Shadowrun Returns

Pidesco

I haven't played much yet but so far so good except that my mage feels pretty weak right now. Not sure how the power levels scale but for now my pistol feels deadlier than my spells.

Might just drop this playthrough and go for a street sam or decker 

EDIT: Just encountered a weird bug that won't let me equip any armor

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Street Samurais kick butt. They would do better than my mage, especially using shotguns with kneecap. Mostly it's just the shotgun that's so fantastic.

Shamans are useful for some distraction from their totem and buffs. Deckers are useless. Riggers I used once and didn't know what I was doing. Adepts are also useless.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I disagree with the notion that Deckers are useless, after listening to my friend struggle through his Decker sequences with NPCs.

Of course, I didn't make an exclusive Decker (the system screams for you to spread your points out, based on how level up skill point allocation works).

It is unfortunate that there are less sequences in the Matrix that the Decker would be able to take advantage of, but the skill itself came in ridiculously useful throughout the game at various conversation/computer use points as well.

I split my level ups between Decker/ESP and pistols and would describe my character as quite powerful.

• Like 1

The video tutorials on youtube are the best starting place. Most of what you absolutely need to know, like building, populating, triggers.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HarebrainedSchemes/videos

There's a wiki too, but it is poorly setup at the moment. http://shadowrun-returns.wikispaces.com/Editor+Overview

Stupid question but doesn't this game have a decent manual, I come from school of thought that says complex games should have manuals :unsure:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I split my level ups between Decker/ESP and pistols and would describe my character as quite powerful.

You keep thinking that.

/gentle pat on head

I'm just kidding. They have utility, but there's very few instances where they shine. All the mandatory runs I hear that you can only have one decker in the Matrix at a time, so it makes them baggage there.

As for pistols, I... shotguns have me spoiled. Best thing in the game.

Note that I played on hard, I hear normal was too easy. Hard was easy until the "special" enemies show up later. Wish I still had coyote on those final missions.

Stupid question but doesn't this game have a decent manual, I come from school of thought that says complex games should have manuals :unsure:

For the editor the things I linked are what amounts to a manual.

For the base game, they really do a bad job telling you all you need to know. They tell you a bit, but it wasn't even until the final segment of the game that I figured out how to use overwatch.

• Like 1

/gentle pat on head

For the editor the things I linked are what amounts to a manual.

For the base game, they really do a bad job telling you all you need to know. They tell you a bit, but it wasn't even until the final segment of the game that I figured out how to use overwatch.

"gentle pat on the head "  :lol:

Okay thanks for the information around the manual. Personally I think its something they need to release. I don't mind spending time on a game but not spending time learning how the gameplay works :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Shotguns are pretty amazing, I loved having Coyote along.  I got deadly with my pistol as a Street Sam by the end of the game as well.  

I'm a pistol totting samurai as well. Just dealt some revolver justice to the ripper. :)

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Riggers I used once and didn't know what I was doing.

Just in case you didn't figure it out yet, you have to cycle through the Riggers weapons until you get to their bots. Then you will see an "on" switch which disengages the bot from follow mode and puts it into free attack mode. Beware, each active bot uses one of the Riggers AP points to function so in the early game before you get 3 AP, its possible to have both bots active and your Rigger just standing there. Be sure to stash him around a corner or something so he/she isn't a sitting duck.

So far it seems like SMGs are the worst weapon type in the game, mostly because they just chew through their ammo far too quickly and don't do enough damage to really offset you having to reload all the time.  On the other end of the spectrum, I rarely have to reload my rifle, even when I use full auto.

Force 4 elementals are pretty pretty boss, especially when you can confidently keep them around for several turns and pump them up with 4 AP every turn.  Barriers are fantastic against melee enemies, especially since I never bring any melee runners along, so it never hiders my team.  My shammy rocks.

:biggrin:

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I use an elf pistol/quickness+charisma runner person, and she rocks with her pistol. Infinite ammo sniper lady. :D
Granted, if Coyote had the same skill level with her shotgun she may be scary destructive as well, but *shrug* I shoot and stuff dies. :D

Now I'm just not sure if Double Tap works. I noticed my damage doubling, but it was at the same time I bought the Cavalier revolver, so not sure what caused the dramatic increase.

Edited by Oner

I'm just kidding. They have utility, but there's very few instances where they shine. All the mandatory runs I hear that you can only have one decker in the Matrix at a time, so it makes them baggage there.

There is one where you are in with someone else.

That you can only have one decker in the Matrix, however, tells me that it's more useful than otherwise (since I can have my superior decker in the Matrix).  I played on default difficulty, whatever that is.

Yeah pistols not needing an AP to reload is a pretty sweet bonus.  It also means the high powered revolvers having less ammo is not an issue.

I think I'm almost done with my little Obsidian Forum Adventure using the toolkit.  I'll update it when it is ready.  I still haven't figure out how to transition to different places on the same map, but that's my only real glitch.  

What about my variable idea? Use something to pass along the origin, then set a condition on the player spawner based on origin.

What about my variable idea? Use something to pass along the origin, then set a condition on the player spawner based on origin.

I tried it briefly and didn't get it to work, but I will keep at it.  

Ok I finished my little test adventure.  Nothing too in depth, really only takes a few minutes to run through it, but it helped me get the hang of things and allowed me to build my first three maps.  It is called "Roofles" and it is dedicated to Volourn  :*

Now I'm going to focus on making a more serious story based adventure.

• Like 1

I have to admit the Universal Brotherhood was kind of nice for the multiple ways you could achieve your ends.

The bad bit was that if you crossed over elements of it, it didn't recognise it.

Putting the kerosene on the stove to distract the one guy so you could get in to let your team in, then go up and grab an outfit..

Getting janitor id and uniform to get access to the office, then produce a new key card.

Get a blank key card, mess it up, then say you need a new one and aren't in uniform because you were undercover

Get access to the locker room, and chloroform father willy.

Potentially get into the inner sanctum via the gun turret protected areas,

Or either Deck / use Father Willy's card / Forge a super card to open the secret door and bypass the turrets completely

So you could be in disguise, but they'd still ask you why you weren't in uniform even if you were, or talk to you about joining the Brotherhood..

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Just died after playing for an hour. I was doing the Renraku mission but my Decker died so I had no one to do the hacking. Is it possible to wait before I do that mission or will it disappear if I do the other one first?

Managed to avoid the bug and finished it.  I guess I was just unlucky to hit the bug.  :p  I think the game is rather short as expected, which is justifiable considering the replay value, I guess (and the Berlin DLC is coming).  I put points exclusively on shaman abilities this time around and I'd like to play a different character when I find time.  Very happy with how things turned out with this Kickstarter project.