Is PC gaming dead?

Game designers and the industry at large really just suck. Period.

Just watching a 10MB Ms-Dos (Master of Magic) game owning a 3GB (Elemental) game is a friggin disgrace. I view myself and the computer community, as brainless losers with no life at all.

Because let's face it, if we truly had a life, we would've abandoned this platform a long time ago. There's something called self-respect, a virtue we lost a long time ago. You either die as a Heroe, or live long enough to watch yourself become the villain :skull: 

Joder tio, ten cuidado y no te cortes en ese borde. You know, cause you're so edgy.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

If it won't fit on a single density 5 1/4" floppy, it's probably not worth playing anyway.

"640k is all you'll ever need!": Hiro Protagonist Bill Gates

Though I do have to say that improved graphics not being matched by improved gameplay/ AI etc is one of my major peeves with the state of gaming. Especially since a lot of stuff actually goes backwards in that regard. I can kind of justify an AI acting like a pithed frog in a game that looks like DOOM or even System Shock 2, not so much in something more modern.

So can I call myself a Necromancer yet?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

So can I call myself a Necromancer yet?

Have you started having sex with corpses yet?

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

If it won't fit on a single density 5 1/4" floppy, it's probably not worth playing anyway.

Funny enough, back in the old days, on the Septerra Core forum there were quite a few people really surprised that the game was so small in file size. Comparing it to other games at the time it really was remarkable. All it took was a dev who knew how to properly compress.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Back in those days they used CDs for the intro movie. Without it, everything else could probably fit on a floppy. For a while anyway

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

The first two Tex Murphy games, Mean Streets and The Martian Memorandum, came on floppies.  Those games had full motion video and digitized speech, albeit in tiny windows and very short snippets, on floppies!

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Rockstar's game sizes are pretty massive, pain for me to download burdened with a cap as I am.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Rockstar's game sizes are pretty massive, pain for me to download burdened with a cap as I am.

Tell me about it. Those ones are definitely box copy purchases for me. My fear is if I do buy one, it would immediately have a 12GB patch. Nearly got them on Steam during the winter sale when i noticed how big they were.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Well I'm always buying them on sale so by the time I get it, it's patched up and all.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

That's a pretty defeatist attitude, Felithvian.  Worthwhile games still get made all the time.  Look at World of Goo, or FTL, or Portal, or Machinarium, just to name a few from the last 6 years or so.  There is, always has always been, and always will be, a giant sea of mediocrity out there, but if you're careful with your fishing you can always catch some keepers.  Even better, since so many of the truly worthwhile games these days aren't "AAA", you don't have to drop $50 for them, you can get them for $15 or $20 (or cheaper on a sale).

That's pathetic Keyrock. The vast majority of favourable arguments are of course mundane and thus of little significance to people who have paid nearly 600-1200 euros for hardware components. If the future of computer gaming lies in a few mini-games with super nintendo music, we might as well dust off the ol' Super Nintendo.

I know that I expect games to be good based on their file sizes!

I know that you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Since Stardock's developers announced a spiritual successor to Steve Barcia's Master of Magic, a 4x turn based game, you "would" assume that a 3GB game could easily own (In almost every single aspect) a 19 year old 10MB dos game. Time to leave that hammer of yours, and start doing some math.

Joder tio, ten cuidado y no te cortes en ese borde. You know, cause you're so edgy.

¿Podries provar de parlar un poc el Valencià?

Jo puc parlar el Castellà, pero no en tinc gana ara mateixa. Així que ja ho saps, en valencià o res de res. You knowm cause you're so smart.

I know that you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Since Stardock's developers announced a spiritual successor to Steve Barcia's Master of Magic, a 4x turn based game, you "would" assume that a 3GB game could easily own (In almost every single aspect) a 19 year old 10MB dos game. Time to leave that hammer of yours, and start doing some math.

I'm going to have to assume Poe's Law, since I figured it was quite obvious I don't equate file size with game quality.

And no, I would NOT expect a game that is 3 GB to "easily own" (in any way aside from perhaps graphics) a 19 year old 10 MB DOS game.

I won't go on about math, however, Mr. "Modern astronomy is a lie, the sun is God's Light and here's some woefully incorrect math that supports my incorrect assumptions"

have you heard of the X-Bone? It boasts 8 gigs of ddr3 ram for the new generation! wow! 

i think my phone is almost as powerful.

meanwhile, the master race endures and will live on in superiority long after this console fad has faded into the obscurity of time.

And no, I would NOT expect a game that is 3 GB to "easily own" (in any way aside from perhaps graphics) a 19 year old 10 MB DOS game.

You wouldn't expect 3000 soldiers to easily defeat 10 old veterans?

Are we living in the same world?

You wouldn't expect 3000 soldiers to easily defeat 10 old veterans?

Are we living in the same world?

So you would expect a 60000 page novel to easily be superior to a 200 page one?  I'm sure that a 600 hour movie must be superior to a 2 hour one as well.

We are living in the same world.  One of us just picks better analogies.