What you did today

Rosbjerg

Malcador would have been tremendously proud of me on Friday. Went for a "short meeting about work, followed by some home cooked food" with my team, plus the one-up.

Meeting bit quite successful, as the whole team very clear of purpose. Few observations made, then some decisions taken collectively about improvements. All good thus far.

The food was absolutely superb (not cooked by me, in case you think I'm boasting). But utterly ruined by the one-up relentlessly bringing up niggles with our performance. I just wanted to eat so - ironically - clamped my mouth shut and endured what felt like an hour of supplementary criticism. He gets a lot of loyalty from the team, but I don't confuse loyalty with liking the guy. I was bloody annoyed. 

Think I'll do what I can to avoid the same in future, on matter how good the food is. I can make my own food. As, indeed, I can make my own self-criticism.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Woke up a couple of hours early and realised it, so tried to fall back asleep. Went into some weird dreams, then woke up at a more appropriate time albeit with an annoying brow-pinching headache.

At least it's being a day with some sun rather then completely overcast.

Also, my sister's birthday. After poking her a bit with electronics and text messages I finally got some ideas and thoughts from her and ended up sliding an amazon gift card to her. She's a serious pain for Birthday and Christmas presents.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I laid off a lot of the stuff I've been poisoning myself with, feeding my sweet tooth with real sugar instead, so my weight loss has plateaued over the last few weeks. Better than putting some back on. Also shaved, which made me look even less thin than I am. :p

I did buy some 18yo Highland Park while in Helsinki over the weekend, looking at enjoying some of it with the second half of Saints - Buccaneers and mebbe some Saints Row IV later...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Occasionally I read this thread and think to myself: "Everything I know about how guys really feel about dating, I learned from this forum." :-

That it's a waste of money better spent on games and PC hardware ? :thumbsup:

Dealing with a friend who decided to fall out with me because I was grumpy to her two weeks ago, rather funny but didn't imagine she'd be that soft. Also cold weather is here at last, huzzah!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just found out the next member of my merry band of schoolhood companions is leaving the fine club of bachelorhood and has successfully proposed to the love of his life. It's reaching that point where the engaged, married and/or are now parents are starting to outnumber the pure bachelors.. I guess this means we are all growing up... :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Just woke up.

Ate and then went to sleep directly after I came home from work.

A former co-worker that quit this summer came and visited at work. Told me how he was more happy and did not have any problems with sleep and felt much better in general. He couldn't handle the situation so he left. One of my bosses (not the top boss) who has worked at this place for 20 years spoke to me and told me she feels like she has had enough. She's said this more than once in the last two weeks. She can take almost anything, she's seen worse things than me yet she was about to cry today. Told my co-workers about my earlier conversation with THE boss and they weren't very happy about that. Spoke to her again today. I know I'm in a pickle without work, but when you feel that your work is making you feel bad in general, maybe you should take a break.

I didn't tell her that I want to quit this time, I just told her how I felt about my situation. Will stay here until I find something else.

I'm really sorry for bringing this up every time, but it feels good to vent and I'm not good about talking about this in real life.

Two top tips from a tropical traveller:

1) Wet your hand. This reduces the speed of airflow and makes it easier to trap the mozzie.

Huh, really? Got to try that out.  :blink: 

I have hard time figuring out why the airflow slows down with water on my hand. Does the layer of water on the skin create a rough uneven surface that traps the air and/or slows it down? I'm a hobby scholar of race car aerodynamics and ground effects but I don't get that trick. 

What I did today: just my ate my first garden-grown parsnip and I have to admit I'm completely blown away by its awesome taste. Didn't expect that. It tastes of potatoes and parsley roots, with a very mild and sweet aftertaste. Totally beats potatoes in my book, now I'm really puzzled why this awesome plant has been totally forgotten in modern agriculture.

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Today I began my holiday week in between school terms by getting drunk on Scotch, I burned myself cooking and I'm doing the Monster Mash. I will do the Macarena when I'm stone cold drunk.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I'm really sorry for bringing this up every time, but it feels good to vent and I'm not good about talking about this in real life.

Don't worry about that, that's what we are here for!

And I actually enjoy reading about it too. It's like a little drama series: what will happen next? Will he find a better job? Will the boss break down and quit? Will Labadal finally get laid for the second time this century?!

It's all very exhilarating.

• Like 2

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Don't worry about that, that's what we are here for!

And I actually enjoy reading about it too. It's like a little drama series: what will happen next? Will he find a better job? Will the boss break down and quit? Will Labadal finally get laid for the second time this century?!

It's all very exhilarating.

You'll have to wait until the next episode!

I think I'm having a mid-life crisis ... whatever that is. The point where everything you used to like/spend all your time on has become supremely uninteresting/no longer motivates and you can't seem to find anything to replace it. Which = total mental/emotional drag...the "no point" fudge. Taking breaks doesn't help revive interest anymore.

I don't mean just gaming either. Pretty much everything. Reading, general media, writing, photography, camping, hiking, driving, films, "nightlife", etc. Except cats. Cats are still not boring.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

You know Lady C I was having the same problem until very recently. Before that I found that diluting those feelings with lots of booze will leave you feeling a pleasant sort of apathy that, while not ideal, is certainly better than the alternatives. It's like you know the world will end someday but you just don't care.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I've been working in Arkansas the last week. I feel like a big weight has been lifted since my part of the Simon Mall project if now completed. I've got nothing really going on for the next two weeks then I'm going to Hawaii with Lady Guard Dog. I can't wait.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Lady Guard Dog? Has she said yes?

Today I drank a little bit, hung out with some friends, and am considering transfering to UT Austin.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I think I'm having a mid-life crisis ... whatever that is. The point where everything you used to like/spend all your time on has become supremely uninteresting/no longer motivates and you can't seem to find anything to replace it. Which = total mental/emotional drag...the "no point" fudge. Taking breaks doesn't help revive interest anymore.

I don't mean just gaming either. Pretty much everything. Reading, general media, writing, photography, camping, hiking, driving, films, "nightlife", etc. Except cats. Cats are still not boring.

LadyC do you work during the day? I find that having a career that you enjoy or kids does help to give identity or purpose to a persons life.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I've been working in Arkansas the last week. I feel like a big weight has been lifted since my part of the Simon Mall project if now completed. I've got nothing really going on for the next two weeks then I'm going to Hawaii with Lady Guard Dog. I can't wait.

What's Arkansas like as a state? I have always wanted to go there. Are the people friendly, is there decent investment, what's the economy based on etc, etc.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Submitted the paper work to adopt a kitty. He's less than 6 months.

Then I worked and picked up GTA V at the end of the day.

And I'm realizing I can't do the second to last run any more because I can't get to sleep until 3 am and that's just... nasty.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

LadyC do you work during the day?

Not often at this point, no. It's been a long time since I had a full-time job/hours and even when I had one, the schedules were very flexible because I never did 9-5 work and have done freelance stuff since I was 24-25 or so (my schedule was what I wanted it to be).

I don't think that has anything to do with it tho. I think it's more likely from moving back to live in a place I don't really like that much. It was necessary (moving) and it's working well in some ways, but ... blah. Sometimes one just gets tired of feeling like everything you do is a repeat, after a few decades or more I guess. Maybe I should get a pilot's license and a small plane.

Submitted the paper work to adopt a kitty. He's less than 6 months.

A mixed mongrel type of kitty or a particular breed? There's a few breeds where I've always wanted to get one, but I never want to pay the giant breeder fee so... :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Today I sat blinking at the screen as someone explained to me that:

"Than" is old English and we don't use it anymore since after the new millennium.

And that therefor they are correct to replace it with "then".

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

"Than" is old English and we don't use it anymore since after the new millennium.

What smugfunt told you that?

• Like 2

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

What smugfunt told you that?

Troll on the Defiance forum. He bragged about griefing; I reported him to the mods for terrible grammar.

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

LadyC do you work during the day?

Not often at this point, no. It's been a long time since I had a full-time job/hours and even when I had one, the schedules were very flexible because I never did 9-5 work and have done freelance stuff since I was 24-25 or so (my schedule was what I wanted it to be).

I don't think that has anything to do with it tho. I think it's more likely from moving back to live in a place I don't really like that much. It was necessary (moving) and it's working well in some ways, but ... blah.

Okay but don't you think that this malaise you are feeling could be related to boredom?

Boredom can cause other issues that may seem similar to a midlife crisis?

John Milton