IE 11 issues

kgambit

Anyone else having trouble with the obsidian forums after updating to IE 11? I had to roll back to IE10 because the quote, image, media functions were no longer working and I had to resort to using the BBCode to quote replies etc. At least one other member told me he had the same problem.

I've noticed the same thing. To paste anything in you have to switch the BBCode Mode. Which is a bit of a pain.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Major pain.  lol 

None of the editing functions worked for me.  No bold text, no color text, no italics, quotes, images etc.  Nada.  They weren't working in BBCode and they weren't working in non-BBCode mode.

Can one of the mods get the site admin to take a look at this?

Edited by kgambit

I upgraded my IE, but since I never use it... (Firefox user here). Might have to give it a try with IE. One thing I did notice was that I could kiss my desktop gadgets goodbye. It messed them up completely and they turned all pink (yes, *pink*).

There was a fix for it do download from Microsoft which basically just removes your desktop gadget service altogether.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I made a few edits today from the board software developers. You might have to clear your browser cache (Ctrl-F5) - curious to see if it's working better now?

Quoting myself, bolding and italics. Also pasting a sentence from above:  No bold text, no color text, no italics, quotes, images etc

Not here, but I know someone who was having similar types of trouble with IE10 on another forum after a forum software update. Like can't use hard returns or something. So he tried IE11 and it got even worse. They've tried updating the forum software again and it helped but small things are still broken. :)

I'd assume some versions of the forum software are having issues with IE upgrades...don't know if/when/how such will be patched.

If my friends figure anything out, I'll relate it.

(edit: - no italics was one of the little things still not working for my friends :) )

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I made a few edits today from the board software developers. You might have to clear your browser cache (Ctrl-F5) - curious to see if it's working better now?

Color, italics and bold are now working along with quotes.  Haven't checked everything else but it looks good so far.  Thanks!

Edit function working as well.  No browser cache clear necessary.

Edited by kgambit
  • Like 1

Thanks LC - I think their 'fix' is more of a hack, it just causes IE11 to emulate IE10 than to actually solve the problem. The editor that this software uses wasn't compatible with IE11 and the forum authors aren't upgrading to the new version until their next big version, but at least this should return functionality. There's no sexy IE11 features being used on the forums anyway. :)

Images are still problematic.  Getting a lot of "this image extension is not allowed" messages for jpgs, gifs and pngs - not sure why.

Using the 'image' button in the editor? Have a specific URL where that's failing? Just tried a few images in IE 11 and it was working for me:

e738a9583931048a3c4632bd634993ea-t.jpg 120px-Squirrelbutters.jpg 68b3e2142f8760f5bc29c9c881499e23.png tumblr_ku2pvuJkJG1qz9qooo1_r1_400.gif

Images are still problematic.  Getting a lot of "this image extension is not allowed" messages for jpgs, gifs and pngs - not sure why.

Using the 'image' button in the editor? Have a specific URL where that's failing? Just tried a few images in IE 11 and it was working for me:

Sent you a pm with the URLs.  :)

• 1 month later...

I am having an annoying issue in IE11. Everytime I use delete of just a single letter or a selection of words this error pops up "Line: 1412 Error: Unable to get property 'getType' of undefined or null reference". I wonder if you could nest that statement in the ips.textEditor.js inside a try-catch?

(I am afraid that the code tag doesn't work, sorry)

* IE does not remove the <cite> tag when it removes the blockquote, likely due to contentEditable being false (1407) */

if( e.data.keyCode == 46 && CKEDITOR.env.ie )

{

var selection = ev.editor.getSelection();

// Bgn..

try {

// Try..

if ( selection.getType() == CKEDITOR.SELECTION_TEXT && selection.getSelectedText() == '' ) // Error in IE11 - Line 1412 - getType

{

ranges = selection.getRanges();

if( ranges[0].getCommonAncestor(true,false).getNext().getFirst().getName() == 'cite' )

{

ranges[0].getCommonAncestor(true,false).getNext().getFirst().remove();

}

}

// Catch..

} catch (err) {}

// End..

}

(Signatures: disabled) 

Because my mouse slip in that direction at the same time as my finger twitch, I guess. It's an old habit. I think maybe there is a trail on my table that guide my mouse to that location or something or maybe I am just more comfortable using it. Haven't really thought it about that much before. Think something new came up. I don't think your question is stupid, but I feel my answer is getting closer. I also use Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Opera, but that's mostly for x-browser compatibility testing and such, but I don't really like either one of them.

(Signatures: disabled) 

Maybe a stupid question: why do you use IE11?

I asked myself the same question about a month ago. Decided that I didn't. It wasn't that it completely broke windows gadgets (I can easily live without the little weather gadget), but it broke some other applications that used explorer for file navigation and so it got tossed out again. I noticed that my workplace also adamantly refuses to let it on any corporate PC.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yeah, but in those cases they're likely using Internet Explorer ....6.

haha. Not that bad. I know some industries similar to that still using old IE versions. Fortunately, not for our industry. Our computers are automatically upgraded to the latest versions of IE at work (currently IE11). We also use the latest updates like Java an have to make sure we don't install any browser when these updates run, because other browsers won't work for the apps that we use.

Well I say that because until October last year, I was still stuck using IE6 for work... Although in the last year or so if it, they belatedly added Firefox - version 13 mind - as an alternative browser. But work-related applications still needed IE6.

Since then the desktops have migrated to Win7. Which means an upgrade of Internet Explorer .....to version 8. Yeah.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G