Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Kickstarter thread (PnP edition)

Kickstarter

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

Calrabjohns

Calrabjohns

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Calrabjohns
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
All the working drafts are up for pre-PP pledgers to Chuubo. I'll make inquiries as to whether the Dropbox with all the backer files will be accessible to PP pledgers as it was for KS people. Each update was a big factor for the initial people and anyone who might be interested here should get the same opportunity. I'm sure something will be worked out.

In the interim, I'll pass on two other PnPs that somehow eluded the very thorough and helpful rjshae (I didn't know about half of the ones listed just now so not a big coup bringing these here :p) I'm still making my way around here so I'll have to write out the names before the link. They won't display neatly. Sorry. I'll try to otherwise be as helpful and informative as rjshae.

Barbarians of Heavy Metal the RPG: It's described as a post-apocalyptic rock & roll RPG in the 31st century. It uses a version of the BoX system developed by Simon Washbourne and utilized previously/presently in Barbarians of Lemuria. I've tried to do some sleuthing re: what that is exactly but divorced from describing Lemuria I wouldn't be able to find out. They want to bring back traditional PnP RPGs in the sense of packaging everything you need into one thing, which they try to do in regular and novel ways. The novel one being an app that can run and apparently holds everything needed (Android only for now). Also in print and PDF. From a cursory read of Heavy Metal though, it seems like a tabletop Brutal Legend (a videogame by Double Fine about heavy metal that mixed third person action-adventure with strategy games). Could be fun. $5,286/$15k with 22 days to go. The first link is pre-KS chronicling the construction of the game. Next is for KS itself.

http://www.strangest...of-heavy-metal/

http://www.kickstart...y-metal-the-rpg

Mechanica: Empires of Blood and Steam- "A unique game combining steampunk and material from the works of H.P. Lovecraft, set on an alternate earth full of horror." $2,927/$3,750 with 27 days to go. Their description seemed concise enough to let it speak for itself.

http://www.kickstart...m-core-rulebook

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5647 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Kickstarter Backer

That mechanica project looks pretty cool. I just watched their video and read the page.

Edited by Walsingham, 19 July 2013 - 01:53 AM.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4558 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Tears of a Machine -- mecha anime-style RPG with teenage pilots; currently at $5,056/$7,000 with 69 hours to go. Might still make it...
  • Ponies for Pathfinder -- a... ahh... pony-based setting, currently at $2,509/$3,850 with 25 days to go. Shades of Bunnies & Burrows.
  • The Arcanum 30th Anniversary Edition -- An updated release of the Arcanum Role-Playing System, currently succeeding at $2,340.
  • N.R.G. System Core Rulebook -- sword-and-sorcery setting based on d20, combined with an "Energy" system; currently succeeding at $2,161 with 17 days to go.

nikolokolus

nikolokolus

Bridge Troll of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1164 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

If people are interested in pulp fantasy and Sword and Sorcery types of settings (Conan's Hyperborea, etc.) this one looks kind of interesting and the guys working on it have quite a bit of experience in the industry.

http://www.kickstart.../primeval-thule

Just 35 hours to go.

Edited by nikolokolus, 30 July 2013 - 06:56 PM.

Calrabjohns

Calrabjohns

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Calrabjohns
  • Kickstarter Backer
I backed Red Aegis but I might not stick with it. The concept is cool---progression through family dynasties---but I probably need to cut back lol. Reason I'm bringing it up is I secured the last $40 tier slot which entitles the pledge to any SGs reached during the course of the campaign. I'll have a better idea around the five day left mark as to whether it's worth it for me to remain with it and as a courtesy I wanted to let anyone here know when I'll be releasing that slot if I do. If I do and it's of interest to anyone, please PM me. I'll wait two days before releasing it otherwise so as to give anyone else that I can't talk with a chance to pluck it up.

Sorry if any of that sounds unsavory.

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 6704 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock

Well, I got the PDF versions of my Numenera books (Core Book & Players Guide).  I'll get my physical Numenera Core Book in about 2 weeks. I guess I have a lot of reading to do.  

/rubs hands together

Edited by Keyrock, 04 August 2013 - 05:56 PM.

nikolokolus

nikolokolus

• Members
  • 1164 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Well, I got the PDF versions of my Numenera books (Core Book & Players Guide).  I'll get my physical Numenera Core Book in about 2 weeks. I guess I have a lot of reading to do.  

/rubs hands together

The Player's Guide is pretty nice so far.  I wasn't quite ready to spring for the full (dead tree) guidebook at $60 bucks, but I'm considering it now.

Keyrock

Keyrock

• Members
  • 6704 posts

/rubs hands together

The Player's Guide is pretty nice so far.  I wasn't quite ready to spring for the full (dead tree) guidebook at $60 bucks, but I'm considering it now.

Yeah, I'm only about 40 pages or so into the core book so far, but I'm really liking the system, it seems very flexible, fairly simple, yet gives you a lot of control over your actions.  I like the idea of being able to apply extra effort into actions whenever you feel the need to, but it draining your stat pool and leaving you with less to work with and more vulnerable as the encounter progresses.  Obviously I can only speculate as to how well it will work until I actually put it into use in a campaign (whether as a GM or a player).

Edited by Keyrock, 07 August 2013 - 06:36 AM.

• nikolokolus likes this

nikolokolus

nikolokolus

• Members
  • 1164 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm keep teetering on the fence of whether to purchase (yet another) rule-set and then I ask myself, "when am I ever going to be able to play/run a Numenara campaign?"  I just barely scraped together enough people recently to play Castles and Crusades, and I've got Dungeon Crawl Classics beckoning me to use it from my bookshelf.  If people start bugging me to run a science-fantasy or Dying Earth game, then maybe, but for now I think I'm going to pass.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4558 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

A few more:

• Pirates & Dragons, the RPG -- "Pirates Love Gold! Dragons Love Gold! When the terrors of the sea meet the terrors of the sky, there's bound to be trouble!" Treasure seekers journey to the new world, only to discover dragons. Rules based upon Renaissance D100 system. Includes a hardcopy rulebook. Currently £1,205/£12,000 with 31 days to go.
  • Ronin: Chrome & Shadows -- "A post-apocalyptic cyberpunk setting for Savage Worlds. Massive metroplexes, syndicates and megacorps in an irradiated wasteland." The game is licensed and undergoing testing. Includes a PDF core book; no physical copy. Currently at $2,221/$6,000 with 14 days to go.
  • Inscrutable Puzzlements: An Anachronistic Victorian Era RPG -- "An original ruleset accompanied by a Victorian setting with Gothic horror, steampunk, mystery, and fantasy elements." Succeeded at $1,700.
  • Parahuman System Free Superhero Campaign Setting -- "Parahumans have always been with us, though we have not always recognized them as such.  In ancient times they were worshiped as gods and demigods. Today, they are worshiped as celebrities." Succeeded at $705.

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5647 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm liking the inscrutable puzzlements one. It's a good pitch.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4558 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It looks like Kickstarter is working out pretty well for most indie PnP RPG projects. Of the Kickstarter projects listed in this thread prior to August 10th, most are, or have been, successful... a few spectacularly so. I only found two that failed to reach their goals:

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4558 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

In terms of funding success, here's the top ten Kickstarter list for RPG rules and supplements:

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5647 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

**** me. That's good going.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4558 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It's interesting that the Fudge-based Fate system did so well--the original goal was $3,000! I'd never heard of it before.

There's a lot of potentially good gaming material there; I particularly want to have a look at the Traveller and Glorantha releases.

nikolokolus

nikolokolus

• Members
  • 1164 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

If people are looking for an alternative to pewter/plastic minis, these hardwood tokens (and other stuff) seems like they could be pretty good.  I backed at a pretty modest level and the guy running the campaign has been very communicative at a one-on-one level.

http://www.kickstart...-playing-tokens

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4558 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Here's a few more:

Plus an intriguing virtual desktop for tabletop-style RPG: 3D Virtual Tabletop: Visually Stunning RPGs on iPad, Android

Keyrock

Keyrock

• Members
  • 6704 posts

I'm liking the sound of Jadepunk.  I love me some wuxia and I love me some steampunk.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4558 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The Kickstarted Traveller5 got a somewhat low rating on rpg.net, saying it was sparse on substance and needs work. That's unfortunate.

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5647 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

The Kickstarted Traveller5 got a somewhat low rating on rpg.net, saying it was sparse on substance and needs work. That's unfortunate.

Not sure I fully understand how a 656 page book can be sparse on substance... But stuff like leaving out an index seems weird.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kickstarter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users