I need a new power supply

Tale

I've never replaced a power supply before, so wanting to know if there's anything I should look out for. One of the fans in my current 700w supply starts making noise after a couple hours of operation. And it's actually been doing that for quite a bit over a year. Once a week or so it would start making noise and only this past week it has started doing it every single day.

http://www.amazon.com/Coolmax-Dual-Fan-Power-Supply-CTI-700B/dp/B001E01DDS

This is what I've had, would it be a good idea to just buy another? The first lasted for years.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Get a big brand name like Seasonic or Corsair. If you splurge a litte you can get one that doesn't use the fan when in low power draw. This migth help. I wasn't able to get the one I wanted, not even the second choice, but you might fare better. Ended up with a Corsair.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63897-build-thread/page-2

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Was really hoping not to spend that much on a power supply. But I do need to start preparing for my next build.

Guess I should count my connectors as well, just to be safe.

Power supply is the last thing you want to save money on, its the only thing in your PC that can destroy everything in there if it goes fubar. Also 700W is way too much, unless you are using SLI or crossfire.

Seasonic and Corsair are good brands like Gorgon said, I would suggest a 500-600W PS with a 80 Plus certificate.

I agree with Deathdealer, it's what keeps your computer provided with fuel and it's responsible for electrical stability and electric noises of about every component attached, so don't ever save money on that part.

However, I disagree with the recommendation for Corsair at least on the lower end of the pricing scale. Not only are they a re-branding company (as far as PSUs are concerned), their inexpensive models also use pretty low quality parts. For reviews, I recommend jonnyguru.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Hmm, I had seen some less impressed comments about Corsair's CX series but they at least used to be a good PS maker. Need to check it out myself before I build a new rig.

Also Tale, you can use this to calculate how much power you need, it should be accurate enough.

I got a new power source a couple of years back. Top of the line, flexible supply.

It was like getting a new PC! Totally improved everything.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Thanks for everything. I'll check that link out when I get home and can look at what components I have.

Those are fantastic value and handily beat the blinged up competitors that cost twice as much. For what it's worth, if in doubt my preferred reference is SPCR's recommended list.

As for Corsair, it pays to check out who their OEM is for each individual model. They have some market-leading products, but also some stinkers.

Aside, while most PSU internal fans are soldered on, some use plugs and would be easily replaced. *Normally* it's a standard size case fan. Then again, for those handy with a soldering iron or even just happy with braiding and electrical tape, even the former isn't a big obstacle. Just make sure to discharge the PSU fully before opening it up - unplug the PC at the wall and try hitting the power button a few times. Might also leave it to sit for a while to be extra sure.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Only tangentially related to power supplies, but my UPS seems to be working fine. Got it tested not that long ago when a thunderstorm hit my corner of the map and power was gone for a few minutes. The beeping was annoying though.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Learned something new - Amazon are perfectly okay with shipping PSUs overseas. With it being Cyber Monday and all, there are some good deals to be had. Voltage isn't an issue because every halfway decent one has switching input, so the only difference is the shape of the power plug.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G