Pictures of your games Part 4

LadyCrimson

Last time I played Stalker-Pripyat - over 2 years ago. Today: "Dang it, I'm going to play, get off this boat, learn the game more and do some questing!"

*wanders around, can't remember what I was doing, why I have so many guns in my inventory, who to talk to, where to go, what the controls are, so lost....*

"Think I'll make some dinner instead."

...I'm so pathetic. But I love the way the game looks, the weather, lighting, atmosphere. Dang it, I'm going to play this game yet. After dinner.

StalkerP-00004.jpg

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

"But the worst thing of all are their antitank missiles, and these missiles work all too well." The younger man gestured with his hands. "Three men in a wheeled vehicle. One driver, one loader, one gunner. They hide behind a tree at a turn in the road and wait. Our column comes into view and they fire from a range of - say two kilometers. As often as not the first warning we have is when the first weapon hits. They fire one more and kill another tank, then race away before we can call down artillery fire. Five minutes later, from another spot, it happens again."

-Tom Clancy and Larry Bond, Red Storm Rising

Trying out a new scenario in Steel Beasts and I now have a new favourite steed.

qjDzCCE.jpg

...a humble Humvee, with a TOW missile launcher mounted on top.

It dies to a sneeze, the launcher isn't stabilised, and you have to stand still while the missile is in flight. But it's nimble, the TIS of the launcher is still a cut above most non-NATO developments, and the TOW 2B (2B, or not 2B, that is the question) series with its top-attack explosively-formed penetrator can render many protection measures irrelevant, meaning over open ground I can keep armour at arm's length, as this unfortunate T-90 discovered:

V2tv2GS.jpg

7iLCmIq.jpg

Izegvl9.jpg

(Green line indicates the path of the EFP that was fired downwards from the missile)

r961ZSw.jpg

*Boosh*! And/or *Ka-kow!*

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Last time I played Stalker-Pripyat - over 2 years ago. Today: "Dang it, I'm going to play, get off this boat, learn the game more and do some questing!"

*wanders around, can't remember what I was doing, why I have so many guns in my inventory, who to talk to, where to go, what the controls are, so lost....*

"Think I'll make some dinner instead."

...I'm so pathetic. But I love the way the game looks, the weather, lighting, atmosphere. Dang it, I'm going to play this game yet. After dinner.

StalkerP-00004.jpg

Whenever I don't play a game for THAT long and come back to it, I just start over.  Call of Prypiat is such a great game.  I tried playing it recently-ish with the Misery 2.0 mod, but I gave up on that.  While I like certain aspects of the mod, it completely ruins the game in other aspects.  I'm all for making the game even more ruthlessly challenging, but some of the changes are just plain ridiculous.  The rate at which items wear is insane.  The toughness of some enemies is insane.  I mean, I don't care what kind of helmet they are wearing, no human should ever survive 3 headshots from a SVD.  That's ridiculous.  Then there is the part where I'm at the very edge of my range with the SVD, where I can just barely even see enemies through my scope on my SVD and they are somehow hitting me with almost perfect accuracy with assault rifles at that distance.  Gah.  I'm going to play the game again soon, but this time only with maybe the Atmosfear 3 mod. 

Edit:  As an aside, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games are in many ways a lot more role playing than most RPGs.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Whenever I don't play a game for THAT long and come back to it, I just start over.

Typically I would too, only since I hadn't gotten very far at all (seriously) I figured this time I'd try just continuing. I think I'm going to still have to go with complete restart, tho. I think I found the early challenge good enough for me. Could change my mind, but I like playing vanilla first, best. I wouldn't mind a somewhat bigger inventory mod, tho...like I almost always want. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

"Psionic Youth"  :lol:

Yeah, I got a kick out of that play on Sonic Youth too.  :)

The Secret World slips in a few fun references like that, and nice and subtle, they don't clobber you over the head with them.  It's too bad the mechanics of the game are so crappy and the combat so dreadfully boring, because the writing is fantastic, light years better than any other MMO I've ever played (granted, that's not all that many), and better than the vast majority of single player games.  

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Globetrotting with George and Nico.  Good times.

Bto2JN1.jpg

o1NKgD8.jpg

I hear you, gramps.  I like a fairly firm mattress too.

fAWArz6.jpg

Nico schmoozing up that dirtbag Laine.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I'm still of the opinion that BL1 plays better as a single-player experience than BL2, while BL2 is a lot more fun with at least one other person. I could replay BL1 solo, with new characters, repeatedly...BL2, not so much.

Well i plan to play both games SP with that memory hack that makes it think like it's 4 players playing, thus making it more difficult ( but given that you get more experience it might somehow even out). And then i'll be able to judge properly. I think :lol: .

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Heh. It's not the difficulty increase that makes BL2 better co-op. BL1's co-op just felt like...single-player with another person along. BL2 feels more complimentary and exciting for working together.

The Secret World slips in a few fun references like that, and nice and subtle, they don't clobber you over the head with them.  It's too bad the mechanics of the game are so crappy and the combat so dreadfully boring, because the writing is fantastic, light years better than any other MMO I've ever played (granted, that's not all that many), and better than the vast majority of single player games.  

TSW is such a disappointment in that way... The world and the writing want so desperately to suck me in, but it's just not fun to play. In addition to that though, I find the player models off-puttingly bad. The faces have this creepy, deformed, weird quality to them. And the combat animations are awful. 

9 years old and still looks fantastic...  outside of the jarringly low res cutscenes, that is.

plELfsr.jpg

ptU6Jv5.jpg

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸