not

Hello,

that isn't art, it is too flat. This is art

bg_back2.gif

thus not being perfect, it gives you something, it is "warmer" , and returns an ambient style.

The following is art too

diablo-3-04.jpg

I am sorry, didn't express well what I wanted to say:

that (referring to THIS

pe-wilderness-02-580x326.jpg

is not ART, because it simply gives me no emotions, and doesn't tell me a story of dragons etc... it carries my immagination nowhere

Satananas you need to post on CG Society and get feed back from the pros,(you will be slammed of course)

but then you can learn if that is what you are looking to do, and from those learning experiences you can get better and then keep posting and improving.

Same with people posting there music on Vi Control to learn Orchestration and samples.

Good Luck!

...is not ART, because it simply gives me no emotions, and doesn't tell me a story of dragons etc... it carries my immagination nowhere

Maybe your imagination is flat, and isn't art. o_o

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

...is not ART, because it simply gives me no emotions, and doesn't tell me a story of dragons etc... it carries my immagination nowhere

After careful analyis of your views on art, I've produced an image that should spark your imagination.

I'm being snarky yes, but I hope also to be hitting somewhere close to truth here. :disguise:

Edited by Pipyui
  • Like 1

that isn't art, it is too flat. This is art

bg_back2.gif

thus not being perfect, it gives you something, it is "warmer" , and returns an ambient style.

If you wish here is some other examples of great looking locations from a Robin Hood game:

captura196.jpg?1324213543

captura194.jpg?1324213543

5327.jpg

However, its important to remember that this is nothing more then a picture of the day thread martial and has very little todo with early concepts arts. If you prefer something with some finishing touches, @Mazhlekov made a very nice paint over couple of pages back.

Also IMO its VERY important to click on those concept arts in the OpenPost, to see them in full size as intended to be seen in game, not scaled down to forum post size. (feels completely different)

Edited by Mor
  • Like 1

I am sorry, didn't express well what I wanted to say:

that (referring to THIS

is not ART, because it simply gives me no emotions, and doesn't tell me a story of dragons etc... it carries my imagination nowhere

You're comparing two images with characters as the focus to an image meant to represent the background, then calling the latter 'not' art. I don't think that's fair. Strip out the characters and their effects/accoutrements from the first two images, then compare them.

Personally I've always lived in a pleasingly green landscape, so the P:E image does carry some emotions for me.

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Well, the scene with the bridge was my first attempt to work with Blender. I'm not the graphic guy. I just wanted to see what is possible with Blender and all the add-ons (and that is a lot). E.g. the bridge is made with the Masonry plug-in in 15 min.

Thanks for the tip; I'll have to give that plug-in a try.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

• 3 weeks later...

So a woman, some trees and two chicken are art and tell an emotional, imagination driving story.

A bunch of trees and two skeletons don't.

Ooookay.

Both tell quite a Story!  I understand that the art is awesome now that I understand the perception of distance in the art.

It looks quite detailed and I look forward to what you add to make it come alive!

Once Apon a time there was a women , some trees, and two chickens....(sad story)

Long ago there was a great Dragon that blazed the forest!  All that is left now is a bunch of trees and two skeletons(epic story)

Art tells a story based on a perception of the art from the viewer.

On the contrary to many posts I have read here, I really LOVE the graphics!

I love how dark and realistic it looks. You see what ****loads of work has been done on this. After last paint over it will look perfect!

So far, I like every aspect of the game you guys presented, keep it up!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Some of those areas remind me of the IWD and BG games.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

• 3 weeks later...

Out of pure curiosity—hopefully someone from the art department can answer this—to what standard(s) are your monitors calibrated at work? I suppose white point will be D65 (or 6500K), but what about gamma and gamut?

Tangentially, are Pillars of Eternity's art assets natively sRGB or are you going for the winder Adobe RGB (which would be unusual for a game, but also helluva kewl)?

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

• 3 weeks later...

I'm curious to know (if I understand this process correctly) why the backgrounds can't be very detailed hand made drawings? Why are they done in 3D, textured, etc... Can't they be simply painted (digitally ofc)?

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I'm curious to know (if I understand this process correctly) why the backgrounds can't be very detailed hand made drawings? Why are they done in 3D, textured, etc... Can't they be simply painted (digitally ofc)?

Among other reasons I'm sure exist and are just unbeknownst to my noobish self, I believe they can store the contextual data within the "baked" 2D resulting image. In other words, even though it's just displaying a 2D image of a boulder, the fact that the boulder was initially generated in 3-dimensional space means that the 2D image retains a sort of "paint-by-numbers" 2D topographical map of the 3D properties of that boulder. I think that's how they do the dynamic lighting, in noob terms (I know this probably isn't perfectly accurate on the technical stuff, but I'm hopefully decently close, if not overly simplified.)

The thing is, they still go in and paint them, and that 3D data still stays there. The result is kind of a "best of both worlds" thing. You get spiffy things 3D can offer, while at the same time taking advantage of the amount of detail a 2D image can offer (along with the lack of hardware intensiveness to display said detail because it's not constantly-maintained 3D space).

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

They *could* be digitally painted, but doing them in 3D enables them to generate the depth-maps using the 3D info in the scene (so they can have the characters moving behind the scenery or in front and even have realtime shadows act against the backdrop).

Also - it makes having a day-night cycle easier by having the exact same scene rendered for each stage (digitally painting would require working out shadows and repainting for that)

Plus, it looks great - so maybe it's also a style choice.

What they do is paint over the 3D renders to get the best of both worlds.

Edit: Ninja'd by a slowpoke? :o   :lol:

Edited by Silent Winter
  • Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Edit: Ninja'd by a slowpoke? :o   :lol:

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to! Honest.

You said it better than I did (more concisely and less noobishly). *applause*