Okay, so I couldn't find reference to this anywhere else.  Do we know how starting attributes will be determined?  Will it be a virtual 3d6 roll?  Or a standardized point allocation system?  Or something else?

The reason I ask is because the problem I have with a simulated dice roll, is that I imagine most people will be clicking re-roll until they get suitably large amount of points to allocate to attributes.  Is it worth admitting this and just say "everyone gets this many points for attributes"?

Thoughts?  Preferences?

There is no 'rolling', only creation.

point allocation system. rolling the dice is a waste of time, because people spend 30 minutes just trying to get a good roll in the first place: it determines the game difficulty without the developers taking it into account. Either your game becomes too easy, or (if you don't invest the time) too difficult.

edit: should have read the rest of your post. Sawyer agrees with you so that's the way it's being done.

Edited by ItinerantNomad
  • Like 1

Sawyer agrees with you so that's the way it's being done.

Awesome! Super happy about this. Gonna save so much time. Also it introduces an interesting element of choice into character creation/stat allocation.

PS: Could someone point me to where Sawyer/anyone mentions this?

There is no 'rolling', only creation.

I was going to say arm-wrestling-contests but actually that sounds hella rad now that I think about it.

That would at least exclude any form of stochasticity from the process. After all, in sexual reproduction, everyone's genome is drawn from a simple pool of two genomes, the only variability is which section of the final genome is taken from which parent. Taking Mendel's work into account, there's very little veracity to the idea that someone's capabilities can be truly random.

Even then, a die only has so many sides, and thus the "rolls" in question are limited to the number of sides on a given die or set of dice. Unless it's a sphere, in which case you might as well just make everything up and say you have infinite points in all attributes because a perfect sphere has infinite "sides."

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

The funny thing about rolling stats is, even if you want a "bad" character, you still have to roll repeatedly until you get what you want (because you have no control over it). I say that because re-rolling for good stats is always pointed out, with many people suggesting that rolling is great so that you have to deal with not-awesome stats sometimes.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

With a DM there to enforce things you do have to deal with mediocre stats, but in a cRPG you just have to click a button to reroll. If you make the player jump through hoops (instead of letting them just push that button) then they will curse you for it.

I am a DM that usually, if the group consists of mostly seasoned players, uses a roll system in my games. If the game allows, that is. Seasoned players know how to use consumables and tricks to make up for shortcomings. If they are new to the game or PnP then I use a point buy system and help them build the character they want.

For a cRPG I feel a point buy system is best.

• Like 1

If they wanted to please the dice-rolling crowd, they could randomly generate stats that always add up to the same point total. I.e. just:

1. randomly assign points to the ability columns,
  2. use the points to generate the abilities
  3. assign any points left over (from insufficient totals to increase a high abilities) as bumps to the lowest abilities

The dice rollers can then go mad using it to generate randomized character types.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

If they wanted to please the dice-rolling crowd, they could randomly generate stats that always add up to the same point total.

But this eliminates the sheer thrill of rolling a point total that far surpasses necessity for almost any build.  :wowey:

But this eliminates the sheer thrill of rolling a point total that far surpasses necessity for almost any build.  :wowey:

You're clearly ignoring the necessity of your character's being devoid of flaw/weakness, u_u...

There are only two ratings for any and all character-related numerical values in the game:

1) The best.

2) Bad.

Duh... 8)

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

You're clearly ignoring the necessity of your character's being devoid of flaw/weakness, u_u...

There are only two ratings for any and all character-related numerical values in the game:

1) The best.

2) Bad.

Duh... 8)

My heart still jumps when I see several numbers between 14 and 18 in rapid succession.  :w00t:

• Like 2

My heart still jumps when I see several numbers between 14 and 18 in rapid succession.  :w00t:

And then God said "Let there be gambling!" 8)

• Like 1