. Like Keyrock I played NW:Online for some months but now don't care.

I tend to like the open-world MMO's for exploring and such, but after that ... so far it's felt like once you played one, there isn't any reason to play another. At best, they're fun in that Diablo-like way. And in terms of playing with random strangers on the 'net, I think I had more fun via Diablo2 group monster bashing then any "MMO" I've tried.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Try vanilla WoW, there are very good servers out there (i.e. emerald dream) with a great and a very big community. They're populated by adults, no kids there. Lots of people are playing at low and mid levels so you never feel alone and can always find a party for dungeons.

For better or worse, it's the best thing that you can get in terms of MMO at this moment. WoW went to **** pretty much after the first expansion, kids got to it, the game aligned itself to please kids more, etc. On vanilla servers you get the exact replica of what you could get in 2004-2005 with the exact same people playing.

Blizzard doesn't even condone or forbid it.

edscreen1.jpg

Edited by Bester
  • Like 1
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link