Good Old Games

Gorth

so what's this Galaxy thing? I noticed I have it in my GoG library but I'm reluctant to install it

It's a GOG management client like the Steam client or Origin that eventually is supposed to have similar features like automatically keeping your games up to date, track time played, feature achievements and all that jazz. It's a little rough around the edges at the moment - it failed to regognize most of my installed games which now has me adding them manually. I have no idea if auto-patching works (I doubt that because it can't be enabled in the options) but importing my Pillars of Eternity folder upgraded it to patch 1.05.

Installing games from your library is a much smoother experience with the client, so that alone might be worth it. I also assume that it will remove some of those silly patching issues with the way they released patches in the past, I think I reinstalled Wasteland 2 twice because the patches were sort of messed up with their internal versioning.

It's still Beta so most features are, uhm, kind of missing. It's also supposed to eventually enable cross-platform multiplayer e.g. for titles that are released both on Steam and GOG. The first game to support all the clients bells and whistles (including achievements) is going to be The Witcher 3, for sort of obvious reasons.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

hmmm, interesting. does it require the client to be running in the background to play the game installed with it? or can you use it only to update games?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

hmmm, interesting. does it require the client to be running in the background to play the game installed with it? or can you use it only to update games?

The client is - and according to CD Project will always be - completely optional. It helps organizing your account and has some additional features, but there is no DRM planned to go along with it that forces you to always be online or have it running while playing. Of course it won't be able to update game statistics if it isn't running.

edit:

Oy, restarting GOG Galaxy just started a host of game updates. Apparently you can't turn automatic updates on in the general options (the checkbox is disabled) but that doesn't stop the client from doing it anyway. It just didn't do anything during the initial start, probably because the automatic import of my installed games messed up somewhere. Beta indeed. ;)

edit 2:

Ah, the joy of updating Wasteland 2. For some reason the Galaxy client is currently downloading 21 GB. Bloody hell.

Edited by majestic

lol, I'll hold off for now  :biggrin:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Hah, well be sure to raise hell and bug reports over that. Is a beta after all.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hah, well be sure to raise hell and bug reports over that. Is a beta after all.

I checked, it's on the list of known errors:

- games imported from existing installations will auto-update once, even if updating is disabled

That also means if you import your game into the Galaxy client it will most likely trash all mods you have installed or render them unusable by reverting files back to the default state. That happened to me with Privateer 2: The Darkening,  there's a deinterlacing patch that is pretty much a must have because the full motion videos are unwatchable otherwise and it's pretty much gone now. Not big a deal because it's only one small fix but I don't imagine it is so nice to have it kill your dialog.tlk in Baldur's Gate.

Apparently it is also quite normal for the client to not recognize older installations, something to do with compatible installers. I sure hope they plan to change that because that was highly annoying. Especially since that too forces an update. Hooray. \o/

• Like 1

Good, goooooood.  All you Windows and Mac folk can beta test Galaxy for me and get all the wrinkles out.  Then when the Linux version comes out it will be 100% stable with absolutely zero bugs.  :shifty:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

OMG!!!!!!

Deep Silver opened up more of their catalogue on GOG!!! And yes, it's Saint's Row 2 and Saint's Row the Third complete!

OMG!!!!!! once more!!!

http://www.gog.com/news/major_releases_unchained_from_drm

EDIT: And Nordic is back with two more titles in their catalogue as well...

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

OMG!!!!!!

Deep Silver opened up more of their catalogue on GOG!!! And yes, it's Saint's Row 2 and Saint's Row the Third complete!

OMG!!!!!! once more!!!

This is weird. They've added Metro Last Light, but not 2033? What about the Metro Redux package?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

There are a few more titles that are likely to be released in the future, Risen 3 for example. I'd guess that m2033 falls into that category though it is certainly odd to release the sequel first. Alternatively it might use some steamworks functionality that can't be easily unpicked or needs to wait for galaxy, though that seems unlikely.

OMG!!!!!!

OMG!!!!!! once more!!!

SR2 is apparently nearly unplayable on PC due to being a terrifyingly terrible port, unfortunately this doesn't seem fixed for the GOG release. A real bummer as I really wanted to play SR2 after seeing some of the flashbacks in SR4 (I consider SR1 to be out of reach as chances of it ever getting a port are as good as zero).

Anyway, I'd suggest doing a bit of reading before getting SR2 for the PC, maybe the drawbacks are worth it for you, I know I found the game to be unplayable when I got it on Steam, even after applying a whole slew of community fixes.

Heh, Saint's Row 2 actually crapped out on my PS3 back in the day.  I was on the final mission, and it locked up, and then continued to lock up at the same place every time.  I was a bit frustrated, but I had gotten so much entertainment out of it I couldn't be too mad.  Thank goodness for youtube.

There are some nice things on sale this weekend (especially Grim Fandango). I also upgraded my Wasteland 2 to Digital Deluxe, not because I'm that interested in the novellas but because the upgrade also contains The Bard's Tale and the upgrade on sale is actually cheaper than The Bard's Tale. \o/

• Like 1

hoy crap, majestic is still around :o

Hiho. *waves*

It's probably more accurate to say that this is the first time I actually use my account to post a bit. It's been around forever, I just barely ever checked back here after the community split up into loads of different boards. Nice to see so many oldies around. ^^

• 2 weeks later...

Telltale adventure game series are coming to gog- perhaps unsurprisingly given the TV series is currently active the GoT series is first with a 40% discount.

Gog also won't be selling Hatred, though whether that is due to censorious moral panic or due to it being Stalin vs Martians style crap with media attention is not known (and it's very likely gog won't say either).

• Like 1

Pity, i'd prefer to give my money to GOG when purchasing Hatred.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I prefer GOG and Galaxy, but Origin has been getting more games, plus its stance on the cut from KS-made games and it gives me airline miles makes it the clear choice for me at this current moment if the game is offered on any of the three big distribution platforms.

For a moment there you had me thinking that it was just my imagination that I already had a number of Telltale games on GOG. :p

(It does mean I do already have all the Telltale games that matter though)

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Rather early summer sale has manifested.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I prefer GOG and Galaxy, but Origin has been getting more games, plus its stance on the cut from KS-made games and it gives me airline miles makes it the clear choice for me at this current moment if the game is offered on any of the three big distribution platforms.

I hope GoG gets more games in the future. I find Origin deals kinda lackluster, Steam still has the better deals and summer sales are around the corner. The new refund policy is also a step in the right direction.

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

I'd also want more and, well, more current games on GOG but only if they don't lose focus on their actual job: Getting the good old stuff to work with no DRM strings attached. Call me paranoid but there is something dark lurking in the deep recesses of Galaxy, patiently biding its time, poised to strike.

Wouldn't be the first major disappointment though, there's a reason why I so stubbornly refuse to use Steam for anything after Valve began to mutate into the scary behemoth it is today.

• Like 1

Call me paranoid but there is something dark lurking in the deep recesses of Galaxy, patiently biding its time, poised to strike.

Is it Yog-Sothoth?  It's Yog-Sothoth, isn't it?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks