The Kickstarter Thread

Gorth

When I get a hundred emails all with the same information, I'm most likely to not even bother looking at it and simply trash it.  I won't even read the first one.

Instant Pulitzer prize.

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

I'm sure reporting on a story that is being spammed to dozens of different news outlets is an express lane to a Pulitzer Prize!

Never mind that the contents of said email are about a video game, so I consider your retort to be irrelevant.  Unless you think that gaming journalists have a chance on winning the Pulitzer based on their reporting of video games.

I thought about giving Pandora a try. It was made by some college kids. The game is basically done, they just need some cash for the rights to sell it.

Hopefully the jumping isn't too awkward. That's usually my main gripe with platformers of any sort. This one is a platform puzzler.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

The original campaign didn't ask for funding for development apart from sound assets like music, which was $6000 out of the ~$37000, so while promises were broken, it wasn't rewards or what people were backing. They never gave a concrete release date on either KickStarter campaign. I don't see why there'd be outrage at what they've done.

Also, features get cut in game development all the time, obviously some people can't get their heads around what kind of work goes into some features like what has happened with Shadowrun: Returns. They're right to be disappointed, but you can't blame the developer, it's an inevitable part of any software development, and the backers only have themselves to blame for backing, they have to own their decisions.

According to Ryan of Pandora: Purge of Pride

Also the jumping is fairly forgiving, we made it just a little more floaty than normal so that you have more time to set where you will land. Also, we made sure you can see your character model, which helps a lot.

It seemed like in the screen shots there could be a fair bit of platform jumping in some stages.

Plus DRM-free goodness.

I just thought it was an interesting concept. You are Pandora, trying to capture the seven deadly sins in your mansion, and as you gather them, you gain a power from them.

Plus how can you cay no to a group of kids like this:

b431c3855843afe372e60f167b329e1e_large.p

With a company logo like this:

cdc9cb3c81a6f35a51654b200ee229ea_large.p

Edited by babaganoosh13

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Punishing the developers by boycotting them just because of the actions of a few fans was childish in my opinion, Mark Jacobs was not responsible at all, he never told anyone to spam other websites, in fact he told everyone to stop doing that and has apologized publicly in behalf of his fans.

Anyway, I'm glad they funded the game successfully despite PA little tantrum. Pretty much every MMO that has come latety has been funded and overseen by Publishers, I'm curious to see what a crowdfunded, player-driven MMO will look like.

^^^^

I hope they make it. ($300K) Is a pretty ambitious goal though for a new company - albiet one made from the people who made the latter Midway Test Drive games. The former Sierra ones got just over that, and they were big names.

I guess we can do Kickstarters in Canada now without needing an American or Englishman on board.

The Eternal Darkness spiritual successor Shadow of the Eternals is now an actual Kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617502838/shadow-of-the-eternals?ref=category

It seems as though the new goal takes the $150K or so that they raised in the "fake" one out of the goal of the "real" one.

Hopefully the biggest news out of this is that Canadians can now do these things without needing someone out of country. I wonder if that game (and the company) has a fan base big enough to support it.

• Like 1

Sometimes I just shake my head at some of the RPG Maker kickstarters. To me in general, they're like a book. Just about anyone can write one, that doesn't mean it's going to be good. Plus, I'll only pay so much for one. As well, quite frankly, the most impressive ones I've seen so far haven't been on there (some people can do some great things with it on their own) - many of those are free. This one seems to take the cake:

Dormant Sky®

I couldn't forget the registered trademark symbol he put in the title.

Also, apparently it says "Final Fantasy" in Katakana in the logo, which if I'm not mistaken, is a registered trademark.

Apparently he used RPG Maker 2003 to make it. That was only released untranslated in Japan. It is technically illegal to use the translated copy for this type of thing.

Plus he also took some art assets from Lunar 2, Rudra and Chrono Trigger.

Did he mention that this was going to be a freeware game? Not on the main page he didn't.

For some fun, read the comments. He should probably just shut it down, especially considering Deciga knows about it now.

I guess we can do Kickstarters in Canada now without needing an American or Englishman on board.

The Eternal Darkness spiritual successor Shadow of the Eternals is now an actual Kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617502838/shadow-of-the-eternals?ref=category

It seems as though the new goal takes the $150K or so that they raised in the "fake" one out of the goal of the "real" one.

Hopefully the biggest news out of this is that Canadians can now do these things without needing someone out of country. I wonder if that game (and the company) has a fan base big enough to support it.

That was the reason the Todd and the Book of Pure Evil guys used IndiGoGo. People were asking why they didn't use Kickstarter because its higher profile, they said Kickstarter sucked for Canadians.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

For backers of War For The Overworld, the bedrock beta is now available. It looks good enough that it completely changed my mind about the project.

They're obviously making sort of a Dungeon Keeper 3 (and as I've heard they have Molyneux' blessing), but the thing I've been wondering (and nobody's been able or been willing to tell me) is whether it takes more after DK or DK2... I didn't exactly like DK2, DK1 otoh <3

They're trying to take the best parts of both, but the main inspiration is the first one. Most of the KeeperKlan community that this project sprang forth from agrees that Dungeon Keeper 1 superior to the sequel by far.

Thanks for the info and good to hear. Not quite sure what the good part of DK2 were that weren't in DK1 but I'll sure be keeping a close eye on this game now.