The general fitness thread

Woldan

And then I'll post a picture of myself at a gym as counterproof.* :)

*or I would if I had a camera.  And a gym.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

offtopic: that girl has no butt, in my eyes it disqualifies her as a person that's "active in sports". no leg days - no care 

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Boring thread anyways XD

angry-eyes.gif

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

If you actually watch the video, you can maybe see some workout tips. How is he trolling? Then, I could also say you are trolling for having a bad taste and posting ugly manly women in ''hopefully attractive women'' thread. Boring thread anyways XD

Well that and posting stuff askew from the thread's purpose is pretty much SOP here. :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Does fighting trolls count as a workout? If so we'd all be supermen!

Back OT does has anyone ever tried a purely bodyweight only workout system? I have a copy of Pavel Tsatsouline's book The Naked Warrior but I've never really tried the exercises. I know in the Marines we did the "daily dozen" exercises almost every day followed by a run and they really worked for improving both strength and stamina.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

How was it for you? Most folks don't seem to have a high opinion of it.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I enjoyed it a lot but it came after the Marines so I was used to pullups and pushups and crunches and the like

I wasn't trying to get bigger or anything nor did I have any kind of goals in mind other than just staying in shape and keeping a routine

Free games updated 3/4/21

There is this huge global drive around fitness, the common message is 20 minutes 3-4 times a week of cardio is all you need. I dispute this. I see people at the gym who come and casually row or walk on the treadmill and don't break a sweat, they then leave the gym and probably think that level of exercise is enough. I fail to see how it is. By the end of my cardio workout I'm normally sweating like a dog in a Chinese restaurant. Surly you need to elevate your heart rate and put real effort into a workout for it to have a meaningful impact ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

There is this huge global drive around fitness, the common message is 20 minutes 3-4 times a week of cardio is all you need. I dispute this. I see people at the gym who come and casually row or walk on the treadmill and don't break a sweat, they then leave the gym and probably think that level of exercise is enough. I fail to see how it is. By the end of my cardio workout I'm normally sweating like a dog in a Chinese restaurant. Surly you need to elevate your heart rate and put real effort into a workout for it to have a meaningful impact ?

Different strokes for different folk, some people may just have an interest in maintaining a healthy lifestyle that doesn't include excessive exercise. They are not training so much as just keeping active, also consistency offers good results in terms of gains and health, 3-4 times a week every  and a healthy diet is more than enough to just be healthy.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Different strokes for different folk, some people may just have an interest in maintaining a healthy lifestyle that doesn't include excessive exercise. They are not training so much as just keeping active, also consistency offers good results in terms of gains and health, 3-4 times a week every  and a healthy diet is more than enough to just be healthy.

Buts that's my point, how does 20 minutes of cardio where you don't strain at all help you? How is that a healthy lifestyle? You may as well not go at all...or am I missing something :skeptical:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I enjoyed it a lot but it came after the Marines so I was used to pullups and pushups and crunches and the like

I wasn't trying to get bigger or anything nor did I have any kind of goals in mind other than just staying in shape and keeping a routine

8 count body builders. Tell me that was not the ultimate PT workout. And of course they would always do it at the end when you're a little wiped from all the others!

Thomas Sowell

I'm normally sweating like a dog in a Chinese restaurant.

I am stealing this line! :lol:

Thomas Sowell

I used to lift weights a bit. Now nothing. A few back excersices (because half the day in an office on ****ty chairs in front of a PC tends to ruin your back) with lots of foot slogging.

I don't use a car for anythnig... or elivators. Always on foot. Thet keeps me thin despite that being my only physical activity.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Buts that's my point, how does 20 minutes of cardio where you don't strain at all help you? How is that a healthy lifestyle? You may as well not go at all...or am I missing something :skeptical:

Because even working standing up is a bonus for most people these days. You honestly don't need to be sweating to get benefit from the activity. A gentle walk for 40 minutes is still good for you.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I used to lift weights a bit. Now nothing. A few back excersices (because half the day in an office on ****ty chairs in front of a PC tends to ruin your back) with lots of foot slogging.

I don't use a car for anythnig... or elivators. Always on foot. Thet keeps me thin despite that being my only physical activity.

Gee Trashman don't exert yourself on account of us, the last thing anyone wants is for you to do real exercise :p

John Milton 

Because even working standing up is a bonus for most people these days. You honestly don't need to be sweating to get benefit from the activity. A gentle walk for 40 minutes is still good for you.

I hear you but I still question the impact around what I see at gym sometimes. A 40 minute walk is good exercise ( or is it?) but lets say you need to make serious health changes due to high cholesterol or high blood pressure and exercise is what is needed I can't see how spending 30 minutes in a gym and putting no effort in would improve the situation?

John Milton 

If you have high blood pressure the last thing you need is high degree phys.

I shouldn't jump on you, though. I'm really just concerned given that we have so many depressed people on the forum. It's a grave error to assume that because you don't feel like going to a gym you can't do any exercise and make any improvements. ANY exercise is an improvement. And even very little exercise does you a world of good.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I shouldn't jump on you, though. I'm really just concerned given that we have so many depressed people on the forum. It's a grave error to assume that because you don't feel like going to a gym you can't do any exercise and make any improvements. ANY exercise is an improvement. And even very little exercise does you a world of good.

Okay fair point, I don't want to undermine any exercise that people are currently doing :)

John Milton 

Gee Trashman don't exert yourself on account of us, the last thing anyone wants is for you to do real exercise :p

And yet despite all that I'm healthy as a fiddle. :)

• Like 1

Look, I'm healthy as a fiddle and I smoke! (gets cancer, dies a horrible death 2 years later)

Look, I'm healthy as a fiddle and I don't exercise! (gets a heart attack and dies age 37)

Look, I'm healthy as a fiddle and thin as a stick to boot! (drains the body's natural supplies of minerals/nutrients/vitamins, gets all sorts of deficiency problems)

Being healthy is temporary, exercise is a way of staying healthy in the long run.

• Like 2

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Well, I did a full checupt, inculding blood, hormones, heart and all. Everything normal.

I don't expect a heart attack any time soon.

Okay fair point, I don't want to undermine any exercise that people are currently doing :)

Even this?

I still do mostly bodyweight exercises like pull ups, pushups and dips but I can't run as much as I used to or else I can't walk for a few days after. I've added a stationary bike, row machine, and elliptical to try to compensate but I really miss running outdoors

Free games updated 3/4/21

Perform 3 sets of Coitus.  Every set equal to 5-kilometer run by consumption of calories. 

pickup-master_25709767_orig_.jpeg

I believe we've invited you to do precisely this on several occasions.

• Like 2

-Elwood Blues