Got to say this cheered my whole day up, thank you for using the fast travel and the reminder of the strong goals you're aiming for.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Those Aumaua heads look great! I was critical of the Aumaua concept art posted previously, but these do a really good job of looking weird and non-human yet not ugly. Also, kudos for avoiding the common fantasy trope of making the males look really alien and weird but then relegating the females to modern human standards of beauty. One thing I'm still not clear about: are those things on their heads supposed to be hair formed into dreads, or are those some type of fleshy tentacles?

I'm wondering, are the Afro-Italian Vailians mentioned previously one of the three human ethnicities, and will the other two feature a similarly diverse blend of real-world influences? I think it's a great way to take inspiration from history without being forced into a set path, and it would be a shame if the other ethnicities were more standard:

"So for this ethnicity over here, we took inspiration from a variety of southern European and north/eastern African cultures to create a blend we feel is fresh and interesting."

"What about those guys over there?"

'Eh, those are the same Germanic white dudes you see in 99% of fantasy."

As some other people noted on Kickstarter, the fact that you will be offering only Steam and GOG options is a bit limiting us Linux players at the moment. If GOG does finally get around to supporting Linux (I do hope so, and there is still time for them to do so), then it's all fine, but if not... And I can't use Steam since it's DRM and I don't agree with their subscriber agreement. So if it stays that way, it equates to not geting a Linux version at all... It would be nice if there was a third option, like a direct download, or Desura, or you managing to convince GOG to distribute the Linux binaries for the Kickstarter backers.

As some other people noted on Kickstarter, the fact that you will be offering only Steam and GOG options is a bit limiting us Linux players at the moment. If GOG does finally get around to supporting Linux (I do hope so, and there is still time for them to do so), then it's all fine, but if not... And I can't use Steam since it's DRM and I don't agree with their subscriber agreement. So if it stays that way, it equates to not geting a Linux version at all... It would be nice if there was a third option, like a direct download, or Desura, or you managing to convince GOG to distribute the Linux binaries for the Kickstarter backers.

They have stated that there will be DRM free version on Linux too, they hope that GOG will expand to linux, but if not, they will find another solution.

• Like 1

Thank you for the clearly written FAQ. It added several details I don't think I've seen before, particularly the ethnicities. The Aumaua heads are interesting and nicely formed, although the polygons are visible in the hair. Can't wait to see it with the texture added! :)

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

The Aumaua heads have gotten me more interested in the race as a potential character...

and for aumaua, Island and Coastal

Does this mean that Aumaua are limited to large, salt-water, aquatic origins (sea/ocean)?

Or is there potential for freshwater dwelling Aumaua?

I'm thinking about being the P:E "Swamp Thing"! :nuke:

Edited by Wyrm

FINALsm.png

The Ancient Wyrm - Grand Dragon of the Obsidian Order

More info on ethnicities

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506352&pagenumber=400&perpage=40#post414524664

Meadow Folk (humans) are white (Aedyr/Dyrwood) people originally from the north, Ocean Folk are black (Vailians) seafaring equatorial people, and Savannah Folk are (essentially) mestizo. They also have native names for themselves (Meadow = Thyrtan, Vailians = Calbandra, Savannah = Natlan) like the other races/ethnicities (Wood Elves = Sceltrfolc, Pale Elves = Glamfellen), but the common names are what you see on your character sheet.

Race affects attributes, but ethnicity does not.

• Like 1

The central character in the story is a newcomer to the Dyrwood, a man or woman who is caught up in a bizarre supernatural phenomenon.  This event puts them in a difficult position, where they must explore the new world to solve a series of problems that have been thrust upon them.

So I can't be a native, Glanfathan elf for example?

No.  The player can't be a native Glanfathan or Dyrwoodan.  We want your character to be as unfamiliar with this area as the player is.

The Aumaua heads have gotten me more interested in the race as a potential character...

and for aumaua, Island and Coastal

Does this mean that Aumaua are limited to large, salt-water, aquatic origins (sea/ocean)?

Or is there potential for freshwater dwelling Aumaua?

I'm thinking about being the P:E "Swamp Thing"! :nuke:

Aumaua aren't amphibious, just semiaquatic.  They can live anywhere other races can live, though they are usually most comfortable living near water.

• Like 4

Josh, given that you previously said:

The climate of the Dyrwood is Mediterranean shifting to temperate and then continental as you go farther East, but much of Aedyr itself (far to the northwest) is humid subtropical to tropical.

it stands to reason that although the Aedyrans may be primarily northern European linguistically and in appearance, it wouldn't make sense for everything about them to be based on late Medieval northern European nations. For example, clothing and building styles would have to be adapted to the warmer climate. How are you handling that? Are you inventing unique styles, or could this be an opportunity to blend some additional real-world cultures into the design of the Aedyrans?

"Aww, it's a bunny...  You didn't hear me say that.  I hate bunnies.  Always being all bunny like.  Playboying it up."

:lol:

The Aumaua heads look fantastic.  My Aumaua Priest is going to awesomely awesome with a side of awesomeness.

:woot:

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

But they don't look very aquatic to me. Why do they have hair, for example?

And do they make for good sushi?

They said "Semiaquatic" so think beaver, otter, platypus, yapok, etc.
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

But they don't look very aquatic to me. Why do they have hair, for example?

And do they make for good sushi?

They said "Semiaquatic" so think beaver, otter, platypus, yapok, etc.

add2c1d9-04bb-4ff4-b2d5-9ed81ff4f2d3.jpg

• Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Please Obsidian, reconsider the amount of available companions in the game, they were one of the aspects behind the popularity of BG.

I think that they said somewhere that they do more if there is time, but they concentrate make companions reactive and fun to interact instead of making large quantities of semi silent companions. But they made adventure's hall where you can create and hire those silent types of companions. In my opinion it is quite good trade off, as they do have quite limited budget.

The central character in the story is a newcomer to the Dyrwood, a man or woman who is caught up in a bizarre supernatural phenomenon.  This event puts them in a difficult position, where they must explore the new world to solve a series of problems that have been thrust upon them.

So I can't be a native, Glanfathan elf for example?

No.  The player can't be a native Glanfathan or Dyrwoodan.  We want your character to be as unfamiliar with this area as the player is.

I understand the reasons, but

FFFFUUUUUUU...

I hope this is not a kind of "Avatar" story...

I do,  that way my ruthless, yet beautifully-dressed army of gold-cod-pieced mercenaries can beat the snot out of the local hippies, then harvest their natural resources to make even more badass war galleons.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Project Eternity's team is focusing on three core ideas that will capture the Infinity Engine experiences players loved so much:

• Unique, beautiful, dynamic environments that encourage and reward exploration.
  • A story that is both personal and far-reaching, with believable characters and factions that create compelling dilemmas for players.
  • Fun and challenging tactical combat that can escalate in difficulty through the use of optional game modes.

They seem like excellent core ideas, if you don't mind me saying so. =)

All of the races have different ethnicities from which the player can choose.  For elves, Wood and Pale, for dwarves, Mountain and Boreal, for orlans, Hearth and Wild, and for aumaua, Island and Coastal.  Humans have three ethnicities: Meadow, Ocean, and Savannah.  Godlike can be found among any race and their appearance always sets them apart from their parents.

This is so cool! And rather well-organized too. I know which races I want to try out when the game is out!

(Wood Elf, Boreal Dwarf, Wild Orlan, maybe a godlike... you guys are going going keep me really busy with replays!)

Our art style is fairly realistic and uses a somewhat subdued, natural color palette, especially in outdoor environments.  Character proportions are also fairly realistic.  Equipment designs and proportions are based on their earthly historical counterparts, with an overall emphasis on function in their form.  However, because this is a fantasy game, many environments will also be fantastic, with unearthly architecture, unusual materials, brilliant colors, and beautiful embellishments when appropriate.

NO! That won't do at all! It should only be realistic! Don't you know realistic art is supposed to look brown and ugly?!

I'm just kidding. It sounds gorgeous. I love fantasy beauty can't wait to see more of your fantastic art and animation. <3

The story takes place in a small nation in the world's southern hemisphere called the Dyrwood (DEER-wood).  The Dyrwood is a heavily forested, coastal region where colonial powers from across the ocean have settled and formed an uneasy relationship with the local residents, tribes of orlans and elves who are protective of the ancient ruins of Eír Glanfath on the forest's interior.  Eír Glanfath was an ancient melting pot of races that built elaborate, often massive, structures out of a living shell-like substance called adra.  Though the fate of the ancient Glanfathans is unknown, their dangerous and complex ruins show evidence they possessed extensive knowledge of how souls work.  For this reason, all of the surrounding colonial powers aggressively fight for the chance to explore and plunder Glanfathan structures, often bringing the local tribes into conflict with their relatively new neighbors -- and the neighbors into conflict with each other.

This... is... actually a fantastic idea! Beautiful forests and ruins are my favorite parts of most fantasy games and the entire continent seems to take place in it. I also think it sounds like a rather simple but effective way to introduce fairly realistic racial and ethnic conflicts (besides the old "good against evil" or "ancient evil arises to conquer" conflicts of many old games) without necessarily resorting to the old "people are bastards" idea that seems to permeate modern fiction. (Not that I think people won't be jerks in this story, but it sounds like fertile moral grey ground for realistic conflict.)

The central character in the story is a newcomer to the Dyrwood, a man or woman who is caught up in a bizarre supernatural phenomenon.

Actually, this confuses me. Why are the elf and orlan protagonists new to Dyrwood if his or her people are native there? Well--that's a dumb question--I guess the individual was born and/or raised elsewhere and only recently came over? It seems believable, though I confess I was hoping for the chance to play one of the natives when playing an elf and orlan; after reading the last paragraph. 

Oh well, it matters little. I'll have fun anyway. This game sounds fantastic in every way. I can't wait till it comes out! It seems like you're creating a masterpiece! <3

Edited by Faerunner

"Not I, though. Not I," said the hanging dwarf.