Update #71: The Heavy Hitters: Rogues and Rangers

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Ranger concept sounds great, and I really like how the Rogue has that certain hint of brutality now. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I know! I never let my main character be a Rogue before because they always seemed too wimpy. But now, I just might.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

The Ranger concept sounds great, and I really like how the Rogue has that certain hint of brutality now. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I know! I never let my main character be a Rogue before because they always seemed too wimpy. But now, I just might.

I also like the differentiation from a simple thief. I mean, the term rogue covers a pretty large segment of characters, so why limit yourself to a worn archetype, right?

• Like 2

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There,

I have read this thread partly and sorry if somebody else already asked this question, but can you pleae shed some lights on the 'Stealth' mechanic more? How does it work and how rogues and other classes who rely on stealth use stealth for their benefits? Are there different specs or modes of gameplay which implenet Stealth differently? And how dependant rogues are on their stealth abilities? And are there any 'Stealth Only' abilities which can not be used out of Stealth? I have many more questions regarding the stealthiers but for now I would appreciate if anyone with enough knowledge could clarify these for me.

Cheers,

Silenceborn

Hi There,

I have read this thread partly and sorry if somebody else already asked this question, but can you pleae shed some lights on the 'Stealth' mechanic more? How does it work and how rogues and other classes who rely on stealth use stealth for their benefits? Are there different specs or modes of gameplay which implenet Stealth differently? And how dependant rogues are on their stealth abilities? And are there any 'Stealth Only' abilities which can not be used out of Stealth? I have many more questions regarding the stealthiers but for now I would appreciate if anyone with enough knowledge could clarify these for me.

Cheers,

Silenceborn

Discussed pretty heavily here.  Rogues are not dependent on stealth at all.  It's an out of combat skill that all party members can take.  Rogues rely on quickly moving around the battlefield, disengaging, and backstabs.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64979-josh-sawyer-talks-about-stealth-mechanics/?hl=stealth

Edited by anameforobsidian

• 3 weeks later...

I love this update so much. Rangers are my favorite class, and this game won't be an exception! I love most abilities center around ranged combat (for a ranger? who knew?) and animal companions.

I love how we'll be powerful ranged attackers too. After how terribly archery worked in the NWN series, I was afraid archery would be weak here too. I know people need incentive to play melee fighters since IE games have powerful archery and spells, but not at the cost of archery being a viable combat method...

I also love how the animal companion has so many gameplay bonds with the ranger. It seems the option to interact with it like the NWN1 animal companions won't be an option, but there are so many other in-game mechanics that make them feel closer! I love how we have so many abilities that let us work with our animal companions, how we share health pools, etc. They won't just be a glorified animal summon like in NWN2.

Thank you so much for taking the basic concept of a cRPG ranger (a woodsman and ranged hunter with an animal companion) and making it so fantastic!

Edited by Faerunner

"Not I, though. Not I," said the hanging dwarf.

• 2 months later...

Coordinated Positioning

Coordinated Positioning sound a powerful ability, but not very logical. How will you design the animation to show it ?

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget