New Scientific Discoveries, Part Deux

Pidesco

Not really a discovery, but since we once had a long thread on lotteries and probabilities, here's an interesting article : http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/math-explains-likely-long-shots-miracles-and-winning-the-lottery/

• Like 1

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I've devised +1 field plate skepticism that wards off pronouncements about working nuclear fusion being "just around the corner". Sure. Whatever. It was just around the corner four decades ago. Now it's a physicist jobs program. :p Work on solar cell technology is making remarkable and steady progress, and it has the benefit of being useable now.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I've devised +1 field plate skepticism that wards off pronouncements about working nuclear fusion being "just around the corner". Sure. Whatever. It was just around the corner four decades ago. Now it's a physicist jobs program. :p Work on solar cell technology is making remarkable and steady progress, and it has the benefit of being useable now.

That is the big misconception about fusion.

The fusion funding allocated four decades ago was at so called 'fusion never' level and sadly that prediction has turned out to be true.

That is also why fusion research doesn't even qualify as a jobs program. 

Edited by pmp10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Scientists discover a novel way to make ethanol without corn or other plants

They used copper nanocrystals and electricity with water and CO to attain 57% conversion efficiency. Pretty impressive. They're working on a way to improve yields of higher energy-density propanol as well. Could this be the future of vehicle fuel generation?

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Scientists discover a novel way to make ethanol without corn or other plants

They used copper nanocrystals and electricity with water and CO to attain 57% conversion efficiency. Pretty impressive. They're working on a way to improve yields of higher energy-density propanol as well. Could this be the future of vehicle fuel generation?

I don't want to know what a copper nanocrystal is. All I know is I'm living in the fuuuutuuuure.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

There is more than one alternative energy source to corn that they explore, they using our excrement..

EDIT:

Here is the recent article on the topic that I read. http://io9.com/12-unexpected-sources-of-energy-that-could-save-the-wor-1555080352

Other alternative include Tobacco Leaves, Jatropha curcas, Algae Machines, Super Yeast, Corny Switchgrass, Semi-Solid Sewage(poop). They even suggest urine batteries.. yep it is the fuuuutuuuure indeed ;)

Edited by Mor