New Scientific Discoveries, Part Deux

Pidesco

Continued from here.

Go ahead and post your most recent scientific developments. Or someone else's. Like scientists, for example.

• Like 30

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It's a small step from here to a Broadway musical performed entirely by actual live vermin.

• Like 3

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

No idea if they are visible on the southern hemisphere, but there is too much light pollution here anyway to watch the sky >_

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I've been staying awake and am hoping for a clearing or two in the cloudcover here, but no luck so far. The radar says there's a thunderstorm heading this way though, so I could always hope to get some long time exposure shots of of lightning instead.

I'd really, really like some pictures of my own of meteorites though!

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Upcoming space mission events of interest:

• 2013 -- MAVEN: Mars atmosphere and volatile evolution spcaecraft
  • 2014 -- Rosetta spacecraft orbits comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko
  • 2015 -- New Horizons flyby of Pluto
  • 2015 -- Dawn enters Ceres orbit
  • 2016 -- Juno enters polar Jupiter orbit
  • 2016 -- Launch of OSIRIS-REx to return a sample from minor planet 101955 Bennuu
  • 2017 -- Launch of TESS: Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite
  • 2018 -- James Webb Space Telescope launches(?)...

I'm particularly looking forward to the Dawn encounter with Ceres.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqWxys3P_nI

...e'eryone needs ta see this documentary...wife an' I watched it tonite...fascinatin' stuff... :yes:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

• Like 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Have you ever wanted to leave the ground and soar like a bird -- or perhaps a bat? In January 2012, a Connecticut-based inventor was granted a patent for what the application describes as "a completely dynamic human powered flying suit" that is modeled after the bat's style of aviation. The inventor explains in the patent application that bats are fellow mammals and the flying creatures "most closely related to human beings."

The device consists of a pair of strap-on batlike wings with rigid and non-rigid portions that can be manipulated by the wearer once aloft. Initially getting off the ground is a bit trickier: Unlike bats, who simply do what comes naturally, the wearer of the flying suit would have to be towed, or ride on a bicycle, skis or rollerblades down an incline and then assume a leaning-forward flying posture and leap into the air at the appropriate moment [source: USPTO]. The question is: Would this really work?

10-awesome-inventions-2.jpg

Wingsuit flyer

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

• 2 weeks later...

Beat me to it... thought about the mouse experiment posted earlier in this thread. Watch this space for computer virus that forces you to do things against your will :lol:

Speaking of minds, those wacky Austrians (not to be confused with Australians) are at it again. Not just masters of Quantum Communication, they are also putting a different spin on AI.

Now growing brains in vats...

Yeah, why don't you grow a brain you...

Make them big and smart enough and stick them in a cyborg body. Humanity is sooo going to be last years model.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=216538263

"Researchers in Sweden have confirmed the existence of element 115. It sticks around for a surprisingly long time. Scientists believe it may bring them closer to the mythical 'island of stability' a whole slew of super-heavy elements that could last for days or even years."

What are super-heavy elements?

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

"Researchers in Sweden have confirmed the existence of element 115. It sticks around for a surprisingly long time. Scientists believe it may bring them closer to the mythical 'island of stability' a whole slew of super-heavy elements that could last for days or even years."

Isn't it basically every element above those occurring naturally or something?

image-163149-full.jpg

Isn't it basically every element above those occurring naturally or something?

Oh, OK.

-Elwood Blues

I had am math teacher at university that was so boring it was like an elemental force. I suggesting naming one of the empty slots in the periodic table after him and call it 'Tedium'. Very heavy stuff.

• Like 3

I have allowed myself to become more squeamish than is good for me. But overcame it quickly.

As you'd expect from an infomercial that looked very impressive. I'd have questions about:

- Whether the procedure used could be carried out in the field. Particularly whether being unable to remove a blood surplus would cause a problem.

- Whether the use of the material complicates the treatment of other injury types, such as burns

- Whether the use of the material complicates cleaning of the wound

Although, having said that, the notion of being able to blast a bleedout with material that would at least slow an otherwise terminal haemorrhage equals a win in my book.

Mind you, having a couple of fistfuls of powder shoved into your body has also got to hurt like hell.

-Elwood Blues