Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #48: Documentary News and More Arcanum

project eternity documentary adam brennecke arcanum

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

The Guildmaster

The Guildmaster

Administrator

• Admin
  • 642 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Project Eternity the Documentary Update
Article by Adam Brennecke, Executive Producer and Lead Programmer

pe-Documentary.580.jpg

In Update #23 Feargus announced that Obsidian would fund a documentary of the making of Project Eternity without using a dime from the Kickstarter funding. Here's a behind-the-scenes of the behind-the-scenes and some other tidbits about the documentary.

We've been working with the documentary team, Tony Jacobsen and Michael Mitchell from Creative Lane Media, for some time. Tony and Mike are very professional guys with years of experience making films, and have experience working with the games industry. They will be with following us with their fancy cameras for the entire production of Project Eternity.

Our documentary will be a full movie and released in its entirety when the game is complete. We are targeting a 45 minute film that covers the entire process of the making of Project Eternity from the early days of the Kickstarter, into preproduction, all the way through production to finishing it up and going gold. There will be footage from our team meetings, informal discussions, scrums, and major milestone events.

The room pictured above is an office at that we transformed into a small film studio. It will be used to shoot one-on-one sit down style interviews.

Documentary FAQ
When can I get the Documentary?
The documentary will be released when Project Eternity is finished. We will have more details when we get closer to the Project Eternity beta.

How do I get it?
If you already backed at the $20/$25 tier level (and Slacker Backers via PayPal thus far) and above you will be able to stream it. At the $35 tier level and above you will be able to download it, and at the $140 tier level (and physical tiers above) we will include a DVD / Blu-ray. You can still get access to the documentary stream if you donate to the project today via the Slacker Backer pledge at the Eternity website.

pe-CreativeLaneDocumentary.300.jpg
Tony and Mike from Creative Lanes Media

Season 0: Season of the Wolf (Ghosts), Parts 4, 5, 6
Article by Darren Monahan, HTML monkey

The truth behind Season 0's naming reveals itself in... ghosts. Note that this recording was done at the same time as last season, so any fixes or interface errors will not be fixed again until, uh, the real Season 1. (Ed: Yes, that means Chris is probably not using the world map enough quite yet. :))

We'll be recording a new batch soon and I'm passing along feedback from YouTube comments and our forums.

PART 4

lpa-part4.280.jpg

PART 5

lpa-part5.280.jpg

PART 6

lpa-part6.280.jpg

Next week's update we will have a movie showcasing some of the progress we've made on prototype 1! Stay tuned!

• Jaesun and Wasabi like this

Zed

Zed

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:no
  • Xbox Gamertag:lol, no
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Thanks for the update. Not as exciting as next week's update will be... but still.

Please ask Tim Cain to sit in on one of MCA's Arcanum sessions to give some dev commentary. That would be awesome.

• Jaesun, Lysen, lolaldanee and 4 others like this

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6517 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Thanks for following up on my continuous questions about the documentary :p

Interesting that you're going with a movie style rather than Double Fine's episodical method, but I suppose that makes sense considering the weekly/bi-weekly updates that you have been doing.

Good stuff (y)

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6122 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Lephys
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I just want to say that it's awesome of you guys to take the time to show-and-tell what you're able to in a weekly update, rather than simply saying "Meh, there's nothing super major to share right now, so we'll just go dark for a few weeks."

So, thanks for the update, ^_^! And that's pretty cool that you've got a film crew documenting everything.

Maybe if you get the chance, you can make an instructional video for publishers on how to not inhibit development efficiency/quality. 8D

LordCrash

LordCrash

Grand Weresheep of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 668 posts
  • Steam:LordCrash88
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

No small trailer/teaser of the doc? The update is good but it would have been much better with some video coverage....

I'm not interested in watching other people at gaming so.... :p

• fortuntek likes this

harhar!

harhar!

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I neeed more MCA :(

AGX-17

AGX-17

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1709 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
"I hated ghosts in Fallout 2. It wasn't my idea." best thing he said in the Arcanum videos to date.

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 4443 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • Backer

The documentary should be really cool and will be a fantastic nostalgic and sentimental piece to watch many years down the line.  Once Project: Eternity (under its final title) comes out and sells like a bajillion copies (due to its inherent awesomeness) and all the folks at Obsidian are sipping Shipwrecked 1907 Heidsieck Champagne out of jewel encrusted platinum chalices while driving Bugatti Veryron 16.4 Grand Sport Vitesses, it will be cool to look back at the game being made and thinking that I, in a very small way, helped make that happen.

/wipes away future tear of happiness

//high-fives future self

• ShadySands and JFSOCC like this

SinoSamba

SinoSamba

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Steam:SinoSamba <(-'.'-)>
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

The wolves are there to tell the player "Listen to the prick when he is trying to explain the game UI to you who don't read manuals". :p These videos are more fun than they are supposed to.

HorseFD

HorseFD

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 8 posts

Thanks for the update. Not as exciting as next week's update will be... but still.

Please ask Tim Cain to sit in on one of MCA's Arcanum sessions to give some dev commentary. That would be awesome.

Yes please, this would be amazing.

JWestfall

JWestfall

Beer Taster of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Silver Backer

Just checking in to say thanks for keeping on with updates, even small tidbits like this are a great way to maintain "presence" with your backers and stalkers fans here.

The documentary sounds great, can't wait.

Shadenuat

Shadenuat

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 591 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Clockwork Knight said

Arcanum: Of Wolves and Worldmap Obscura

Botahn

Botahn

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Silver Backer

This documentary is a really good idea. Just could we have subtitle in different languages for those who don't understand english very well (like me I confess ^^).

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7647 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Adam's rockin' that black leather(?) jacket. :dancing:

I like that the doc's going to be more of a complete film, rather than in multiple installments. I'm still used to movie docs being that way and can't get used to all the "watch our daily/weekly 5 min long making of/preview clips now!" stuff. Guess I don't like having to remember to keep track of such things...I like having it all in one shot - don't have to see it as it happens.

• wanderon likes this

Faerunner

Faerunner

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 114 posts

How are you guys making me love you more and more every time I think I can't possibly love you any more than before?

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6517 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Adam's rockin' that black leather(?) jacket. :dancing:

I like that the doc's going to be more of a complete film, rather than in multiple installments. I'm still used to movie docs being that way and can't get used to all the "watch our daily/weekly 5 min long making of/preview clips now!" stuff. Guess I don't like having to remember to keep track of such things...I like having it all in one shot - don't have to see it as it happens.

The Double Fine ones are actually very good, they're about 30 minutes each. Not including the 'side' episodes.

Edited by Sensuki, 02 April 2013 - 10:02 PM.

Mico Selva

Mico Selva

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Nice update. Arcanum wasn't as funny as last time, but it's nice to see Chris doing some progress.

Remember, Chris: Tim Cain made this game specifically to torment You (no pun intended). But You can ruin his efforts by reading the manual. ;)

Looking forward to next week's update.

• Lysen likes this

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5627 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Filler update. I suppose it was too early to expect something meaty given the team was busy working on the prototype, but it was nice to hope. Oh well, better than nothing.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 7647 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

The Double Fine ones are actually very good, they're about 30 minutes each. Not including the 'side' episodes.

I still prefer such things to be a one-shot thing I can sit down and watch one evening. I guess I'm just don't crave that much info all the time. :)

Edit: nothing wrong doing it the other way, btw. I just wouldn't watch them all until they were put into one giant DVD where I could pick and choose which ones I'm interested in. :lol:

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3086 posts
  • Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Filler update. I suppose it was too early to expect something meaty given the team was busy working on the prototype, but it was nice to hope. Oh well, better than nothing.

It might just be me but it seems to me that the two latest updates were like this to not steal to much attention from the Torment kickstarter.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: project eternity, documentary, adam brennecke, arcanum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users