Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

There is a Possibility of a Pen and Paper Project Eternity RPG

Project Eternity Pen and Paper

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

keiichimorisato98

keiichimorisato98

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:keiichimorisato9
  • Xbox Gamertag:keiichi98
  • Steam:keiichimorisato9
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I recently asked on the Project Eternity Kick Starters page at the possibility of a Pen and Paper RPG inspired by and set in the world of Project Eternity. what inspired me to ask is two fold, 1) i was watching a show on a youtube channel called Counter Monkey, which sparked my interest in the world of Pen and Paper RPG's. 2) Sine the guys at Obsidian are huge fans of Pen and Paper RPG's as well as CRPG's and WRPG's i thought there was a possibility of this happening. 

This is the response i received Hello Keichi,

Thank you for your interest in Project Eternity. At the moment, we are unable to comment on your question but it is entirely possible.

Thank you for your support, 
Maria

What do you think? are you as excited for the possibility as i am?

melkathi

melkathi

Teddy Bear Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2890 posts
  • Steam:melkathi
  • Kickstarter Backer

are you as excited for the possibility as i am?

Nope ;)

Project Eternity hasn't released yet and thus has not yet been able to show me how it is truly unique or at least preferable over countless existing settings.

Besides that, I haven't been able to get a proper gaming group togethe rin yeas so even if it turns out to be awesomesauce, I wouldn't be able to play anyway.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4518 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'd be interested; of course I'd be more interested once I'm more familiar with how PE will be in the game.  But I like PnP stuff too.

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4424 posts

It sounds good now, but then you remember how every session ended in a huge argument about a particular outcome or ruling. Also, I don't know if I would be up for that again without the services of my mom for refreshments and cleanup duty.

Falkon Swiftblade

Falkon Swiftblade

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It would be incredibly easy to create a table top version of this since they're already working with 2d maps in the game. Just add hex overlay to the maps and make some cards or something and easy pen and paper game.

melkathi

melkathi

• Members
  • 2890 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Who needs maps and hexes for pen and paper games?

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5647 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Kickstarter Backer

It's all in the mind.

melkathi

melkathi

• Members
  • 2890 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Thanks Wals. I think I'll never sleep again, too terrified that some crazy brainsurgeon turned modernist artist will come at night, open up my skull and draw a hex grid on my brain.

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5647 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Kickstarter Backer

Thanks Wals. I think I'll never sleep again, too terrified that some crazy brainsurgeon turned modernist artist will come at night, open up my skull and draw a hex grid on my brain.

You should be so lucky. I predict ME cracking your skull with a toffee hammer, and sprinkling plastic goblins all over your hippocampus like pistachios on icecream.

And now I want icecream.

melkathi

melkathi

• Members
  • 2890 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

There's worse fates.

I am known to like goblins:

http://melkathi.devi...mbler-381120322

and worse:

http://melkathi.devi...esque-359822029

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9963 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
It wouldn't be hard to convert the PC rules to tabletop on your own either.

melkathi

melkathi

• Members
  • 2890 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It wouldn't be hard to convert the PC rules to tabletop on your own either.

Thats what generic rpg rules are for, right?

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5647 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

There's worse fates.

I am known to like goblins:

http://melkathi.devi...mbler-381120322

and worse:

http://melkathi.devi...esque-359822029

I like the drawing.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4330 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It would be incredibly easy to create a table top version of this since they're already working with 2d maps in the game. Just add hex overlay to the maps and make some cards or something and easy pen and paper game.

I'd imagine a PnP version may need some simplification of the mechanics. You can do a lot of background calculation in a CRPG to determine things like radii of effects or damage results, but it may be much fun for the GM to do that.

Semper

Semper

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

what rjshae said. plus they already said that they're creating the rules with heavy cpu calculation and real time in mind. there's no simple dice rolling in the background where the mathematics is simple and fast for a pnp session. we're talking about percentage and a range of 1-100+ for almost everything. to transform this into a pnp compatible game you have to rewrite the whole rules system from the ground up. i heavily doubt that this'll ever happen.

what you recieved as official response is just business talk. words without substance.

melkathi

melkathi

• Members
  • 2890 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Percentages (read: the 1-100 range) is not a problem though. There are enough systems which use exactly that. There are after all more ways to run a pen and paper game than the d20 system.

If a pen and paper version is made, and I feel its too early to be certain of it or to rule it out entirely, then most likely a small team will addapt one of the prelevant concepts of pen and paper rules to fit the spirit of the game. The important thing will be to create a ruleset that do the setting and its unique ideas justice, not to simulate every calculation the computer may be doing.

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5647 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

what rjshae said. plus they already said that they're creating the rules with heavy cpu calculation and real time in mind. there's no simple dice rolling in the background where the mathematics is simple and fast for a pnp session. we're talking about percentage and a range of 1-100+ for almost everything. to transform this into a pnp compatible game you have to rewrite the whole rules system from the ground up. i heavily doubt that this'll ever happen.

what you recieved as official response is just business talk. words without substance.

Be fair. At least they had the simple manners to reply.

Calrabjohns

Calrabjohns

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Calrabjohns
  • Kickstarter Backer
Barring an official PnP RPG, what systems would you guys use (if so inclined) to use the PE setting as it's known to us so far? Or alternately, what do you think will end up being the best system to adapt (more speculative with less need of knowledge to entertain a thought---the lazy man's version :p)

melkathi

melkathi

• Members
  • 2890 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Without having played the game I find it hard to decide. just because of popularity I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried to makea  d20 version. And it may actually work, seeing how PE will be a class based game.

But something similar to Dark Heresy could also work.

Personally I enjoy systems based on percentages, as those are the easiest for me to get my head around. And I enjoy a system to be supporting the game through existing in the background and not be the driving force of the game.

• Walsingham likes this

mrlobo2014

mrlobo2014

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

Barring an official PnP RPG, what systems would you guys use (if so inclined) to use the PE setting as it's known to us so far? Or alternately, what do you think will end up being the best system to adapt (more speculative with less need of knowledge to entertain a thought---the lazy man's version :p)

Since I like the OSR stuff I would use PE in a First or Original DnD rules format. I can definitely imagine using maps from Eternity in an ongoing campaign. Maybe have something similar to the first World of Greyhawk folio that was put out. You know, just a basic outline of the areas and controlling factions with some gorgeous maps to back it up?

What concerns me the most is the content that would be made available. Would there be spoilers for the Eternity CRPG? What would be different from the main story in the CRPG?  An alternate Eternity Universe perhaps? What type of canon material would be included or discarded? Lots of questions to think about. I think it may be easier converting from a PnP game to a CRPG game than the reverse.

Maybe story lines and fragments from the CRPG that aren't entirely fleshed out can be used to create scenarios for an Eternity PnP game. That way users can get some satisfaction that they are contributing and putting their own mark on the Eternity universe in a way.  But of course the main question is: Would it be profitable to release maps and fluff material for generic RPG rules?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project Eternity, Pen and Paper

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users