New stretch goals for companions and wilderness areas?

Stretch Goals?  

2052 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like Obsidian to release new stretch goals to go along with the opening of the Backer Portal?

• I would love new stretch goals.
    • No, I would prefer if Obsidian did not introduce new stretch goals.

As a "no" voter, I'm glad that, ultimately, you decided against the addition of new stretch goals; now you can march onward to your goal with much more clarity, I suppose :)

"The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance" - Wing Commander IV

As part of the majority that voted yes I can only say... WTF!!!!!!!! I've been "teased" before, but usually I'd be buying you drinks beforehand. That just came out of nowhere. Can we at least get DLC/expansions that contain the elements you wanted to stretch goal?? Problem then is, that none of it is build into the main game and can't be used to fill it out. Companions can, at least, be somewhat added in, but wilderness areas need to be a part of the base game.

I kind of understand, but again, you guys brought up the idea. We WANT to give you guys more money if you're willing to flesh the game out even more. I feel cheated, kinda... Not that I'm "entitled" to any of it, god forbid, but having more Obsidian goodness in this game is just very appealing.

Is there some other halfway measure you guys are taking to satisfy the 77% that wanted to pour money on you?

Having just been on the other side of not getting to romantically hump all the companions,

now its time to "win" by not getting stretch goals either. Sorta hooray.

But seriously, I didn't just want the game on my hands sooner, I truly feel a smaller packet

with less, more polished content (which I hope will be the result) will make for a better game.

And while I'm happy to get my way in this (though I'd rather had had my way with an earth godlike companion),

it sucks this also means lots of others don't get what they want and think would have made a better game.

And I do value the opinions of (many of) the ones on the other side and it's possible you were right, we'll never know.

Chin up everybody, it'll be a great game and it'll be on our hands in about a years time, give or take.

I'm satisfied with the decision developers have taken. I prefer not to expand this game and play it at good quality soon, and continue to play more hours in next expansions (not only one) in the future.

I prefer to play smaller games with several expansions, rather than one only big size game like BG2.

Enh. Not too bothered by the decision, to be honest. Game's going to be plenty big as it is, clearly, and scope creep has been a problem on plenty of Obsidian projects. It would have been nice to have one companion of every class and some extra wilderness areas, I suppose, but it's not like PoE will be a failure without those features, any more than a car without spinning rims is a failure.

The results of the poll in this thread were predictable, to an extent; if I say I'm going to buy you a certain amount of ice cream in two years, and then I ask after one year if you'd like more ice cream than I originally promised, why wouldn't you say yes? All you have at that moment is the promise of future ice cream.

What's more important is that those of us who cast a vote in the affirmative for more stretch goals presumably did so under the assumption that Obsidian would be able to deliver on them. If they no longer feel that way, we should trust their judgment.

Yessss. No new strechgoals. Now the original plans for the game can reach completion without EVER having been altered or tweaked in the slightest.

If only they had just ended the Kickstarter when they hit their goal, instead of accepting money for the following three weeks, we wouldn't be dealing with all these current stretchgoals and all the delay they've brought.

Really, if they'd only set their funding goal at, say, $50,000, we'd've had the game in Q4 of 2012. Who the hell do the developers think they are? Deciding to put more as opposed to less stuff in their game, for obviously no reason at all. u_u...

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

For the complainers, remember we are probably getting an expansion. So douse your fiery breath and understand this will just give them more time to polish up and implement the many stretch goals we already won.

Saving the extras for expansion packs/sequels will let Obsidian get a handle on QA, so I'm OK with their decision.  If QA is less than robust, however, I'll be amongst the first backers asking, "What the heck happened?".  Break out the buffing compound and elbow grease, ladies and gentlemen!

Edited by Tsuga C

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

As much as I'd've liked a companion for each class, I'm sure they made their decision with all due consideration.

Let's play the main game and hope it's successful enough for the expansion to include those extra companions/areas/etc.

And echoing Labadal - time to unsticky this.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

TBH, I'm pretty freaking excited for its release this winter. However, I am also not opposed to a subscription-based format to enjoy this game for many years to come. 

Ahh... We are all heroes; you and Boo and I. Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!

• 3 weeks later...

The wilderness area's for me, in old IE games, were what got me fascinated by the game. I was young, and just got lost in what I was doing or where I was going. But I liked it. I could grind, or explore, and when I would rest there was always a chance of animals waking me up, I really enjoyed that, and the exploring made it seem so much more magical and mysterious. Every so often bumping into something relevant to some quest somewhere some how too. Loved it. Want it again!

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

• 6 months later...

..by the looks of it, we will not even get it this winter. Its less then 24 hours from newyears, and the last beta that came out was still a ways off from being close to release. At the point of its functionality for say, wasteland two, its like comparing a beta from march to what was needed to release in september. I think Pillars of Eternity should work on Polish and bugs and release sometime in the late summer or fall by the looks of the bugs stacking up. In the beta, the game is still relatively broken, from my experience. 

But on a side note, the game does appear to be very large, and I expect it to take 60+ hours to finish for those who are non-completists, and for those who are, well... probably like 100 hours. If you know what you are doing and go straight for the ending, apparently the game is like 40 hours long.  So theres tons to work on. In the beta we have like what.... 5% of the games quests maybe, and like 25% of the content available, minus any story driven elements, which it spoils none AFAIK.

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...