Pictures of your games Part 4

LadyCrimson

I gave up on it quickly. Its very pretty but very shallow.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Well, inspired by a tip by Keyrock, I pre-ordered this adventure game, and I've just begun snooping around. I loved watching Kojak, Baretta and Columbo in the 70s, so getting to be a future PI in the year 2050 is a dream come true! :) And as I'm playing Shadowrun atm, this is like a feature film of that setting.

pxup.jpg

It's very pretty, with nice acting and fun writing so far. You can click and interact with a lot of things:

fopz.jpg

I haven't played any Tex Murphy-games before, so it's a pleasant surprise.

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Good ol' Tex Murphy.  Once I finish up Child of Light I'm thinking about jumping in, though part of me feels lik doing a Tex-o-thon and playing through Under a Killing Moon, The Pandora Directive, and Overseer first.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I've played for like three hours more now, and I am thoroughly enjoying myself! :)

As far as adventure games go, this is pretty hard to beat. It's like one of the absolutely best Holodeck episodes on Star Trek, but longer and fully interactive, with plenty of dialogue chices and easter eggs, and all that for the same price as like two tickets to the cinema. Wow, just wow!!

uvsc.jpg

Well, it wouldn't be a detective story without a murder, wouldn't it? Let's say some puzzles pushes my memory to the max, though.

xp4x.jpg

As a personal thank you from me to Keyrock for his tip about it, here's a llama hotel straight out of Tex Murphy! :)

79ah7.jpg

Just one example of the badda-dish humour that at least I appreciate a lot in this kind of setting.

4sba.jpg

Some stuff gets at least a little bit creepy... This straw baby was rocking to the tune of some Psycho movie, I kid you not.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I've played a few more hours, and I certainly take my time, typical of a nosy completionist like me! :)

The entertainment factor is quite high, and the giggles are aplenty. Also, the dialogue system is something new for me (perhaps they are not new at all to previous instalments of Tex Murphy), and I really like it. You are presented with three response themes, and they are pretty weird mood-and-attitude pointers only. Then when you've picked your line, you say something reflecting that mood-and-attitude choice you just made. This makes the RPG aspect of the game much stronger, since this choice typically pops up when you first meet a person or when the stakes are high in the convo. I mean, we aren't that good at delivering well-balanced sentences free of insults and nervous jokes when the heat is on socially. It's also very fun to see what you happen to say. It's like "Oops! I went too far there."  

82dt.jpg

In this game, golf seems to be a full-contact sport!

0f9p.jpg

This book of dummies shouldn't be in people's homes at all. It shouldn't even be sold.

dg4x.jpg

Yet another example of the absurd humour in Tesla Effect. This is the kind of grill bar joint you wish you just had passed.

• Like 2

The different responses you have as Tex have always been great.  It usually comes down to either playing it straight, being a smartass, being confrontational, or trying to be a smooth operator.  It's a little bit like Alpha Protocol, in that respect.  Figuring out what resonates with certain people, and falling flat on your face in the process, is great fun.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I haven't played Alpha Protocol yet. Now, you've whet my appetite for yet another game, and by Obsidian no less! :w00t:

As for Tex, I genuinely try to pick the answers I reckon fit the Tex-version I'm navigating through all the absuridites, but it's pretty darn hard. And seeing that "Soup Nazi"-actor from Seinfeld certainly makes my Tex really shaky. I'm just waiting for a "No soup for you!" and then a "game over"-sign.

out of combat Alpha Protocol is great. it would've benefited greatly if it had been made more like an RPG and less like a stealth shooter. in combat it's somewhat reminiscent of the latest Deus Ex game, they both suck in this department, but AP - even more so. actually, sometimes I think AP was the game that inspired DX: HR creators in a lot of ways. 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

looks like a lot of fun, what game is that?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

oh, didn't realize it was out already. looks fun on pictures, wonder how it looks in motion. time to hit YouTube

Walsingham said:

Yea, the reviews were pretty grim, it seems. I began watching this playthrough video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxteKis4sPk

It looks, feels and sounds very MMO-y, and it seems to fall short in graphics. Kingdoms of Amalur looks better IMHO (although that is slightly less gritty, of course). But the fighting in BbF looks sluggish and almost in slomo, which is pretty bizarre. And it seems to be made for controllers. A funny thing, though, the pc kicks the chests to get them to open. :w00t:

This is something I wouldn't buy.

^That person doesn't play the game very well.

I love the female protagonist, despite the hammy voice-over (still better than Jennifer Hale though) she's hilariously badass.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

holy crap, that looks so bad... animations are awful, and there's a disconnect between them and what actually happens to characters. this game needs more polish

Walsingham said:

^ Thank you Dark Souls, for making action RPG combat like drunk sumo wrestling in mud, Warhammer 40K for rampant steroid abuse among PC's and the new shooter generation for their ****ty brown and gunmetal grey world.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I've played a few hours of it on the PS4, because there aren't any other RPGs on the PS4 at this time and am enjoying it decently.  While the graphics aren't cutting edge, they're solid enough.  The voice-overs have been a little long in the teeth, but the music has been great.  The combat has weight to it, not reactionary weight to your enemies which kind of sucks, but it has weight.  I liked Kingdoms of Amaluar, but the combat was a little too arcadey.  So far, it's been good, not great, not horrible as some reviewers have claimed it to be, but just good and solid for what it's trying to do.  

I wish reviewers, would stop comparing game A to game B all the time, especially those with a smaller budget compared to a multi-million dollar budget.  Of course game A is going to be more polished and should, in theory, be a better game if it cost $50 million to make as compared to this game. Broken argument in my opinion.

• Like 2

I've played a few hours of it on the PS4, because there aren't any other RPGs on the PS4 at this time and am enjoying it decently.  While the graphics aren't cutting edge, they're solid enough.  The voice-overs have been a little long in the teeth, but the music has been great.  The combat has weight to it, not reactionary weight to your enemies which kind of sucks, but it has weight.  I liked Kingdoms of Amaluar, but the combat was a little too arcadey.  So far, it's been good, not great, not horrible as some reviewers have claimed it to be, but just good and solid for what it's trying to do.  

I wish reviewers, would stop comparing game A to game B all the time, especially those with a smaller budget compared to a multi-million dollar budget.  Of course game A is going to be more polished and should, in theory, be a better game if it cost $50 million to make as compared to this game. Broken argument in my opinion.

Sure, but the publishers of those with a bigger budget pay them more... :devil:

Anyway, looks like it might be worth picking up in a sale sometime.

For all my complaining about Long War yesterday, it's still super cool to see a game get revamped like this. A great new feature is the colour-coded class names, and the armour colour actually automatically changes to match the class colour, which is fantastic.

P.S. Super handy namelist generator here. Type or paste in a bunch of plain text names and it'll spit out a DefaultNameList.ini file for you to download. Place this file in your install folder (Steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\XComGame\Config) and make merry. Would be fun to plug in the Obsidian member list for example.

dvLBzFr.jpg

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

did you name them? :lol:

Walsingham said:

Plugged in names from an MMO guild I used to be part of as proof of concept, a few hundred names into the generator (see the edit to the above post) and pulled these out of that pool randomly.

Edited by Humanoid
  • Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G