New stretch goals for companions and wilderness areas?

Stretch Goals?  

2052 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like Obsidian to release new stretch goals to go along with the opening of the Backer Portal?

• I would love new stretch goals.
    • No, I would prefer if Obsidian did not introduce new stretch goals.

Interesting, thanks coffeetable, now I'm a bit more optimistic about the possibility of adding more stuff at this point of development, although I'll keep my "no" vote :) (just being cautious :D)

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

"The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance" - Wing Commander IV

IMO stretch goals are good, and I'd like to see new companions/more wilderness area's.

However I wouldn't want it to affect the planned release date or push the game back further.

Are the stretch goals intended to be done before release or a post-launch content patch?

Did they really think the results would favor no?  They're basically asking do you want free stuff....

Honestly, I'd be most interested in new classes (a special animancer or necromancer class, or a swashbuckler class with high single-target deflection and lots of mobility), but that ain't happening.  Obviously more areas (valia, although that sounds more like the setting for another game), more races, class specific quests, more spells, spell combinations (good lord spell combinations), crazy epic fmvs for top spells, more animal companions, greater and weirder cosmology, all that would be welcome.

But don't stress too hard.  If they do include stretchgoals I don't think it would be a bad idea to keep them at twice the gap that previous stretchgoals were at, something like $250k a piece.

I think it might be interesting to see what kind of content everyone wants.  So, what does everyone want?

Edited by anameforobsidian

I don't see any harm in having stretch goals, if backers are going to buy extras or new backers take an interest after seeing the trailer then it doesn't hurt to have goals for further development. If we hit them then it's awesome and we get shiny new toys, if not then we get what we originally expected (which after the trailer I'm really pumped about).

On a side note I haven't browsed the forums in a while but how many companions and how large a wilderness is already planned for Pillars of Eternity?

• Like 1

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." - Friedrich Nietzsche

I don't think the real question should be IF we want more stretch goals but HOW adding new stretch goals would inflluence the game development at this point. Who could be against more companions or quests? But how much additional time willl be needed to add that content without damaging the quality of the things that had to be in the game in the first place? Would we had to wait 1 more month? Or 3 more?

• Like 1

I voted "For". But I'd like to clarify - I do not want:

- stuff to be brought forward from any future expansion(s), this might compromise integrity of the narrative

- micro-DLCs

- hats

- "Horse Armour"

I would like stretch goals:

- An interesting extra character that does not fit the mould (e.g. Golem or Dire Bear or an "Undead")

- Let's dig deeper in the Endless Paths of Od-Nua - we have delved 15 levels deep, but as a stretch goal, I would happily support digging all the way to the toes!

- Additional, self-contained, wilderness areas that have no bearing on the main story, but flesh out some aspect of the world history

- Interactive history encyclopaedia - e.g. you are writing a World Almanac - how about bringing this with some "interactivity" into the game?

• Like 8

Ditto on the chainmail bikini.  I really want more stretch goals just to be able to back the project for the first time, and hopefully make the game as big as BG2 with some of my money used to patch issues that have jumped into production.

Stretch Goals

-Chris Avellone really plays Arcanum whilst reading a walkthrough and cursing Tim Cain

-More Outdoor areas

-Chainmail bikini

-Better enemy AI

-Extra balancing (i.e. Obsidian plays their game before we do)

• Like 2

For me the question is (and an answer would be greatly appreciated), how does the planned content of PoE compare to BG2:SoA in terms of size and quality?

Are there roughly the same amount of areas? Similar amount of quests? Similar amount of npcs? Similar depth, complexity and quality for each of those?

If PoE is already on target to being that big, then personally I don't see a real need for more content. In that case, I think polishing the game should take priority.

I'm hoping for PoE to be similar to BG2, even if it means delaying the release.

If there's time for the team to add more polished content, then I'm all for it. A couple more npcs are always welcome, and I really like Azmodan's suggestion, "Additional, self-contained, wilderness areas that have no bearing on the main story, but flesh out some aspect of the world history," perhaps via some minor-medium sized quests.

Having said all that, I voted yes as I missed backing this project.

• Like 1

Sounds like 'If we get enough more money from pledges in the Backer site, we can do more stuff - want?

I voted 'yes' - based on that quoted interview it sounds like a slight delay for a worthwhile addition.

A couple more companions to fill classes means you can try the class combinations you like while still having reactive companions (obviously the Adventurer's Hall (I nearly said 'Mart' :lol: ) gives more variety for classes but not the level of depth of a fully written NPC).

More wilderness areas? - I guess it depends what's in them ;)

Class-specific quests sounds cool.

To echo what others have said though:  Don't do anything you were planning for an expansion.  A TOTSC style expansion with new areas and side-story or a  TOB style expansion continuing the main story, either would suit me.

• Like 5

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Stretch Goals

-Chris Avellone really plays Arcanum whilst reading a walkthrough and cursing Tim Cain

Ok, so I voted against and I'm 100% sure about it, but that one would make me change my mind instantly :p

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.

I voted yes since I love the idea of additional stretch goals. Anything which furher enhances the depth and immersion of the game is great in my eyes.

I have always been fond of wilderness areas and I'm curious to see what they have in mind. It would be great to see some deep forest areas with a lot of exploration. A stretch goal which would further enhance the core game (animation, spell effects etc) would be welcome as well.

• Like 1

I've seen too many kickstarters go "oh we were doing fine until we got all these stretch goals now the whole thing is delayed because the scope is so different and no one knows when it will finish or if it even will or if we'll have to ask for more money" to want even more stretch goals on top of the ones there already are..

Edited by cruelio

I voted "For". But I'd like to clarify - I do not want:

- stuff to be brought forward from any future expansion(s), this might compromise integrity of the narrative

- micro-DLCs

- hats

- "Horse Armour"

I would like stretch goals:

- An interesting extra character that does not fit the mould (e.g. Golem or Dire Bear or an "Undead")

- Let's dig deeper in the Endless Paths of Od-Nua - we have delved 15 levels deep, but as a stretch goal, I would happily support digging all the way to the toes!

- Additional, self-contained, wilderness areas that have no bearing on the main story, but flesh out some aspect of the world history

- Interactive history encyclopaedia - e.g. you are writing a World Almanac - how about bringing this with some "interactivity" into the game?

I believe you have all that correct sir! More to the point I edited in bold, italics, underlined and increased in size... :blush: Please fogive a nub's first post.

• Like 2

I'd prefer a bit more funding go into animations and fx. ;) You're guy's animation budget is horrendously low, and if we're going to have a bagillion choices of play-styles, then each race and character type should really have much more variety in their animations. With the most recent update to Unity Pro they added some great additions for animations which should make your guys jobs even easier. What I noticed in the trailer as nice as everything is coming together, I can't tell Jack from Jill, nor are there anything about the characters other than their armor or weapons that's really unique. The characters are all running with the same chicken wing pose as the rat creatures in the crystal cave too. I would really prefer someone had the mindset to give the races more unique silhouettes, & make their strides longer or shorter for example. Add some randomness to their idle animations, and combat animations. These types of games are fantastic, but if it's the same rig on 8 races and classes and the monsters all run like the humans, then it's going to feel stale real quick. Please add like 3X more animations. Heck I'll help you do it if you want. You might need to seriously outsource it to some folks, and I can make some recommendations if you want.

Edited by Falkon Swiftblade
  • Like 6