how big is game map?

I would love to know how big the map will be in relation to baldurs gate 1/2 and expansions.

I have played all of the games in this area amd would love a vast world with loads and loads of location. One of the only downers for me playing any of the games in the past was my world map size expectation.

Over the last few years i have been playing more and more open world style games and is a key feature for me.

Examples.

Fallout 3/4

Oblivion and skyrim.

Xenonauts.

Zomboid.

Arma games.

You get the picture.

I grew up on baldurs gate and all the spin offs and hope beyond hope this is the 2014 awards game of the year for rpg's. And hope i have thousands of locations to explore.

Looking forward to this game 100%

Thousands of locations!? A little demanding for a Kickstarter game don't you think?

Well, maybe... if each new map regardless of its size counts as a new location for you then perhaps we might get close. Example: Main street of Deviance Bay--->(Loading Screen)---->Inside of shop

• Like 1

The second Elder Scrolls game, Daggerfall, was a game with thousands upon thousands of locations. The problem with this was that those locations were all carbon copies of one another and extremely boring. 

A game without an unlimited budget, and without unlimited amounts of production time, must ultimately choose to what extent they want to sacrifice quantity for quality or vice versa. I prefer they err on the side of quality. I'll take a few highly memorable and entertaining locations over lots and lots of dull locations any day. 

• Like 4

The elder scrolls and fallout 3 are pretty much randomly/procedurally maps then they go back in and just add points of interest manually. You can't really do that well in a game like PE where each environment and room needs to be hand drawn. I'd rather have a smaller game with unique ares than say Daggerfall as Death Machine Miyagi mentioned or Dragon Age 2's awful recycling of the same bland hallways and alleys.

K is for Kid, a guy or gal just like you. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

I would love to know how big the map will be in relation to baldurs gate 1/2 and expansions.

I have played all of the games in this area amd would love a vast world with loads and loads of location. One of the only downers for me playing any of the games in the past was my world map size expectation.

Over the last few years i have been playing more and more open world style games and is a key feature for me.

Examples.

Fallout 3/4

When did you play Fallout 4? How big is its world? How does it compare to New Vegas? Is it MIT like everybody expects? How bad is its writing, on a scale from Bad to Worst? Are milk-filled androids a playable race?

The elder scrolls and fallout 3 are pretty much randomly/procedurally maps then they go back in and just add points of interest manually. You can't really do that well in a game like PE where each environment and room needs to be hand drawn. I'd rather have a smaller game with unique ares than say Daggerfall as Death Machine Miyagi mentioned or Dragon Age 2's awful recycling of the same bland hallways and alleys.

If they were randomly/procedurally generated terrain heightmaps then the chances that Oblivion's Cyrodiil or F3's DC metro area even remotely resembled the Tamriel map and reality, respectively, would be astronomically small. And yet they do closely mimic the established TES map of Tamriel and (simplified though it may be) geography of the D.C./Maryland area. I'll leave the logic to the readers, because I have faith in humanity.

Edited by AGX-17

I think it depends on the size/resolution of your monitor, and/or how many times it's folded (if you're talking about the cloth/physical map). 8)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

When did you play Fallout 4? How big is its world? How does it compare to New Vegas? Is it MIT like everybody expects? How bad is its writing, on a scale from Bad to Worst? Are milk-filled androids a playable race?

Not playable, but you can milk 'em once you encounter 'em ;)

It's a consumable...

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Fallout for is newvegas for me

Soooo... Fallout 4 will be Fallout 5 for you?

Actually it was Tactics the real Fallout 3, whiler 3 being 4, New Vegas being 5 and the upcoming 4 being 6. Seems legit :disguise:

Damn, I forgot about that console spin-off!

Edited by Messier-31
  • Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Oblivion's wilderness and dungeons were procedurally generated but the rest of TES games and FO3 were not.

No one liked Oblivion's lack luster wilderness and samey dungeons so they went back to manually crafting the world in FO3 and Skyrim.

Oblivion's wilderness and dungeons were procedurally generated but the rest of TES games and FO3 were not.

No one liked Oblivion's lack luster wilderness and samey dungeons so they went back to manually crafting the world in FO3 and Skyrim.

A logically false claim, since it only takes one exception to disprove. (Myself, for example.) FO3 was based on a real-world setting, so that is not really a good comparison. Finally, I can't really say I preferred the terrain in Skyrim to that in Oblivion.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

The World size matters to me but the whole world doesn't have to be in the 1st game.  Elder Scrolls I find puts so much consistent history and lore into each zone /region , a player feels like they are still on the same world though they may be in Skyrim and not Morrowind.  

Long post sorry.  What I'd love to see is an area, well thought out and alive.  Perhaps mention of other lands in game.  Legends of monsters in far off places.  Then when the next game comes out, the Player has an opportunity to see for themselves what was talked or written about in a past game.

For me this is what Bethesda does so well.  Hate the party system, hate the character faces. Who in RL runs with their 2 hands out front all the time? LOL.  But OMG I love the books and in game stories.