Godzilla 2014

Bryy

That does look excellent, and its a movie to watch in 3D :w00t:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I haven't seen a 3D movie yet that I didn't enjoy more in 2D.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

mmmm...smoke some weed, watch a movie in 3D and then tell me the experience wasn't better than 2D :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

mmmm...smoke some weed, watch a movie in 3D and then tell me the experience wasn't better than 2D  :)

What is it that makes it better? The barely noticable depth effect that doesn't actually register to your eyes and brain anymore after 5 minutes of film, the eyestrain from forcing your eyes into perfect focus for every second of the film, the higher chance of motion sickness, or the complete loss of color and contrast in the image? While I don't partake (I know, so unexpected from a dutch person) I highly doubt even weed can make this better.

Edited by TrueNeutral

mmmm...smoke some weed, watch a movie in 3D and then tell me the experience wasn't better than 2D  :)

What is it that makes it better? The barely noticable depth effect that doesn't actually register to your eyes and brain anymore after 5 minutes of film, the eyestrain from forcing your eyes into perfect focus for every second of the film, the higher chance of motion sickness, or the complete loss of color and contrast in the image? While I don't partake (I know, so unexpected from a dutch person) I highly doubt even weed can make this better.

For me 3D offers a much more immersive viewing experience, I haven't noticed those negative  things you mentioned. You get your 3D glasses and you sit down and the movie literally comes to life. I watched Hobbit 2 on 3D and it was epic, I still noticed the 3D effects the whole way through the movie

What you do mean you don't partake, you are Dutch !!! I heard that weed smoking is something they teach you guys at school there is a tick-box when you apply for Dutch citizenship that's says " Do you smoke weed", failure to say "yes" means automatic disqualification .... :blink:  

John Milton 

The Hobbit 2 was a rare example of 3D adding to the experience, which I mostly attribute to it showing in 48fps and 4k resolution - the eye strain was significantly reduced. Other than that, it still suffered from problems. The Smaug sequences were practically monochromatic and I found the 3D broke immersion more often than it aided it - Peter Jackson's sweeping camera pans tend to mess with the effect and I'm immediately aware of how my eyes are reacting to 3D glasses and taken out of the story. The Hobbit 2 was one of the better executions of 3D, the only one that worked decently since Avatar. A lot of people say Gravity also did it extremely well, personally I disagree, that film gave me motion sickness up the wazoo when watched in 3D and I actually had to walk out - I loved it when I saw it in 2D however.

As for why I don't partake, my grandfather when he was alive grew it in the back of his yard and sold it to people (shush, don't tell anyone). Nobody who ever came there to buy it was ever anything else than a deadbeat and most of them were also addicted to speed or meth. It burned me on the whole thing from a young age. I know correlation is not causation, but I'm never going to take that chance.

I got around to watching that Godzilla trailer now and it looks amazing. Super excited about it, though the shot of the statue or liberty made me think of Cloverfield.

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 1

A lot of people say Gravity also did it extremely well, personally I disagree, that film gave me motion sickness up the wazoo when watched in 3D and I actually had to walk out - I loved it when I saw it in 2D however.

That's an example of 3D done well, actually. Especially when it shows a place that has no natural horizon for your brain to adjust to, making it go "****, ABANDON SHIP, ABANDON SHIP." :p

I liked the trailer as well. Bryan Cranston is good.

As for why I don't partake, my grandfather when he was alive grew it in the back of his yard and sold it to people (shush, don't tell anyone). Nobody who ever came there to buy it was ever anything else than a deadbeat and most of them were also addicted to speed or meth. It burned me on the whole thing from a young age. I know correlation is not causation, but I'm never going to take that chance.

Valid reason, I completely understand :)

John Milton 

A lot of people say Gravity also did it extremely well, personally I disagree, that film gave me motion sickness up the wazoo when watched in 3D and I actually had to walk out - I loved it when I saw it in 2D however.

That's an example of 3D done well, actually. Especially when it shows a place that has no natural horizon for your brain to adjust to, making it go "****, ABANDON SHIP, ABANDON SHIP." :p

I suppose you could see that as 3D done well. I couldn't watch it, however, which I assume is counterproductive when it comes to film.

I also watched Prometheus and Life of Pi in 3D and I enjoyed the 3D effects in both. But I admit I don't scrutinize moves too much so I may have missed something?

John Milton 

I still can't take movies seriously or enjoy them where the military uses completely illogical tactics against giant animals that stomp cities to ash just to make them appear dangerous. I mean, has any of the directors of such movies ever heard of guided nuclear bunker busters?  

Drop one onto the forehead of that giant toad and its toast before anyone has to skip lunch. 

Here you go. 

• Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I still can't take movies seriously or enjoy them where the military uses completely illogical tactics against giant animals that stomp cities to ash just to make them appear dangerous. I mean, has any of the directors of such movies ever heard of guided nuclear bunker busters?  

Drop one onto the forehead of that giant toad and its toast before anyone has to skip lunch. 

Here you go. 

:lol:  Oh your post made me laugh. Funniest post of the week for me :lol:

John Milton 

Hum, bullhorns mixed with the soundtrack of 2001? mmm'kay....

I hope film ends with the main hero summoning Mothra, which successfully defeats Godzilla because he has the heart of a true warrior. All explained in a 30 minute exposition in Japanese. In other way would be true fail and "no-see" for me.

Edited by Meshugger
  • Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Godzilla. The nmost overrated monster movie ever. Rather sad that the best version is the most maligned ones.  The original was okay but tis sequels were hilarious sillyc rap that at best were  so bad so good kindaway. L0L

This new one looks meh but has potential.

As for 3D debate.. I'm pro 3D.  I'm anti Gravity. That movie looks like crap. Best of 3D imo was done in Gatsby and I've been told Titanic Remix was done very well too.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The teaser trailer -
+3 for the the paratroopers and their flares. I don't care if it's ludicrous, it's just viscerally kewl with all the smoke and red trailers and cloth-flapping noises and such.
-2 for the animated giant reptile that yet again instantly made me think of the T-Rex in Jurassic Park. Even the screech-roar noise. Can they create a new giant-reptile noise, please?

The main trailer -
+3 for Ken Watanabe
+1 for Bryan Cranston
-2 for the Inception "bwwaaaaaa" horns

Overall impression - I'm not a big Godzilla fan but looks like it could be a decent mindless-fun summer action-monster movie. It's also yet another movie where I really wish Roger Ebert was still around to comment on it.

3D - don't care.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The teaser trailer -

+3 for the the paratroopers and their flares. I don't care if it's ludicrous, it's just viscerally kewl with all the smoke and red trailers and cloth-flapping noises and such.

-2 for the animated giant reptile that yet again instantly made me think of the T-Rex in Jurassic Park. Even the screech-roar noise. Can they create a new giant-reptile noise, please?

The main trailer -

+3 for Ken Watanabe

+1 for Bryan Cranston

-2 for the Inception "bwwaaaaaa" horns

Overall impression - I'm not a big Godzilla fan but looks like it could be a decent mindless-fun summer action-monster movie. It's also yet another movie where I really wish Roger Ebert was still around to comment on it.

3D - don't care.

LadyC have you seen that new movie "Catzilla", it is basically about this giant cat that runs amok in New York and sheds huge fur-balls that seriously impact traffic and   drinks all the milk from all the diaries in the state. I think you'll enjoy it ;)  

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Does it have William Shatner in it? I would pay a lot of money to see William Shatner in something called Catzilla!

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm pretty sure that's the original Godzilla noise, making Godzilla literally the only thing that should be allowed to use it.

EDIT:

79750_large.jpg

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 1

I still can't get over the fact that they completely copied the soundtrack from 2001, note by note: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhwWAciO6F4

They should've used this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufh7VyeV8OI instead, which actually conceptualizes the themes of the movie.

I mean, the chorus is just perfect: Bio-Tech, Bio-Tech, Bio-Tech....is GODZILLA!! RrraaaaAAAAAwwr!!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy