New Scientific Discoveries, Part Deux

Pidesco

Dont we get news about clean fusion every second day for like 50 years now? :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

• 2 weeks later...

Not really a "discovery" per se, though I'm sure at some point they'll discover what caused it:

Not the first time something SpaceX explodes, either, but that's gotta be a serious blow to a non-(completely)-gov't funded organization.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

• 1 month later...

crap, I was hoping it will go well :/

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

• 4 weeks later...

The rover Curiosity has found boron in Martian rocks. Boron is pretty rare here on earth comprising less than .01% of the crust. It's only found on the surface where it's solubility led to deposits by falling water levels.  That is has been found on the Marian surface is yet more evidence that Mars once had liquid water on it's surface. That can only means it's atmosphere was once much more dense and the sun was once much more intense. Since Mars gets 40% less energy from the Sun than the Earth does I wonder is there was any scenario that allowed liquid water to exist on Mars & Earth simultaneously? I'd guess not.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nasa-curiosity-discovers-boron-mars-053220215.html

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Solar energy is now cheaper than wind

In India and Chile for example, the price of solar power is now half that of coal produced electricity, and it continues to decrease. Peak fossil fuel use for electricity may be reached in the next decade.

Apples to non-dispatchables.

You can't compare whole systems just by focusing on cherry-picked auction prices.

• Like 1

More violations of the laws of physics: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4052580/China-claims-built-working-version-NASA-s-impossible-engine-says-s-orbiting-Earth.html

Is there a physics police we can send after these people?

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan