Susan Wilson's Kickstarter discussion (split topic)

So is this a real scam now or are people actually overblowing this? I've read some stuff here and there, but I am not really sure what to think about it right now.

That's a matter of opinion, but even some of the Kickstarter backers are beginning to have doubts apparently (see first link).  She hasn't made a KS Update since beginning of last October.  The game was supposed to be completed in September, I believe. 

She released a 15 minute demo last October and then hasn't updated the backers since (at least not according to the Kickstarter Page).  The demo was supposed to be Chapter 1 and was ironically titled 'Broken Promises'.

I did link above (3rd link) to an e-mail she sent to backers a few days ago supposedly saying she'd lost all their e-mail addresses and couldn't send out some fulfillment items unless people resent their e-mail addresses, sizes, etc.  She's also selling the demo for $7.99 on her website encouraging people to make their own game (???).

Hey, it's not like it involved millions of dollars -- it was just such a trainwreck from the beginning, I thought I'd give an update once I stumbled across the thread earlier today.

• Like 1

I'd like to be the first to welcome back an underdog game designer to all you folks. He was part of the team (the brains in fact) that made Baldur's Gate so successful, playing a prominent role in that legendary series you all know and love. And now, after a thirteen year long hiatus he's back and ready to deliver a revolutionary gaming experience for all of you to enjoy.

If I'm interpreting him correctly (he can be a bit stingy with words, the hallmark of a brilliant mind), this new Kickstarter project is to be a party based RPG affair featuring great companions, a large open world, real time combat (with pause) all powered by the Feed V.1  engine. However that technology is very expensive, being one of the new "finite" engine systems that are used up in clusters that need to be reacquired periodically. That's why we need your help guys!

Now I couldn't get much information out of him - but when asked about the setting, he looked at me with a mysterious smile and said: "our adventure is set in Cedar, a realm of infinite possibility". "Cedar is a world in peril, enclosed in web of criss-crossing bindings made of a mysterious and unbreakable substance. The inhabitants of Cedar are forced into repetitive, spinning, physical labor for the pleasure of the titanic overlords that watch from beyond the impassable barrier. They live in squalor, makeshift housing, built from the scraps the titans occasionally abandon in Cedar." When I asked our friend, where this unconventional idea came from a dark shadow seemed to pass over his eyes, "...I live it." was all he said.

Mr B., for that is our friends name was reluctant to share any further details with us. "There is much to be done, and my time with the machine is severely limited", he said, before turning back to the laptop to code furiously. We did manage to get a rare glimpse of the reclusive designer hard at work:

pet_boo.jpg

Pledge now and support Mr. B! Glory to Cedar!

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 5

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Let me guess:

MCA was talking about stretch goals

Brenda was talking about how even established veterans need to be properly prepared for what exactly they're trying to sell

Susan was talking about ways to maximize your income through crowd funding

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Hahah, I like the "sample map" side by side comparison pic in that forum thread. Hahaha.

Not that I really blame a 9 year old for that ... assuming she's actually the one mostly working on it and not her mother. It's still funny, tho.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I can't even understand why people gave money to this in the first place. What did they expect would the outcome be? The next Minecraft? The best rpg ever created?

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I can't even understand why people gave money to this in the first place. What did they expect would the outcome be? The next Minecraft? The best rpg ever created?

The draw was helping women in technical fields, but even that falls apart if you think about it for longer than a minute.

So is this a real scam now or are people actually overblowing this? I've read some stuff here and there, but I am not really sure what to think about it right now.

No offense, but this was blatantly a scam from day one.

Edited by Bryy