Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter

C2B

I liked their simple FAQ list, especially the answer to the "How long is the game?" type question, heh. And from the looks of things, they probably won't have trouble at least getting the 400K. Over half-way there in 4 days. So yay.  :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I liked their simple FAQ list, especially the answer to the "How long is the game?" type question, heh. And from the looks of things, they probably won't have trouble at least getting the 400K. Over half-way there in 4 days. So yay.  :)

I'm hoping they can get into 1 million-ish territory.  That would give them enough funding to make it a really deep game.

:)

If I had to guess right now, I'd say they end up at about double their initial funding goal (800k).

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

You want to help the funding of Larian's fine new RPG Divinity: Original
Sin a bit more than you've already done and spread the word about it at
the same time?

Well, here's your chance: Join the Weresheep of
Original Sin (WOOS), a bunch of die-hard fans of Divinity in the
kickstarter comment section! evildevil.gif

How
to become a member? It's quite simple: Upgrade your pledge by 6 $ and
you're in. Yes, it's really that simple. You don't have to pass a test,
you don't have to choose a specific tier. The cult of the Weresheep of
Original Sin is open to everyone as long as s/he adds this small fee of 6
$. If you've done so simply expand your Kickstarter-Username with "-
Weresheep of Sin" or "WOOS" and start commenting on Kickstarter. Proudly
demonstrate your membership to this very special cult of the most
devoted Divinity fans and help spreading the word about our movement
among all backers of Original Sin and other projects on kickstarter!

Why
exactly 6 $? Well, it's the diabolic number and as we're weresheep we
considered the number quite appropriate. And as the weresheep infection
spreads over Rivellon and your addiction to Divinity gets bigger you may
decide for yourself to even up your contribution to 11 $, the number of
elemental sin and evilness. devil.gif

What
do you get in return? Nothing apart from the feeling of being a special
fan amongst some already extraordinary people. Yes, it's a matter of
fandom, passion and love. There is no physical or digital reward in it.
Don't feel impelled to do so, this is just our way to demonstrate our
love for that kind of CRPGs and to support the funding of Divinity:
Original Sin.

horsey.gif

Note: The text is based to great extend on the text for the Obsidian Order (which is Farudan's
work). But I don't think he would have anything against it and I'm at least a funding member
of the OOoE  as well.... ;)

35167v4.jpg

They've admitted they were looking at starting after GDC, and hadn't realized both SotA and TToN would be launching when they did. They'd already done a few articles with the press that were on standby to pump initial interest in their Kickstarter, but one of the outlets jumped the gun and they ended up deciding to launch then to avoid losing the press surge.

Yeah, they could hardly be better on the saying the right thing and showing the right things front. OTOH their timing is atrocious which is almost certainly the reason for the rather more tepid response than they deserve.

I think another reason is that their KS isn't so much to propose/create the game, but to expand/enlarge the game they're already making. The game is already largely in process/made, right? The KS is to raise funds to improve and expand it. I've tended to observe that such KS don't tend to raise the "millions" because folks are less willing to give millions to expand something that could/will be released regardless. Not saying it doesn't/couldn't happen, just it makes it less likely, imo.

So I'll be quite happy if they just reach a couple hundred thousand above their official goal.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yeah, they could hardly be better on the saying the right thing and showing the right things front. OTOH their timing is atrocious which is almost certainly the reason for the rather more tepid response than they deserve.

I agree the timing could have been better, but the response has still been pretty good.  They're already 76% of the way to their funding goal, they'll reach it easily, and both TToN ans SotA end this week.  Hopefully this means that they'll have good steady funding throughout the next couple of weeks and a great big surge for their final few days, assuming no other big time project launches around that time to take attention away from them.  I still think they can double their funding goal.  We can only speculate as to what they could have gotten had their timing been perfect.  I'm guessing 1.25 million-ish.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Wish I had $500 to spend, this

TLJPuzzle.jpg

would so be my pick for the Combo Designer...

So many years without RPGs to really look forward to and now it's like pouring good stuff...

Edited by marelooke

I agree the timing could have been better, but the response has still been pretty good.  They're already 76% of the way to their funding goal, they'll reach it easily, and both TToN ans SotA end this week.  Hopefully this means that they'll have good steady funding throughout the next couple of weeks and a great big surge for their final few days, assuming no other big time project launches around that time to take attention away from them.  I still think they can double their funding goal.  We can only speculate as to what they could have gotten had their timing been perfect.  I'm guessing 1.25 million-ish.

The big difference between this and the other high profile kickstarters is that they don't seem to be loosing steam as quickly. They are making like 1/3rd - 1/2 their first day pledges every day. Compared to torment and eternity who were down to less than 1/10 at this point.

The big difference between this and the other high profile kickstarters is that they don't seem to be loosing steam as quickly. They are making like 1/3rd - 1/2 their first day pledges every day. Compared to torment and eternity who were down to less than 1/10 at this point.

I think part of that may be due to the fact that Divinity: Original Sin didn't have the rocketship start to its campaign that  P:E and T:ToN had.  When it dropped off, it didn't seem as dramatic because the start wasn't as ridiculously crazy.  Either way, what we can do as supporters is tout the horn and bang the drum loudly once T:ToN and SotA conclude.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I think part of that may be due to the fact that Divinity: Original Sin didn't have the rocketship start to its campaign that  P:E and T:ToN had.

Yup.  Easier for it to be a constant trickle when you don't start with a huge spike.

Either way, what we can do as supporters is tout the horn and bang the drum loudly once T:ToN and SotA conclude.

No sense waiting until then if this is something you want to prop up, IMO.

Edited by alanschu
  • Like 1

I find it rather adorable why they launched early- I cannot imagine there's anyone else who'd treat RPGWatch as if it were GameInformer/ Gamespot/ IGN/ Kotaku, but it would have been far more sensible to just wait the two weeks until SotA and Torment were out of the way. You should aim for a different billing/ pay cycle and they have been a bit swamped PR wise as well. I actually think they are doing well under the circumstances, but they deserve to do better given the quality of their pitch. They got my money anyway, but they were always (well, barring steam exclusive) going to get that.

I suspect they'll end up with a million+ and have a relatively larger kick at the end but I think given the quality of their offering ought to get 2 million+. I agree with Lady Crimson that its approach of being more of a straight 'pre-order with bonuses' rather than 'fund us so we can make it at all' is likely to limit things, and Larian does not have the cachet of Obsidian or KS pedigree of inXile- but to balance that they have a huge amount more to actually show and demonstrate than either of those did.

• Like 2

And I want to add that I'm a bit proud that my wallpaper was shown in the video. :woot:

I LOVE this sort of thing.  Being able to creatively approach problems and solve them through unconventional means.

:yes:

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I had never played Divine Divinity, and just stumbled upon Larian Studios and this game, and I was sold on it pretty darn quick. Why? Mod Editor like NWN/NWN2's, and a great turn-based reactive isometric game. Until PE comes out, this will be my bread and butter.

Keyrock: Yep, that update is hilarious and very revealing of what kind of game DoS is. I recommend it to all CRPG-lovers out there. :)

EDIT: I also picked up the HD-enhanced Divine Divinity on Steam recently, and it's really great.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

And I want to add that I'm a bit proud that my wallpaper was shown in the video. :woot:

I LOVE this sort of thing.  Being able to creatively approach problems and solve them through unconventional means.

:yes:

I had never played Divine Divinity, and just stumbled upon Larian Studios and this game, and I was sold on it pretty darn quick. Why? Mod Editor like NWN/NWN2's, and a great turn-based reactive isometric game. Until PE comes out, this will be my bread and butter.

Keyrock: Yep, that update is hilarious and very revealing of what kind of game DoS is. I recommend it to all CRPG-lovers out there. :)

EDIT: I also picked up the HD-enhanced Divine Divinity on Steam recently, and it's really great.

I also think this game offers some really innovative ways to solve problems, I like it :)

I have never played any Divinity games either but I now intend to. Oh I will be pledging towards this game, I found the pitch sincere and I like the guy making it. Is he German?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I have never played any Divinity games either but I now intend to. Oh I will be pledging towards this game, I found the pitch sincere and I like the guy making it. Is he German?

Belgian, I think.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

They're Belgian, yup! 

And that sheep, well, blame it on LordCrash and the rest of us, soon we had made up this weird Weresheep trope kind of fan society for Divinity: Original Sin, and we began showing ridiculous youtube clips and made weird avatars. SO, basically, it's D:OS' version of Obsidian Order of Eternity. :)

• Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Larian is a Belgian company from Genk, but there work people from all across Europe/the world. :yes:

Btw that's the weresheep wallpaper for Divinity: Original Sin which was made by me:

i4jtdi.jpg

Edited by LordCrash
  • Like 4
35167v4.jpg